Ever consider selling just because you don't drive it? | FerrariChat

Ever consider selling just because you don't drive it?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tim1137, Jul 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have literally been going back and forth on this for months now... I love my car, but I never drive it. And it is an expensive garage decoration, and insurance isn't exactly free either. I bought my 360 expecting to put 5K miles on it at least this summer. Well summer is half way over and I've only hit maybe 900 miles on it all summer. Not nearly enough to justify owning it I think.

Its a wonderful car, exactly the spec I wanted. Rosso Corsa with tan interior, manual transmission, shields, Daytonas etc. The perfect cookie cutter car. And it is in damn good shape too, took me forever to find it.

I have considered selling it because I just don't use it, but am worried about giving up such a nicely spec'd car, because I doubt if I wanted to buy another that I would ever find one as good as this.

Has anyone else been through this dilemma? First world problems I suppose right?

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

#2 ferraripete, Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
    all the time. I have no time for my cars sadly. the rising market on the cars I own has me seriously thinking of cash and beneficial use.

the reality however is that I will probably hold and enjoy the garage art...there is value there too of sorts.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I drive mine every weekend that I can... and I still worry I'm not driving it enough. I think secretly its because I want to DD it. ;)

Why aren't you driving it? What's holding you back? Too busy at work? Worries?

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #4 Kevin Rev'n, Jul 30, 2014
    I had that problem with my last car. It was appreciating so quickly that I just couldn't bring myself to use it. That is a bad/good place to be but you... Why don't you schedule yourself a nice drive somewhere? Use a vacation day. Make a long weekend, rack up some miles. If this sounds like a waste of time or you dont enjoy yourself you will know what to do. The truth is that you wont miss the car one bit if you replace it with something you enjoy and that fits your lifestyle better. IMO of course

5. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Just work, it not because I don't want to drive it, there is just no time to drive it. I find myself driving it about once every 2 weeks for a short while on the weekend at best.

When I am here at my desk at work, I think about it for a bit, and tell myself to sell it, because that is what makes the most sense. Then i go home and peek into the garage and see it, and decide to keep it. It's a vicious cycle, happens every day lol.

6. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    if you don't drive it because you are worried, stop worrying and drive it or sell it since you will never enjoy it. If you don't drive it because too busy at work, etc. well we are all friends here so lets be rude...get a life and enjoy the car :)

First time parking it the student parking lot at work was scary but now I am fine.

7. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    I had the problem too, with several cars. I think that in general, the longer you own a car, the less you drive it because the thrill tends to wear off. Does not apply to evryone of course.

I am not there with my 360 yet.

If you find you are forcing yourself to drive it (like if you are under time pressure or are tired or would rather do something else), then it may be time to get somethnig else. With me though, I find that when I do this I am glad I did.

Maybe join a club and go for drives?

8. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Some years ago I sold my very clean, low mileage white 89 930. Boy do I regret that. I knew it was a keeper but sold it anyway (at the bottom of the market), just wasn't driving it that much.

You could always buy another Ferrari. In my case the 930's have gone up so much I can't buy one and keep the Fcar. With the Fcar, I make time to drive it. Remember, you have one just the way you like and that might be harder to come by later on.

If you decide to sell, someone on fchat just lost their car to an accident, maybe he would be interested.

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I consider myself lucky that I can drive mine to work AND that work is a private covered parking lot AND we have only 10 employees. This is a nice combo that affords me the opportunity to drive my car and enjoy it a couple of times a week. It also helps that my commute is about 20 miles one way and a nice scenic 2 lane freeway so the car is getting regular good exercise.

Are you sure you cant use it to drive to work? I find myself taking the long way home quite often!

10. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Many of us have treasured cars that we don't drive as often as we'd like to, for various reasons. Assuming that the financial aspects of ownership are not a problem, make it a point to drive the car, but only when you are really in the mood to do so. If you do this, every drive will be special, and while the car may be "garage art" most of the time, you and it will have a little secret between yourselves. Fred

11. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Yeah, I suspect many of us face this dilemma. Too bad you haven't got the time to enjoy her...

Is it a coupe or spider?

I "might" have a buyer (my brother) if you do decide to sell...

12. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Its a coupe, feel free to have him contact me if he is in the market.

13. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Unless you are finding yourself stressed out over the financial opportunity cost, just keep it.

You are describing nearly all Ferraris owned! Duh, didn't you notice all Ferraris have no miles on them. It's because we can afford to have other cars to drive to the grocery store, we work, and we have lives outside of the cars. You probably have more than one toy and you can only devote so much time to any one. And you have a job and a family...

It sounds like you still like the car. So keep it and just consider it a pleasure vehicle, which is what these cars are. Pleasure vehicle means you use it to please yourself, and you don't need any other justification or rationalization beyond that.

But again, if you have any stress because of the costs then the car is not a source of joy and you should sell it because you don't need the stress of your possessions owning you.

14. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I sold my 430 this year.

Just never drove it. It was a great car, but too impractical for my purposes.

Last year, I put 900 miles on it. Took it for service and got the 3K dollar bill. Put it on the market a week later.

I have a M3 as my daily driver and I'm pretty sure that I'll jump back into a 911 again soon. Not a Ferrari, but with the 911, you can crive it everywhere and most of the upkeep is DIY.

15. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS

I'm in exactly the same situation; I hoped to put 4k miles or more on my 360 this year, but will be lucky to do 1,200 at the rate I'm going. And those miles are the same as yours - getting it out for an hour of "maintenance drive time" every couple weeks just to keep it from sitting.

In my case, between work, kid, girlfriend, band, etc., there's just never the time. I know selling it is the logical thing to do, but then I see it in the garage ... and decide to give it another season and try to get more use out of it.

Besides, I know if I sold it, I'd never find another titanium gray on cuoio 360 spider.

16. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Ever consider selling just because you don't drive it?

No.

17. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Yes... I have thought about selling.

I have 5 cars, and there is little chance to drive them. The testarossa goes out 3-4 times per year. Its a fun drive, but impractical, and too costly to park just anywhere.

Once you get past 1-2 cars, they become garage art more than anything else...

Bo

18. Sramsay

Sramsay Rookie

Jul 15, 2014
    I know it's all about 'driving' these amazing cars but I have to tell you that for me just going into the garage and admiring them is enough not to sell. The only reason I would sell my 360 spider is for ( heaven forbid) financial reasons. I think it's a piece of art. Probably for most of you the thrill is in the driving, and I agree, I race a 964 RS America, but I can just stare at that Ferrari all day long!

19. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    This is why I sold my boat...never used it...no time...my car is just a walk to the garage & I take it as often as I can....6000 miles in 11 months I've owned it. You can always get another when the time is right.

20. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Yes. I know exactly how you feel.

21. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    Nope... I drive my cars every day of the week. I commute to work, go to dinners and even grocery shopping in my 16M or Gallardo. It helps that the weather in the San Francisco Bay Area is perfect and we have some awesome roads between my house in the hills and work.

It also helps that my wife supports my habit of buying these cars on the condition that I drive them.

Can you drive it to work?

22. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    I sold seven Dec.7th last year. I had 47 by the end of that day I had 30. I found a customer yesterday for 17 at 2x scrap $600 a ton. none run mostly. Qp3, five and Biturbo 6. one Laforza, two TR8 triumph, one 2000 Aston Martin v12, 6 speed convert. with 1,800. the last is $15,000.

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Have a different exotic but with the same challenge. Actually, the less I drive it (within reason), the more special each drive feels. I find I think about it alot during the week, makes getting through the week easier.

My plan is to keep to 1,000 miles per year, drive it just for fun on weekends, maybe twice a month.

If its not a financial burden to keep it, you'll find its cheaper and just as theraputic as a analyst, girlfriend, or divorce lawyer.

24. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Come on mate, everyone can find some free time. We have probably all worked long hours, because that's how I came to own such a cool toy. Hard work pays off and if you can't find the time you're still working too hard!
    I also think at times I should sell it, but then like everyone else here, I have a peak into the garage.
    It's like a painting sitting on the wall in a way, but try to drive the painting when you feel the urge.
    I have no regrets and don't give a damn about it losing money.
    It's my toy.
    Find the time and remember the smile it brings at 8500 rpm!

25. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    #25 fabo, Jul 30, 2014
    Like most of you guys I am busy working, though after dinner atleast 2 times a week I will take it out for a quick spin ( 20 minutes? drive )
    It definitely helps with the stress at work

On weekends when the weather is fine I will take it down the coast ( 2 hour round trip ) with one on my sons

To be honest if I do not drive it, its gone........I see no point having a car I do not drive