Rattling sound in a Scud | FerrariChat

Rattling sound in a Scud

Discussion in '360/430' started by bart12, Aug 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I localized a rattling noise at the right lower footwell post. Where the door hinges the body. Anybody knows what's inside it? It's reproducible when the road is uneven. It's metal sounding so there something hitting the metal post inside or underneath it.

I thought maybe just dirt flying around when running but the driver footwell never had that.

Any ideas?

2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Might just be something loosely lodged behind the wheel well lining?

3. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Can't really figure it out, there is nothing behind it so hopefully you are right. It runs straight. I hope it's a cheap fix.

4. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Lower ball joint?

5. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    The ball joint is too far from the footwell that it would be difficult to hear it inside the cabin. Also there is no vibration in the steering wheel. I am sure it is just behind the foot well so I would have to remove the foot well lining

6. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm also having this sound! thought its normal? right now I'm having everything checked at the dealer... they said might be the ball joints too, lets see

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Try tightening all the suspension nuts and bolts. I did on mine and found that eliminated most rattles. I still think there may be something loose in the door though.

Do a search. Lower shock mount is a common cause. In fact, Ferrari increased the torque value on these bolts during the production run.

8. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I thought it was normal since it's a bare floor but this weekend, I spent a hour taping every loose thing inside the cabin and it is a regular reproducible anomaly that I can only say its in the foot well. It's so subtle that it can still be normal and to be honest, I don't care about it. But it seems to be abnormal so I would like it to be repaired if I am right.

9. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    You can hear the ball joint "click" in the car (its not too far away in other words). I have no idea what is causing your noise, but was responding to the ball joint comment above.

10. maxer

maxer Rookie

Oct 19, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Skip Miller
    I had the same rattle in my CS.
    I chased it for a while and found it to be the floor board that covers the battery. I put some foam rubber behind floor then re screwed the cover.
    Rattle solved
    If Scud is like CS as far as angled floor board that covers battery that could very well be the problem

Let us know
    Maxer

11. Jappo

Jappo Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    United Kingdom
    +1

12. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    please keep us posted.

Thanks

13. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I made sure the battery cover was not it by pulling it down and away from the area where it is rattling. I would remove the well cover this weekend and post what I find.

14. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Did your dealer said anything about the sound?

15. augustxke

augustxke Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2009
    MN
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    I have the rattle, metallic sound from both sides, hoping to get it in soon to look at ball joints and nuts.

16. Argento360

Argento360 Karting

Mar 9, 2006
    CA,AZ,NV
    Full Name:
    John
    This is interesting. I too have an occasional rattle or vibration sound coming from somewhere around the passenger footwell/door area but in my case it seemed to be set off more by the stereo speaker and not from just driving, so I've always assumed it was something inside the door or the door trim card itself. I've tried tightening the fasteners but have never been able to solve it or figure it out and I'm not ready to take the door card out -- yet. I hadn't thought about the battery cover, so I might try removing it next.

In any case, I am curious to see what you guys find for the Scud. Mine's a a '99 Modena, so this could be unrelated...

17. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    Mine is also like a small metal object touching the foot well post. Cant see what else it could be, maybe the balljoint. I just cant believe it just because our roads are not bad. Keep us posted.

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Common 430 type issue. Usually its something in the suspension but I forget exactly where. Like a kind of bobbling sound over small high frequency bumps.

19. Fiorano57

Fiorano57 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 23, 2010
    I remember someone saying it was the front sway-bar bushings needing grease.

20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Rattles are a good sign, then you can be sure that it is a Scud.

On mine once the spring mounts cracked and once the side skirts were lose. Both rattles were to fix without problems.

21. D16RR

D16RR Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Drew
    Mine was missing a bolt underneath the car that bolted the flat shielding to the underbody. Everytime I hit a bump at speed on rough patch, the shielding was vibrating/rattling.

Put a new bolt in, and the rattle went away. Check the small bolts holding these flat panels underneath your car and see if you are missing any or if some may have vibrated loose causing the rattle.

22. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    MD Leo

I would check. Thanks

23. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    I had a noise coming from the front right corner of the car. Really hard to specify exactly where. It used to happen only after 20 minutes of driving. Now it happens right away, its a lot more prominent and the steering wheel is starting to have a little give by a mm or so.
    Having it looked at this Friday, just hope they don't give me the old "sorry, can't replicate your issue sir".

Whatever thought you guys have I will go in and ask them to look at. Thanks

24. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    How many kms/mls do you have on the odometer ?

25. tscud

tscud Karting

Jan 16, 2014
    San Diego
    I have a little over 10,000 miles. The noises just start happening in the last 300 miles.