Ferrari Battery Charger question... | FerrariChat

Ferrari Battery Charger question...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Roadking80134, Aug 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
    Good morning! I have a Ferrari logo battery charger and I noticed it doesn't seem to be charging the battery. When I plug the charger into the wall, not connected to the battery, none of the three lights comes on. Does someone have one of these and can tell me if that's normal? I'm trying to trouble shoot a failed charger or failed wiring to the battery in the car.

Thanks!
    Rick

2. MVDESQ

MVDESQ Formula 3

Nov 25, 2010
    Greenwich, CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew & Kristen V.
    Do you have the big red one that goes in the fancy leather case? My battery recently failed and the charger had all three lights on even though car wouldn't start. I got a new battery and deltran charger as my car had the factory wiring under the wipers and a pig tail behind the seat. I feel the old Ferrari charger was not accurate.

3. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Buy a CTek....... Problem solved....

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    At least one LED should light when connected to the wall socket and the other end not connected to the car. A second should light once the car is connected.

5. andrews1958

andrews1958 Karting

Apr 29, 2013
    Maine / Namibia
    What model number would be the "best CTek" for a 2003 360?

6. bshah

bshah Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2011
    Chicago
  7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rick- The Zivans have not proven to be very reliable, but Zivan USA will rebuild it for you if you really want them to. Personally, I would take everyone's advice and get a CTEK instead. I have a CTEK I keep in the pretty Zivan Schedoni case. Break out the Zivan for a concourse.

8. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The stock charger is garbage. Like everybody says, "buy an aftermarket one"

9. Jeffs360spider

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jeff S
    I am an 04 360 spider. Can someone please tell me how to connect my CTEK charger to the battery for trickle charging. I have heard that I am not supposed to connect the charger directly to the batter but instead connect to some other area somewhere in the passenger area of the car.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Jeff it depends a little on whether your car has the leads from the factory and if your CTEK is the factory or aftermarket and if the latter if it came with tails ready to attach to the battery - once you've figured all that out there are very good threads on how to attach (try a search on CTEK in this section)

11. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #11 Black360, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    CTEK MUS 4.3 (93-56-864) with a CTEK 56-382 pigtail.
    Alan

13. Roadking80134

Roadking80134 Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    Rick S
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jeff- You can connect the CTEK directly to the battery with no problems. I usually connect the ground alligator clip to the chassis instead of the battery ground terminal, but it does not hurt to connect directly to both terminals.

With a full size battery charger, it is always best to use the battery disconnect switch before connecting. With a maintainer, current flow is so low, no problem connecting directly.

15. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Isn't the use of a trickle charger long term not a good idea as it can over charge?. The battery tenders will sense voltage and cut back the charge accordingly which trickle chargers (or regular battery chargers) cannot do.
    Alan

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    CTek is the way to go. Either the 4.3 or 7002 models for USA. I like connecting via the eyelets to the battery and use the quick connector. (All should be included with the tender).

17. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #17 Black360, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Yes, if you use a trickle charger that does not shut off when the battery reaches its full potential, battery damage can occur.

Since trickle charger voltage is typically greater than the full-charge voltage of the battery, a small amount of energy continues to be pumped into the battery, after the battery has accepted maximum charge. This can cause overheating, or even a rapid oxidation event :)

The terminology is confusing because different people use the term "trickle charger" in differing ways. Trickle charge is supposed to imply "slow charge" instead of "fast charge."

Anyways, "Float Trickle Chargers" or "Automatic Trickle Chargers" are designed to temporarily shut down when the battery reaches full potential, and then resume charging if the battery voltage drops.

Some companies market their products using all three words "Float," "Automatic," and "Trickle." I've attached a picture of one such product that caught my eye...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Jeffs360spider

Jun 25, 2014
    Northern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Jeff S
    I kept looking and looking and looking for a product in the picture and couldn't find one... unless she is for sale.

19. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    I use the more advanced CTeks. They do an amazing job. I think I have 5 of them. I travel a lot, and my cars stand for months..... Never an issue.

:D

20. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I was unaware my trickle charger was unplugged until I hopped in for a drive yesterday. How long should it take for the charger to top off the battery?

21. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There are a few variables...the state of discharge on the battery, and the output capacity of the battery maintainer you are using. Even Ferrari released more than one version of the Ctek...the earliest versions were around 1 amp. Later ones were a bit more...perhaps 3 amps. These were meant to "maintain", not recharge a completely discharged battery.

22. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Thank you. I ended up just getting a new battery as mine was 26 months old. What a PITA getting it back in. The + line bundle kept slipping back behind the battery and keeping one of the threaded posts with the bottom hook was a *%@#^! keeping it upright while I slid the battery in. Then the threaded posts would for some reason not reach the bracket. After an hour, I liked my mechanic a bit more! I got it in, what a job!

f355spider likes this.
  23. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    weird... takes me 20 min to replace my battery... it's just a weird position; and I can see if you are chubby to have an issue ...No offense :)