2,500 mile trip in a 360 | FerrariChat

2,500 mile trip in a 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by jtucker, Aug 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jtucker

jtucker Rookie

May 16, 2011
    #1 jtucker, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just completed my annual trip from Texas to Colorado in my 2004 360 6-speed. 2,500 miles in two weeks and the car was flawless the entire time. Getting out of the Texas heat was step one. Step two was enjoying my 360 on the beautiful mountain roads of Colorado. Turn off the radio, roll down the windows and listen to the engine sing!

This is the third such trip I've taken in the car, which I purchased in 2011 with 8,400 miles. I'm now only 100 miles short of the 25,000 mark and it just keeps getting better. Boardwalk Ferrari in Dallas performed the annual fluid service and belt service before I left.

I recently watched an episode of "Chasing Classic Cars" on the Velocity channel, in which the long time owner of a 246 Dino stated that he had a "responsibility" to take care of his car, which is why in three decades he'd driven the car less than 10,000 miles. I respectfully disagree with his point of view. Maintain these cars and drive them as they were designed to be driven!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Aaya

Aaya F1 Veteran

Jul 12, 2007
    Full Name:
    Wu Tsai
    Looks like a fantastic time. I doubt the Dino owner has any memories like your trip :)

I agree with you completely, drive the cars, sports cars aren't a picture to be hung on a wall or locked away in a garage!

3. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    You're an inspiration to us all! Tell us more, where did you go? Oh, and surely you have more pictures...

4. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    Love your car and your attitude! You have pretty much exactly what I hope to be shopping for next year, a 2002-2004 gated 360 that has actually been used and cared for correctly.

5. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for sharing!! Great write up, agreed drive them, why save it for the next guy.

6. nsortor12

nsortor12 Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2013
    Louisville
    Man, I'd love to do this!

Thanks for sharing this with us.

7. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
    Good for you! Please share more pictures!

8. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    The longest trip I had with my F430 was 400 miles. I enjoyed it but I wish it had a cruise control. Thats what made me tired. It would not be a good long distance driver really without it.

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    So I'm assuming that all traffic laws were obeyed ;)

10. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Good for you. I bet you had a smile on your face the entire time.

11. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Great testimony to the reliability of the 360. Sounds like a wonderful trip in an exciting car.

12. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    You should have bought a Bentley...no offense...:)

Most people here still belive that Ferrari cannot drive for more than 50 miles without bursting or melting... I strongly belive they have no idea what they are missing. Well done.

13. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I am jealous of your adventure. Am I reading this right? You have a 2004 Gated Manual car?

14. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    I wish more had this mentality. Drive it and if it breaks, fix it then repeat..

15. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    why should Ferrari break? I am curious..

16. jtucker

jtucker Rookie

May 16, 2011
    I always say I'm going to take more pictures on these trips but then end up focused on the drive!

I highly recommend Colorado highway 50 between Canon City and Salida, as well as highway 24 between Leadville and Minturn. 50 has high cliffs on one side and the road hugs the winding Arkansas river on the other side. 24 is a high altitude pass with fantastic elevation changes and views. An amazing drive in a Ferrari!

17. jtucker

jtucker Rookie

May 16, 2011
    One ticket received for 84 in a 60 on one of the mountain roads. I was utilizing a two lane passing zone and trying to get around a few cars before the road went back to one lane. Unfortunately one of the cars I blew by was a cop with his radar turned off. Upon being passed by a red Ferrari at speed he promptly flipped on his radar and got me. Oops! Fortunately he was really great about it. I told him I'd slow it down, to which he replied, "Why?" He wanted to know all about the car. Gotta love that!

18. jtucker

jtucker Rookie

May 16, 2011
    Yes, mine is a 2004 with a gated 6-speed manual. I spent five months looking for one back in 2011 and finally located this one in Austin, TX. Love the gated shifter!

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Awesome!! Yearly!? Oh man, I need to make this happen. I drove cross country earlier this year and it was awesome. I only took about 5 days though I believe. I need to do 2 weeks like you, that would be even more fun.

Agree on the sentiment about "taking care of cars". Enjoy the thing...connect with it. Hard to do that just looking at it.

20. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    WOW!!!

Just WOW!!!

Enjoy while you can, that is simply fantastic!!!

21. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Nothing replaces the memories from drives like these. The roads. The scenery. The people yo inevitably meet along the way.

22. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Using it as it was intended. Well done!

Looks like you have some awesome roads.

23. LEAVINU

LEAVINU Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Bravo bravo! Like many others have said; it's meant to be enjoyed while driving it!

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I went from Nj to Chicago over a long weekend . And went to Nc over a weekend. Much agreed , cruise control would be nice ...

Enjoy every mile, I do

25. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Great pictures!

I am still trying to get a group together to make a hill country drive sometime when it cools off here!

Enjoy, oh and send more pictures back!

S