Need Advice - Test Drive went south | FerrariChat

Need Advice - Test Drive went south

Discussion in '360/430' started by dcarroll95, Aug 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dcarroll95

dcarroll95 Rookie

Aug 7, 2014
    I test drove my 3rd 360 the other day. Drove 4 hours to get there, pics looked great online. Looked fantastic in the detail shop which was pretty dark, so I take it for a test drive. During the test drive I was very respectful of the car and almost floored it one time just to make sure it ran right.

Since I don't live in that town I asked him where to drive it and he directed me. We get off the highway and do a U-Turn then get back on the highway. The on ramp angles down 15 degrees, then it flattens out for 1 foot, then there's a weird 1.5" abrupt rise in the road like a tiny curb at the transition. SCRAPE! We both assumed it was fine and that was just the under side.

Got back to the detail shop and parked in the sun. The car had seen way too much outside time in Phoenix and was not nice example I was looking for, so I thank him and head back home.

2 days later - I get pics of the damage where it unfortunately scraped paint on the actual painted part of the bumper. Today I get the estimate of $1050.

The person accompanying the test drive is selling the car for the owner and the friend seems to be in the car business (I overheard him talking about another deal he was working on). I'm a little bummed that friend doesn't know the car well enough to see this coming (neither did I even though I drove a Gallardo for 3 years). Friend / co-pilot took me down a road that the car really can't handle. If you went down that same on ramp at the speed limit (as I did) it would scrape every time. An informed dealer that knew the car and area would not have taken someone on a test drive down that road.

To be fair, if I hadn't test driven the car it wouldn't be scratched. Before I called him back about the quote, I wanted to get the forum's ruling.

I was a serious buyer that took the day off work and drove 8 hours total, so I'm no joyrider. The car was rougher than I liked in person in the sunlight so I passed. I purchased another one a week later from a Lambo/Bentley dealer that sparkles and will post a happier post in 2 weeks with pics.

If this happened to you, would you pay all, half, or none? I sincerely thank you all for your votes / comments.

2. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    This is a tough one. At one level the driver (you) should accept responsibility for being the pilot and knowing what's in front of you. On the other hand, as you mentioned, the representative took you on that route and should have warned you of the upcoming obstacle.

As I am sure your aware, this is an issue of ethics, not actual financial obligation, you have to decide if you should be held responsible or not. The fact that they did not tell you about until two days later is why I personally wouldn't pay them anything, how do you know someone else didn't do more or all of the damage after the fact?

3. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Oh this is good one. I don't see how you can oblige their estimate unless thy have picture proof of how it looked before you scraped. To what level of "fix it" would they try for? Showroom new or how it was when you drove it? Too difficult to say what "exactly" it looked like before you drove.

Do you think think they will drop the price 1K going forward or fix it?

If the sales rep took you down the wrong road... there is no way you could have known the limits of the car since you didn't have a 360 then.

If it's truly your friend and he is in trouble over this and needs your help I might consider splitting the difference but there are friends and then there are friends. The dealership should have insurance for this kind of thing yes?

You might consider subscribing to F-Chat too. The regular subscribed guys would love to bat this one around! and... It is a good value!

4. chefcore

chefcore Karting

May 8, 2014
    Virginia
    +1

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    $1050 for a bumper spray? **** I just get a can of black and spray it over...

Agree with above, request. Pic from before..

6. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    Send them back an invoice for your professional bumper testing service. Unbelievable...

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Bumper respray costs $700 tops. That would be a high estimate.

If you think you screwed up, maybe pay half? I don't know honestly.

I'm very experienced at driving low cars on crap roads, so I know when a scrape cannot be avoided. If he put you in that situation, then it's his fault.

Sucks; good luck getting it resolved.

8. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think you should speak to the owner of the car. Bottoming out on a public road is not your fault if you are driving the speed limit or even close to the limit. The owners friend should verify that you were doing nothing out of the ordinary and that he directed you to take that route.

9. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If they can get $1000.00 out of every test ride maybe they don't want to sell the car.

10. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Let's see:

Dealer directs tester on which road to take, but omits that the car will scrape.

If there are no before pictures, it sounds like a money making operation to me.

11. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    #11 360+Volt=Prius, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    Same happened to me on first 360 test drive. He told me where to turn. Like Rainman "I'm a very good driver." This was just a bad driveway. I was really apologetic and the dealer tried to use this as leverage to get me to purchase (sleazy).

IMO If the damage was bad enough insurance would cover it, if not he will just fix it and write it off.

You owe this guy nothing, especially not 1000+ bucks! The dealer told me his cost of the repair would be 200$. I offered one time to pay 1/2 the cost and he declined and I did not offer again. Then again I did not give him a definitive no on the sale at that time so that's why he prob declined my offer.

In hindsight- the bumpers are fiberglass with flat black paint on the undersurface. I have done bodywork for years, and most damage to this area I can fix (including paint ) for next to nothing in 60-90 min!!

Short answer - don't sweat it, and don't pay a cent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If they sent you out by yourself and you scraped it, you might feel some responsibility. Since they did not and you had a seeing-eye copilot, legally and morally, you owe them nothing.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    At dealers we had cars damaged on test drives pretty often, sometimes extensive damage. One very famous baseball player wrecked a Daytona pretty badly.

Unless we could prove some negligence it was on our insurance.

If friend is acting as a broker and is not covered, sounds like his problem.

Send a letter back complaining about neck pain and tell him politely to **** off.

14. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Somebody here is taking the urine!

Even here in the usually polite UK this wouldn't fly

15. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Don't pay. His fault, not yours. He shouldn't have taken you down the road. It's his responsibility and you weren't driving reckless

16. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I reckon you are showing your genuine good nature which is a great thing these days, but in this case I wouldn't pay a cent.

Having said that, if this was a private sale, and it was an unknown road by both guys I might meet the guy half way.

Might.

17. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I agree here, don't pay. But don't be ****** and ignore them or blow them off. Cite your reasons and that your decision is final.

If, on the test drive, you got a speeding ticket, do you think they would pay for that? Nope.

18. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Also, I would be surprised if bumper did not already have scrapes before yours. 99.9% of bumpers are scraped on the bottom. Nothing you can do

19. Cyt

Cyt F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cyt- Chin
    Just imagine if it's your own car and someone else test drove it... What would you do?

20. 'Da Wolf

'Da Wolf Formula Junior

Jun 25, 2009
    Sadly not California
    As seems to be the consenus - I'd pay nothing. You seem like a stand up guy and this stinks of being a scam. Something in this whole story just doesnt sit right for me, on that basis I'd write them a cheque for $0.00.

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'd take out my can of flat black Krylon paint and spray it over. Worst case fill it in and spray over..

22. toil

toil F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Apr 23, 2014
    Can't believe all these people saying you aren't to blame. IMO you are 80% at fault. Yes he directed you the way to go but you were driving. Ultimately as the driver, and the person with the best view of the road (or at any rate the one who must always have his eyes on the road) you could've seen the change in the road and slowed down or taken it at an angle. Probably not but hey that's what they're gonna say

I wouldn't dispute paying for it. I would simply dispute the amount you have to pay. Insist on having someone of your choosing examine the photos of the damage and get a quote (providing they are expertly enough qualified).

Legally you should have to pay too (maybe things Are different in America). Was there any sort of contract that you had to sign for the test drive? In most test drives it's at least implied by the parties that you would be responsible for damage YOU caused whilst driving it. At the end of the day you test drove someone else's car and damaged it. Can't expect the guy accompanying you to know that some innocuous looking ramp has been poorly constructed with a 1.5 inch drop in it.

Strict liability is a *****. But for anything under the insurance excess I would think that would or should be the position under the law. Well I'm assuming a test drive would constitute a bailment and iirc that used to be strict liability. Maybe not anymore...and if not only defences are probably act of god (ie storm ruins car whilst driving) and malicious acts of 3p. Probably something else in there too **** knows.

Don't be that guy... Pay up bro.

23. BT ZR1

BT ZR1 Karting

Nov 22, 2013
    Toronto
    Admittedly your test drive was the cause. Some contribution on your part seems right.

24. Tim1137

Tim1137 Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2011
    Providence - Boston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    In my opinion it comes down to negligence.

Were you negligent in how you drove the vehicle? I say no, so I say you are not responsible. Only if the passenger had for-warned you of the potential damage from the road, and you still chose to go over it, would you be responsible in my opinion.

Ask yourself this: If you were test driving the car and a rock smashed the windshield would you pay for that? NO, because it wasn't your fault the rock was flying through the air, no one warned you that rock would be there, and you had no fair opportunity to avoid it.

25. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    You had both permission to drive the car and a "handler" to oversee and direct.

No liability.