First failure from my 430 Scuderia. Gearbox cover gasket. | FerrariChat

First failure from my 430 Scuderia. Gearbox cover gasket.

Discussion in '360/430' started by singletrack, Aug 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #1 singletrack, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    : (

Red arrow in picture denotes where it was leaking. Item #25 is the gasket. Video (not sure why it won't embed) shows it actually pushing some air out and gear oil mist. I found it on a trip home from Chicago. Got off at the first rest area, opened the door, immediately smelled gear oil. I couldn't find it at first, so I wiped it away, and drove 30 miles. It looked clear it was leaking from that area. Started the car, and you can actually see it bubble.

Sucks; will be calling Midwestern Auto Group tomorrow to have it taken to Ohio (no local dealer in Pittsburgh) for the official fix. I would just fix it myself to avoid the damn downtime if I didn't have the warranty : ) It's all labor plus a $70 gasket and gear oil. Interestingly, Ricambi lists 4 options for thickness. That seems odd to me; but perhaps for manufacturing tolerances? They offer 2.2, 2.5, 2.8, and 3mm thicknesses.

Anyway, made it home without dumping all my fluid, no overheating or anything. Drove very conservatively. Very unpleasant experience though for sure.

Oh well...looking on the bright side - I'm glad it happened before the annual service; I will just get that on the books now. Very happy it didn't blow out badly mid-session at the track. Very happy it blew out on the top of the gasket, and not the bottom - which would have led to a tow.

Anyone else had this failure?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Er3NaFtrA4
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. LEAVINU

LEAVINU Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Based on what I can make out in the video it seems like a very small leak. Have you checked the tq of that bolt right there? It's possible a re-tq might fix it; definitely worth considering given the downtime, etc with sending the car off.

Just a thought. ;)

3. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Good thought; I did : ) I actually had a ratchet and socket with me and they are not moving. The video does not show it well, but the naked eye reveals that there is literally a chunk blown out of the gasket right there : ( I think the only fix would be a ghetto external patch, which may last quite a while, but eh.

4. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So now I am considering fixing this myself. Earliest MAG can take the car is 9/9. Only $250 round-trip on an enclosed truck they own though which I think is quite reasonable.

Any experts know the proper troubleshooting for this? Is it simply the case that the gasket is bad, or is there additional troubleshooting to ensure proper pressure/sealing of other items in the gearbox when this failure occurs?

Does Ferrari have any online resource like BMW-TIS? Basically allowing a subscription service to the factory documents?

Thanks!

5. LEAVINU

LEAVINU Rookie

Jul 7, 2009
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Ah, ok yeah definitely needs a new gasket. An external may be a decent band-aid but then there's the constant concern of when will it let loose again.

6. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yah, it I were on a long-trip/rally I might be inclined to try something temporary/external, but there is no fixing this without pulling it apart.

I found the 430 spyder workshop manual. Definitely has some good info on gearbox etc, but does not really have directed troubleshooting steps for a given failure. Also does not appear to have info on actually opening/resealing the gearbox cover. I would hate for this to be a symptom of another problem (excessive gearbox pos pressure?), fix the gasket, then have it blow out again.

I may just have to switch to another project...oh well; first world problems : )

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #7 singletrack, Sep 22, 2014
    Heard from MAG and it is actually part 14460981 (internal seal) that failed. Another 2 weeks for the part, then I'll have to see about their transport schedule.

Item 23 in the below diagram. I assume this went, then blew out the external seal which is when I discovered it.

8. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I had a similar issue with my 08 scud. Small leak from a differential seal. The part itself was very cheap. Under $100. However, the it was very expensive on the labor. Total bill at the local dealer came out to be closed to $5000.

9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Interesting; appreciate the info. Good since I assume?

We'll see what is covered by Ferrari Power Warranty. Part is $10 on Ricambi haha.

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Oh and throwout bearing also leaking, so having them replace that as well "while they're in there" ; )

11. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    All good since I fixed it. However, I keep an eye on it :)
    How did you end up with your car? Did you fix it?

12. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Oil seals and oil leaks not covered on Power Warranty unfortunately. Ask me how I know.

13. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Steve,
    You are right.

14. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #14 singletrack, Oct 23, 2014
    Back! Very happy : )

Bill outstanding as MAG waits on Ferrari.

Headed to Pitt Race this Saturday; can't wait!

Hope everyone is having a good day! : )

15. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Glad to hear she's back in good health. Have fun at the track! I can't wait to return to RA in the scud next month.

16. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Glad she is back....let us know how the track day...and if Ferrari picks up the bill ultimately.

17. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks man! You too. Been driving RA in some games/sims; need to get out there.

Actually going to gopro this session.

Thanks man!

Will definitely post all the details I receive. Either way I'm happy. But if they don't cover anything then will have to weigh the actual value of the warranty offered by Ferrari. MAG seems to think it has a good chance of being covered.