Installing Front Challenge Grills in a 360 | FerrariChat

Installing Front Challenge Grills in a 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by traimpz348, Aug 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Sorry, I did a search for this, but do you have to take the bumper off to install these?

2. Speedster_4_me

Speedster_4_me Karting

Dec 10, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Yes, only way to mount the back adaptor/spacer in there.

3. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Bumper comes off. This is what I've been told. It's a pretty easy job I've heard.

4. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Take a couple of pic during the process if possible. I've always wondered how hard it was to switch those out.

5. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have a set in the garage. Twisted my ankle or I would have gone after it over the weekend. If I can crouch down, ankle still really swollen, I will do it next weekend and post some pics.

6. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    If you could post pictures and any tips you have along the way, that would be really appreciated. Good luck with the ankle!

7. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Removing the front bumper is (as VRSurgeon would put it) monkey easy.
    It literally takes longer to jack the front end of the car off the ground and remove the front tires than it does to take the front bumper off.
    Somebody posted a thread somewhere on here with a procedure + pictures.

After performing this prodecure no less than 10 times, I would recommend one additional step. Lay down some blue painters tape in a few places on the bumper where it meets the car. In the center, near the two sides and where the bumper ends (near the front wheel). Place a six inch piece on the bumper and another piece right above it on the car. Then, grab a pencil or a pen and gently draw a line on the tape, holding the pen straight up, using the car as a guide. Also, draw a couple of vertical lines on each of the pieces of tape such that the line starts on the upper piece of tape and ends on the lower piece of tape. On the ends where the bumper meets the wheel well, you only need to draw the vertical lines. I am realizing as I write this that it would probably help big time if I at least included some pictures. The point here is that you are drawing alignment lines in several places so that when you put the bumper back on, you can ensure that it will be in the same position as when you took it off. If you don't do this, you'll be pulling your hair out, second guessing where you thought the bumper was to begin with. Trust me on this.

8. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Want to help on Saturday?

9. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Good idea Software Drone.

I have also done this a number of times myself, it is not a big deal.

I like to pull the front wheels off, although, I have heard of people doing it by just turning lock to lock to get the front fender liner out.

Once the front wheels are removed you take out the front third of the fender liner, it's held in by phillips head screws. With that out of the way there are two 10mm (I think, maybe 12mm) nuts that hold the bumper to the slide adjuster just on the inside of the opening. Do this on both sides. Don't forget pull the lights out of the side markers or unplug them, I think its easier to just rotate the connector out of the light itself.

Next, remove the phillips screws that hold the bottom of the bumper to the front undertray.

Lay a couple of towels on the ground so when you remove the bumper you have something to set it on, they are rather cumbersome and front heavy, they tend to roll over on the front side.

Now open the trunk, you have to unbuckle the tool kit and then remove the carpeted panel on the front side of the compartment, one the center panel is out of the way pull the side panels back to expose the four nuts that hold the main bumper support on, I remember them being 17mm. once these are out you can slide the bumper straight off, two people make it easier although not required.

Now you cant set it on the towels and do your grill swap, the reinstall is just a reverse of above.

10. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I believe there are (or may be) some shims that help to align the bumper so that the gap with the front end is even all around. Be sure to note these and replace them exactly as they were. (I've never done this, but this is what I heard, or read).

11. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Your note reminds me of another trick. Use the blue painters tape to tape all the shims in place on each side. This works for both the front and rear bumpers.

12. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Will this be a libation enhanced event?
    :D

13. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #13 Kevin Rev'n, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. Speedster_4_me

Speedster_4_me Karting

Dec 10, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    If doing this solo:

-I would laydown a blanket underneath the bumper front section before pulling it off (has tendency to flip nose forward).
    -Add tape to fender edges and bumper corners (toward wheel area) not only for alignment but also accidental scratch as you are balancing and mounting the bumper back on.
    -Careful to line up the spacers/adaptors on both side to radiator openings before pushing in when reinstall.

I also don't remove the wheels as the car does settle differently once dropped and bumper gaps and angle changes slightly. So better to adjust everything as settled...

15. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Definitely some great precautionary tips.

16. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Is there any other kind?

17. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
  18. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
  19. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  20. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I did it with the help of my indie mechanic -- took about an hour. What grilles are you using -- pattern parts or OEM?
    Alan

21. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I haven't really decided yet. My guess is OEM is probably not worth the price compared to aftermarket?

22. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    The only significant difference is the framing around the tow hook hole, the aftermarkets I have used have a flat piece of metal around the hole, the factory is made from the same wire as the crosshatching in the grill.

Aftermarkets are half the price, and the savings is worth the difference IMO.

23. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    The aftermarkets I just got have a wire not a the flat metal.

24. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Any suggestions as to where to buy them?

25. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Deal!
    :D