360 Fuel pump leak (warning) | FerrariChat

360 Fuel pump leak (warning)

Discussion in '360/430' started by raywong, Aug 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I detected a faint gasolin smell when I was driving on wednesday. It reminded me of my left side fuel pump leak 3 years back. I stopped and checked, the smell (barely detectable) seem to be near the engine bay right side.
    Went to the mechanic next morning, 10 minutes to removed the right side cover, a puddle of fuel on top of the right side fuel pump.
    ordered the fuel pump immediately and had it delivered and replaced same day.
    Pay attention to any fuel odour if your 360 fuel pump is 10+ years old. I could have ignored the smell and kept driving, the fuel could have been ignited by the exhaust manifolds and there will be one more internet photo of "Ferrari on fire".

2. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I have yet to pull my covers but maybe it's time to check under there.
    Alan

3. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Its a quick job to pull the covers and inspect. Its also a good time to clean a bit behind the covers. :)

4. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The vent valves are also prone to cracking and causing a CEL.

5. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Danke for post, will now add on jobs to do checklist, my problem is I have lost the sense of smell.

6. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I open the engine cover after every drive. I always smell down each side of the engine bay for gas.

7. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Excuse the ignorance, but what covers are hiding the fuel pumps?

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Black engine covers on either side of engine compartment. Remove with a 3-4mm hex socket, fuel pumps underneath.

9. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Ahh, thanks Kurt.

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have a 2003 Spider and to access the fuel pump the "capote" roof have to be removed.

5 months ago after 1 month of ownership I smelled gas on the passenger side. My dealer confirms right fuel pump is cracked. Remove and replaced = $2,100.00

Just this morning I smelled gas on the driver side. Took it to the dealer.
    They confirm driver side (this time) fuel pump has a crack and is leaking fuel.
    They also recommend replacing the 4 roll over valves while they have the roof out as those are prone to fail and we can save on labor big time to replace roll over valves while the roof is out.

Total cost of repair to R & R driver side fuel pump, plus replace 4 roll over valves = $4,000.00. Minus 10% Ferrari Club Member discount.

Ouch! Not much choice but to get it done by the dealer as I dont have the proper tools to remove the roof mechanism.

It appears its easier to get the fuel pump replaced on a coupe.......

Note: Average life for fuel pump appears to be 10 years. You can replace yours including the roll over valves preventively to avoid hassle later.

Parts will take two weeks to arrive according to Ferrari of Seattle. I wont have my car back for over 2 weeks :(

Dan

11. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Good that you have good sense of smell.

I shall have my fuel pumps checked when my next service comes up.

12. Speedster_4_me

Speedster_4_me Karting

Dec 10, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    Is the access cut out in the top housing to access the pump on the spider an owner mod item only?

I can't smell but would like to do a visual check...

13. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Will a PPi uncover a fuel pump leak? Am new to 360 ownership and a reputable independent performed the inspection just last July.

14. zstyle

zstyle Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2007
    Fountain Hills
    Full Name:
    Jon
    You may want to ask the mechanics performing the ppi to check but usually when a fuel pump or roll over valve is broken the fuel smell is distinct.

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Exactly. If there is a crack, there will be fuel and there will be a smell. What I do is take my nose to about an inch from the plastic grate on either side of the rear window and I sniff. If there is a leak you will smell fresh fuel. Put your nose about 1-2 inches from an open gas container.

That smell.

Normally the cars will have some smells to them. Heated grease, paint, etc. But fresh fuel should not be part of that mix. Ferrari's guidance is inspections. Open it and look for fuel. Can't remember the document #.

16. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    I like to drive with the window open slightly to hear the exhaust. The fuel leak was easy to detect, it smells exactly like the gas station, just not as strong. One time I smelled burnt circuit, my alternator blew 2 days later.

17. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    My 2003 Spider has access panels. 10 mins to get to the pumps etc.

rs812 likes this.
  18. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    #18 IDriveM5, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    Don't know if this has been done yet, but can someone post a picture of the access panels in the spider top compartment for (obviously) spiders? Thanks.

Edit: I guess this instance illustrates the importance of SERVICE RECORDS. For my car, I have service records from Day 1 even though I'm the 4th owner. In my case, it turns out that both the left and right fuel pumps were replaced by the previous owner at his previous (Ohio-based) mechanic on 9/26/2012, and I have the receipt / record to prove that. So, if I'm getting a FAINT OCCASIONAL RARE smell of fuel, it probably isn't due to leaking fuel pumps. That's good news. I wonder if it's leaking roll over valves instead?? It really only happens when I corner hard just after filling up the gas tanks with fresh fuel. Thoughts? Again, it's very rare, probably only happened once in the past 18 months of ownership - and it was this summer. Probably just expansion from filling up the tank on a hot afternoon.

19. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    Check the gas cap gasket to make sure you're not leaking at that junction. Other people chime in please...but, if the rollover valves or line to the fuel rails is faulty, I'd think the smell of gas would be constant. These types of problems don't fix themselves.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. I've noticed that on hot days some faint hydrocarbon smell by the gas tank.

This is a constant smell. Not occasional.

Its enough that someone else will notice it and comment.

21. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    #21 GaryR, Sep 3, 2014
    Sheesh, now i'm wondering when my fuel pump is going to kill me! Why in the world would a fuel pump crack, and at only 10 years old??? What year is your Spider, hopefully my 03 has the panels also! I was thinking I would replace both myself but doesn't sound like a fun DIY with no access...

22. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Curt,
    Just to be clear, as I might be misunderstanding the post above, are you saying that fuel pump problems create a constant odor? So, an occasional odor might not be related to fuel pumps?

Please clarify if possible, thank you!

23. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS

Ouch, that bites, Dan!

Out of curiosity, did you check with anywhere other than FoS (i.e. Alfa of Tacoma, Cantrell Motorsports, or elsewhere) for an estimate? Don't get me wrong, FoS has done great work on my car to date and will undoubtedly do fantastic work in this case, but given that this is a straightforward repair and much of the cost is associated with just removing the top, I just wonder if there's a more convenient option.

Speaking of which, they don't have a service shop yet, but I know a Maserati dealership just moved in to Kirkland; I'm hoping they'll be servicing Ferrari eventually, and ideally by the time my next appointment is up, as that would be a lot more convenient than the FoS location.

I've noticed something similar on a couple of occasions this summer under similar circumstances (spirited acceleration on highway on-ramps with the top down shortly after fueling on warm summer days). Given the rarity of occurrence I'm not overly concerned, but will still do a quick check before leaving and upon return to the garage and will inquire at the car's next service.

24. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    #24 GaryR, Sep 3, 2014
    I'm confused, whattheheck has to remove the roof assembly to get to his fuel pumps. Delaney has access panels he can have off in 10 minutes... both 2003 Spiders.

Just found a thread on another site, cant link it, but;

" When I open spider top part way and prop it up I could remove an access plate so thank goodness I did not have to remove the whole top assembly".

Followed by-
    "To replace the fuel pump, you will have to remove the flange. You can unscrew the large ring nut (3), to get better access to the rear flange screws. To remove the entire pump unit, you'll have to turn it 90° clockwise. Be careful not to loose the gasket between the tank and flange (F). When reinstalling the new pump, be very careful not to bend the fuel level gauge arm.

Flange screws must be tighten at 3,2 Nm while the large ring nut at 60Nm (3)."

25. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    What does the workshop manual say for changing the fuel pumps?