360 oil change woes | FerrariChat

360 oil change woes

Discussion in '360/430' started by f360nh, Aug 30, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    Doing my own oil change on a 360, and I've noticed that the magnetic screw on the gearbox pan is stripped. A new screw doesn't go in easily so I figure the gearbox cover has a stripped thread...

This is a M22 and one option is to order the entire cover (up-rated) from Hill engineering (for $150) or helicoil repair the thread.

However, I'm a little worried that the helicoil repair is only rated to 50 ft-lb of torque and the Ferrari spec says 100 ft-lb for each of the oil screws.

I figured that's the reason the screws got stripped in the first place so that's the dilemma right now -- try to repair and torque to maybe 25-30 ft-lb or replace the entire cover?

Has anybody else gone through this before?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Lots of issues here. The torque spec is wrong. The magnetic plug is brass so it strips before the plate. BUT several people have stripped the plate so it is possible.

If you stripped the plate I would order the new plate and a new plug. Then I would be done.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If you're referring to the rear oil change plug getting stripped.. i.e.. the part here:

Ferrari Parts : 171045 PLATE COVER FOR GEARBOX (LOC-01) : Ricambi America

Just get the uprated $150 Hill engineering part, install it and torque the new plug by feel. Just tight enough not to leak. If you helicoil it you're always going to wonder if you should have just done the replacement part. Do it right the first time.

4. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    Ok -- false alarm...

Skidkid -- you are correct the brass screw strips before the plate. When I took the old screw out there must have been some left over shavings in the plate thread so the new magnetic thread I got was not going in easily.

So I used a new main oil pan screw/bolt which I guess is aluminium and I screwed it through the plate slowly to clean up the plate thread. After this the magnetic brass thread went in very easily and I torqued it to about 50 ft-lb. I watched for the new copper washer to get crushed but did not go above ~50 ft-lb.

Here's a picture of the stripped thread from the old bolt.

5. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    #5 f360nh, Aug 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    100 ft-lbs is an insane amount for a drain plug. It has to be wrong, no? Glad it worked out.

7. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I always thought finger tight and a quick nip with a spanner.
    It's all I have ever done.

8. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    Just tighten until u can't tighten.
    Don't ever force .

9. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 Does seem that way, unless it's another Ferrari way of making more money.

10. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I haven't changed the oil on a 360, but the number that I remember off the top of my head for my other cars is around 14 ft/lbs. No way its 100 or even 50 ft/lbs.

11. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    100 inch pounds?

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Do it right the first time? Helicoils are FAA approved and I have installed hundreds with perfect results. Ferrari puts them in at the factory in nearly all the high torque fastening points and most of the drain plug holes so what is not correct about the use of a helicoil?

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Seems to me no one here has read the manual. Any familiarity with it would lead to the knowledge that they have never used US torque specs.

The torque spec for the drain plugs is 75nm. 75nm x .737 = 55 lbs./ft

I have no idea if that is a correct number but it sounds awfully high. Ferrari manuals are full of errors. I have never in my life used a torque wrench on a drain plug. Any drain plug using a crushable copper or aluminum seal needs to be torqued just enough to get the seal to yield and no more. The 360 magnetic drain plugs are a terrible design and fail at just a few percent over that yield point.

brian.s likes this.
  14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #14 vrsurgeon, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    I believe you that its an application that works. However..

I just don't advocate fixing things to other than factory spec part. For $150 to me its too cheap not to just replace the panel. I don't remember seeing the steel insert on that particular panel when I did the oil change last..

15. 993turbo

993turbo Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2006
    Puerto Banus
    Full Name:
    Remi E
    Cannot remember seeing a single Helicoil. I wrench quite a bit on the 360 / F430.....

16. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This to me at least, sounds like someone knows what their talking about.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I guess you have a little less experience on them then.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That one did not. Have a look at the tens of thousands of 308/328 oil pans and transmission oil pans produced. The helicoil installed at the factory has a part number of 112254. That one part number has nearly 50 applications. 13525770 is another helicoil number for a helicoil installed in brand new cars and has 103 applications counting Maserati.

If a helicoil is not fixing things to factory spec you better tell Ferrari, Maserati and the FAA.

Just because some people don't know how to install them properly doesn't mean they are not an outstanding way to attach a fastener or drain plug.

19. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I noticed that you are right, they used a helicoil insert for the front oil plug (never noticed this myself 993turbo). So why didn't they use another for the rear plug? Depth of the aluminum panel 171045? Lycoming states there may be issues with high time heads and thin aluminum insertion depth.

So if you had the threads on 171045 become worn.. would you helicoil it or just order 171045 and remove the 6 bolts and replace it? Or would you helicoil it? ;)
    I'm just saying replace the panel... and avoid any issues with the helicoil insertion.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    He does. When Rifledriver speaketh.. listen.

I'm just being an insolent argumentative keyboard jockey on this issue (and am curious)... :)

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The helicoil even at Ferraris highly inflated price is $7.54.

I can fix a clients and make it better/more durable than either of the available replacements for less money.

Which would you prefer?

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #22 vrsurgeon, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    You want me to admit defeat? Never! :)

In all honesty it would happen here at the house during an annual oil change and I'd just get the new panel and bolt it on...

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And that is a logical repair. Installing a helicoil, especially in that application requires some tooling and expertise.

24. kraftwerk

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    LOL no worries not a bad trait to be inquisitive, however I trained as a engineer myself, until I started my own business, < unrelated to engineering, however I was so glad I had trained in this field as IMO, it is the backbone of most things.

R-Driver I assume still is or was taking these things apart on a frequent basis, so you cannot argue with a hands on guy with experience can you...;)

However your never to old something learn something new, ask the kids how to use a brand new all singing dancing smart phone, to realize that..;)

25. f360nh

f360nh Karting

Apr 12, 2014
    NH
    Full Name:
    John Q.
    I'm sure a helicoil would work great -- the spec on the M22 helicoils is 50 ft-lb of torque so that would mean it should not be exceeded when torquing the bolt.

In my case I was able to use the current plate by slowly threading a good harder (aluminium?) bolt through it to clean up the old threads and then the magnetic brass plug went through fine and torqued correctly. If this did not work I would have taken the plate out to be helicolied at a machine shop for about $20-25 given that I wasn't able to find any metric helicoils above 12-13 mm in diameter.