Thanks! I Am About To Take the 360 Plunge | FerrariChat

Thanks! I Am About To Take the 360 Plunge

Discussion in '360/430' started by Kevin from California, Aug 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Thanks for all your kind advice and all the great things I have learned from your advice to others on their threads. I have agreed to buy a 99 red on tan 360 Modena with a little over 24K miles for $67,000. The car is very nice (owner among his investments owns a car wash).

I could have gotten a very similar car near San Diego for a little less but it did not have rear challenge grille that I like. Also, the car I am acquiring is nearer to my home in Ventura County, California.

The clutch and belts appear about midway between services deducing from the service records. Will have PPI at Black Horse Motors in West LA on Tuesday. I have heard good things about them from several owners.

The car has stock exhaust. Sounds fine to me. Do I really need to incur the expense of a Tubi exhaust?

This is the first car I had test driven. I had been on several test rides but I did not want to trouble an owner until I was truly ready to buy.

Wow! It was close to a religious experience. The sound! The brute force! Oh my!

I was buying mainly because I had lived in Italy for a couple of years (on a Mormon (LDS) mission) and had fallen in love with the looks of them.. But to ride and then drive one, I can now relate to why you folks are so passionate.

So any last minute advice? I figure I could probably find a car for a couple thousand less but would cost me likely $2K to ship here. The car has a clean Carfax and a clean title. Also, the seller and I have a mutual friend through his work, so it is unlikely he would try to cheat me.

Thanks

Kevin from California

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Nice Kevin! Please post pics when you get it!

3. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    Nahh.., you can wait a week or two after getting the car to start making changes like adding a Tubi. They don't add a lot of HP, but the sound kick is worth it. And then sport cats and Fabspeed headers and ......

Some like to keep them stock, but they are wonderful to customise. Juts keep all the stock parts, because nobody will give you credit for the aftermarket gear when you go to upgrade to your next Ferrari.... or two or three.

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Not where he lives in CA. He would get bounced every 2 years when he has to smog.

5. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    Good choice. Sounds like you got a very good deal.

6. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    How hard is to get these cars smogged in California?

7. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Not hard if you leave the stock cats on, I believe what skid kid was referring to was that smog in Ca without them is impossible, at least in containment county's which is nearly all of them, including yours.

Tubi or some form of aftermarket exhaust is a must in my opinion, stock is entirely to mundane and holds back one of the best things about a Ferrari V8, that glorious F1 flat plane crank exhaust note.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    +1. Tubis are downstream of the cats so are OK. But anything upstream that is not certified by the Cal Air Resources Board will be a problem.

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly. Headers and sport cats are a problem. A Tubi or other exhaust/muffler is not an issue at all. I am running a Tubi.

10. NCromwell

NCromwell Karting

Apr 27, 2014
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Enjoy! Pics!!!!

11. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    nice!! sounds like you are ready but need pics!

12. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OEM Racing Exhaust > Tubi

and cheaper too....and.... Ferrari.

JMHO

13. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    +1

14. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I agree, The Challenge muffler sounds great when those valves open up..

15. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    My understanding is the Cali and other jurisdictions are moving away from tailpipe testing to OBD readings. Since the car is your's and the onboard ECUs are by extension, yours, you can mod them as you wish, and likely without detection. ...just saying.

Next time you are near a shipping port, check the air - they are burning pure crap and dumping it into the air. These anti-smog programs are nothing more than chewing gum for the sheep.

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    From arb.ca.gov:
    I didn't see any change saying you can do what you want so long as OBD shows clean emissions, but please post if you can, since a lot of people would like to change their headers, I'll bet.

17. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    The anti-tamper law is like legislating the maximum amount of air you can breath in a day - unenforceable.

What are they going to do, offload the code in the ECU and compare it to what the factory put in? They are just not that smart. Live a little, break some laws (only the bad laws) - it feels good to be free.

18. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    So where is the best place to buy a Tubi exhaust? Price? How much to install?

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    We have been tuning the ECU's and changing exhausts on these cars since ''03 and none of our clients have ever has an issue with the smog police!

20. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Just had my Cali smoged in Los Angeles and they didn't test at the tailpipe.
    No dyno either.

21. jimiguy

jimiguy Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2010
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Shaw
    Congratulations!

Many disagree, but I like mine stock; I can sneak home after a dawn patrol run :)

Let me know when your prancing pony arrives and we can go for a drive. I will show you the less-patrolled canyons in our area.

Jim

22. Kevin from California

Mar 25, 2013
    Camarillo, CA
    Having problem getting to pass smog test. Have been studying other posts on the issue. But have not tried the drive cycle from a cold start. Will have car towed to Pacific Coast Highway this morning and will try again. Otherwise will take to Auto Gallery on Monday and have them reflash the ecu.

Fingers crossed.

Despite the adversity, I walk into my garage frequently, smile and say, "I own a Ferrari".

23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    What is the smog issue? Note that if you do drive cycle from cold, you may need to put miles on the car to get the sensors to show "ready." Why do you think there is a need to reflash the ECU?

As for where to get Tubi, the only place I know is Champion Motorsports (authorized dealer). Tubi Style Exhaust System

But obviously you need to take care of smog issues first, and changing the muffler is not a priority.

24. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    +1

25. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    how is that smog test thing going ? any luck ?