Did my glovebox kill my battery? | FerrariChat

Did my glovebox kill my battery?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bob in Texas, Aug 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #1 Bob in Texas, Aug 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    Last weekend I went to an FCA event, came home and parked the car and then went away for a week. When I opened the door today and I noticed the window didn't go down and the glovebox was inadvertantly sitting open and the light was out. Looks like the battery was completely drained by the glovebox light.

Its on a trickle charger now. At first there was no light to show the battery was charging, then about 1/2 hour later, the charging light is illuminated, so it appears to be charging. Does a full drain kill the battery for good or will it be ok?

Question 2: I read all the previous battery posts and I still can't figure out what replacement battery fits a 360. The interstate battery MTP-91 isn't listed for the 360 anymore, they now list an MT7-34R. Clarification or other battery options would be appreciated.

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    A full drain CAN kill an older, tired battery but a fresher...maybe less than 3 yrs should be ok I would think. Depends on if it has been on a tender, etc. I would definitely invest in a tender for $50. Would have saved this battery and will keep your next one happy...as well as your car.
    Cheers!

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    You really want an AGM battery for your 360, Braille or Odyssey, but the MTP-91H6 will work but must be fitted with a vent tube. The MTP-91H6 is the replacement for the MTP-91.

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The MT7-34R is an AGM battery. My only question is will it fit without modification?

5. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    yeah, these are my questions. The MT7 is the only battery currently listed on the interstate site for an 02 360. But Im open to equivalents that are readily available.

I usually keep it on the tender, just didn't realize the glovebox was open. The tender indicates that its still charging. Guess I'll see in the morning. Just don't want to get stuck if i take it out to test it.

6. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Change it.

For a couple hundred bucks it's worth the peace of mind.

I change mine every three years on schedule.

Good luck!!!

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The glove box light can certainly kill the battery.

The Delco 91PS is easily obtained and is a direct fit replacement. No mods required.

We have had too many electronic gremlins on 360/430 with AGM batteries. Even the factory quit using them.

8. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's Good news/bad news. Good news: the glovebox light works again(!), and with that, the car started up and I took it out for a spin. It started up rough (recovering from Alzheimer's no doubt even after following the key in/key out procedure) but no worse for wear as far as I can tell.

Bad news, well for my wallet. I can't find any record for the batteries age. So I'm gonna just replace it with the Delco model that Brian recommended. Now to find one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- The problem was not with AGM batteries, it was the crummy brand they used.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I read in another post that AGM batteries sometimes fail because they are not maintained with the right charger. The regular Ferrari-branded CTEK doesn't put out enough current and goes into maintenance mode when the battery reaches 13.6v. That's fine for regular lead-acid batteries but Odyssey and Optima AGM batteries need 14.7v. When regular chargers are used, they think they're keeping the battery charged when in fact they are not. The latest CTEK chargers (including the Ferrari-branded ones with the proprietary plugs) have a 14.7v mode.

11. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Sears Diehard AGM for $167, and a Deltran charger made for AGM, Amazon around $50.

12. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #12 traimpz348, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    How long can the car go without being on a battery tender without draining it? I just bought one and it's taking 10 days to get here. Wonder if I should have a battery backup just in case it's DOA when my car gets here (that will be annoying). Sorry to hijack the thread.

13. delaney

delaney Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    St Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    PETER DELANEY
    How do you fit a vent tube to a battery supplied without one? My battery has no vent tube but the tube itself is there..just need to know where to stck it.

Why do you need a vent tube in a completely sealed battery?

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Peter- AGM batteries are sealed and can be mounted upside down if you like. Maintenance free lead acid batteries like the MTP-91H6 or the Delco Brian mentioned still vent gasses that you do not want concentrated in a closed compartment. Will cause corrosion.

15. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Update
    Well...The battery was replaced for preventive maintenance since I didn't know it's age and 3 days later when I tried to the start the car I noticed that the F1 pump sounded like it had the flu, the dash lights were dim as the Times Square blackout of 2003 and when I turned the key it was a clickity click.

The car had been on a ctek charger and I noticed never-seen before strange behavior: it wouldn't show a green full charge LED and then the orange in-process LED was flashing like a hooker on a street corner.

Guess it's a bad "new" battery. My guess anyway, since all was well before the glovebox killed the car.

Now I need to figure out how to push it out of the garage and flatbed it to the Indy or swap it out myself (which I tried to avoid the first time around...)

Nothing is ever easy with these cars. My Porsches were all bullet-proof.. Enough complaining...

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Hint: The car shouldn't be that difficult. Something is not right. It SHOULD be as reliable as your Porsche. Mine is. This conception that FCars are unreliable clunkers should not be true anymore.

From what you wrote it sounds like you don't do that much work on your car. It's not bad at all. You undo two phillips screws on the panel at your passengers feet. You unbolt the two clamps on the top of the battery and pull it out. Simple.

You have a drain on your battery. Something, a stuck relay.. a sound system.. etc. is draining the system. I came back from vacation after not driving my car for 2 weeks and it started right up nice and strong. WHAT YOU HAVE IS NOT NORMAL. You can bandage it with a trickle charger or new battery, but you need to find the cause. You can try pulling fuses to limit things if you thing the glovebox or other light is killing the battery.

FYI I've had the MTP-91 in my car for the last 4 years with the vent tube and I've had no corrosion whatsoever. Yes, there is a risk in the passenger compartment... but if it works for BMW and my old Porsche 928 with no issues for over 30 years I'm willing to take that risk. I may try an Odyssey when I change out my battery preventatively this fall.

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Something is still on and draining the battery. Interior lights and parking lights are very common. Also just leaving the passenger door ajar is a few amps and leaving the driver door ajar is the kiss of death.

18. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
  19. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    From what y'all are saying I need to do the simple detective stuff and see if I can find the culprit. If it's not something obvious (and I'm an idiot) it gets flat-bedded next week to the Indy, after COTA WEC/ALMS

The initial thought was the first battery was drained because of the glove box being left open for a week. That doesn't apply to the new battery though. That lead me to the possibly erroneous conclusion that the new battery was bad since the glove box was closed. Coincidence?

Maybe it is something else draining the new (and old) battery. Gonna look in a couple hours

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It is possible that the new battery is bad.. but I would hold it less probable than a circuit that is on else where. Any hidden GPS units or tracking devices? Sticking F1 relay?

21. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #21 Bob in Texas, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    ps... the F1 relay is less than a year old.

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Bob, 9.5 volt reading is way too low for a wet cell battery. Fully charged should be around 14.7 volts.

Dan

24. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
  25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    From one of the articles linked above (thanks, btw):
    This is not good news for California owners. The battery sits in the engine compartment behind the radiator and ahead of the intake manifold.

Not a problem for 360/430 owners, since the batteries there are in the passenger compartment, where it's air conditioned.