360 BurnsIn Vegas | FerrariChat

360 BurnsIn Vegas

Discussion in '360/430' started by TroyI, Aug 31, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TroyI

TroyI Karting

Mar 18, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Troy Isaacson
  2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Looks like fuel system related. "What's that smell.. I'll get that checked out when I get back.."

I'll bet nipple at fuel pump broke off and high pressure fuel spray got everywhere.

3. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    For sure it started in the engine compartment. Glad they are ok.

4. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That area gets really hot this time of year. I had an old Plymouth Valiant overheat passing through there back in August of 1986. Hopefully the owner has good insurance.

5. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    not good

So many have been crashed, stolen or burnt.......I wonder how many 360s are left

6. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    still a good amount but I'd guess about 10-20% of all models made are now gone. No basis on that estimate just a shot in the dark.

7. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    The newspaper article stated that the passengers did not have anything to try to put out the fire.

IMO, if a car catches fire like that, best thing after making sure you clear of the car is add more fuel to the fire. I would hate for my insurance company to decide the car is not a total loss and try to fix it after a major fire.

Steve

8. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    I agree

This is why I don't carry a fire extinguisher

9. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Looks like a Spider. Agreement on not trying to put out a fire.
    Alan

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If the fire is behind the engine panel, its not going to be easy to put out. Halon is the best bet IMHO.

11. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Might be some spare Novitec Nf2's if they didn't all melt.

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    Yes, unless you or your passenger (or a bystander) are unfortunate enough to have been caught by the flame, in which case a fire extinguisher would clearly be desirable.

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Hot dogs and marshmellows. No fire extinguishers.

14. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    Certainly one of the worst days of my life. Only had her since march. Fuel smell and fire all within 5 seconds pulled over immediately got out, sat for 45 minutes watching in horror as she melted to the ground. That is how long it took for fire department to arrive.

15. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Most of that will buff out. Spray the rest with krylon.

16. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Well, at least no one was injured and I assume you have insurance.

Back to the fire extinguisher issue, most here would rather let the car burn to the ground than try to put out the fire? I don't think I would do that unless the engine compartment was completely engulfed in flames. Maybe letting it burn would be the "smart" thing, but it would be tough to just watch it happen.

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not for me. I have repaired burned cars for insurance companies. Believe me better to let it burn. It's just a car. There are plenty more.

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sorry to hear.

19. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Did this car ignite after the repairs, new fuel pump?

20. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    #20 Xcheckme, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    Really sorry to hear. But most importantly nobody was hurt. Any car can be replaced - but I can imagine how you feel. Hopefully your insurance will assist as they should and better luck with the next one.

For what it's worth: Did you ever get the cats checked after you ran 100 octane? If my memory serves me right, that was your car - if not sorry........just wondering if this had something to do with it.

21. since-15

since-15 Formula 3

Nov 26, 2008
    Glad you and your passenger are all right. Take comfort in the fact that it is relatively easy to find another 360 spider. Wait... that is if you're still interested in another Ferrari after that experience. Are you still interested in getting another 360?

22. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #22 2NA, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
    For a relatively common car like a 360 I have to agree. A big expensive pain in the ass.

I remember a client with a Jag XJS that called late one afternoon to report that his car caught fire, but he "caught it in time". It came in on the hook, still smoking. He had sprayed it down with a dry-chemical extinguisher. I immediately pressure washed the engine bay to minimize damage but the was still corrosion. Remarkably his insurance carrier agreed to fix it. I spent a couple weeks splicing in a new wiring harness and repairing damage. No paintwork was done. Remarkably after 15 years the car has no problems resulting from the fire. The repair bill was $12,000, about what he could have bought a "good" car for. A Ferrari could easily cost 3 times as much plus body and paint, to end up with a salvage title.

23. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    It was after new pump was put in. I was there when it was put in. Everything was triple checked. Drove it over 200 miles without any issue at all no smell of gas or anything. After this I think I'll wait for a few years save some extra money and get one that is not 10 years old 430 or 458. Its all so new though lots of emotions, so who knows what I will do once I calm down a bit. We took some pictures right after we jumped out of the car and from what it looked like the fire started down below not at the top where the fuel pump is. By the time we were out and taking pictures the flames were already quite big around the right rear tire.

24. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    I don't imagine it had anything to do with the 100 octane car has been driven over 2500 miles since then running like a charm. As the thing is not much more then a pile of rubble at this point I doubt we will ever know the root cause.

25. TroyI

TroyI Karting

Mar 18, 2010
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Troy Isaacson
    Glad you are all safe. I have read elsewhere that if fuel leaks develop in a 360, it drips down on to the exhaust or other heated parts which can easily cause a fire. Don't' know if Ferrari has issued any campaigns for this issue, but it seems unfortunately common enough that they should.