lowering my f430... new springs or stock? | FerrariChat

lowering my f430... new springs or stock?

Discussion in '360/430' started by bocaf430, Sep 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    #1 bocaf430, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2014
    Ok I know some of you lowered your F430's using stock springs, and some went with aftermarket... I want to only do this once... has anyone here lowered the car with factory springs but then went to aftermarket? if so.. was it needed? worth it? difference in ride/handling? thanks... the springs I was thinking of buying if I go with aftermarket will be either novitec or the H & R brand... ay suggestions?

2. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The benefit to aftermarket will be the spring will be much firmer. You can get lowered springs already. You can lower it with the stock set up, the only thing is you'll open yourself up to the potential of rubbing.

3. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    You still agonizing over this?

I'll add one more thing. Euro ride height is lower than US. Do you honestly think Ferrari uses two different sets of springs for the US vs Euro market?

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I don't think they do but I wouldn't be totally shocked if they had 2 sets.

That said, go with Novitec springs. They are very well sorted for the 430. I'd also suggest adding spacers as well as the wheels will look way too inboard with the stock location. I like the 10mm for the 430 but others like going wider. Also get the car aligned after. And the car will settle after a few hundred miles so you might have to have it slightly raised.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im lowering mine using the stock springs - I don't want to drop it too much

6. dhac

dhac Karting

Feb 26, 2012
    boca raton and LI
    I don't want it too low, but I have heard from some that when you lower it on the stock springs, its soft.. can bottom out over dips etc. and I only want to do this once, that's why I was asking .. thanks

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that comment doesn't make a ton of sense to me - every spring has a capacity compression...ive had cars with aftermarket springs that habe also bottom out etc...the European cars are delivered lower than ours so I have no issue using the oems....if I wanted to go lower than they can go then id go aftermarket

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    About 15-20 mm is all you want to lower using the stock springs, and that is quite a bit lower. Problem with lowering more than that is not the springs, it is getting the shock absorbers out of their optimum operating range. Not to mention, dragging on a bottle cap someone left on the road. Lower than that, aftermarket springs should be used.

Make sure someone who knows Ferraris does the job, because he will need shims to adjust camber and then also set toe front and rear.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    did u do this yet? go .5 inch, not a full inch.

10. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    My mechanic had to leave early so he just did the rear's at the moment... about a 3/4" difference... need to do the fronts when I return to Florida..

11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bob- That should be a unique look.

12. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    lol car is just sitting, waitng to do the fronts

13. GG-33

GG-33 Karting

Apr 28, 2014
    Farnham, UK
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I lowered the front with stock springs, went down about 6 turns which made the car look fine. Problem is the stock springs are very soft and the front now rubs like crazy (just been to France, two up with luggage)
    I have now realised the stock springs are a compromise, designed to provide a comfortable ride without bottoming out. To get the low look, you will certainly need to install stiffer springs (Novitec/ Scuderia or whatever) but the ride will be much harder..
    I'm about to wind mine back up by 4 turns this evening.

14. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    thats strange that now your front rubs, I have read a few guys on here lowered with stock springs and they said all was fine... maybe you lowered it more then others..

15. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Mine rides great . I lowered it 22mm with stock springs. I bottom the front bumper way more than I like since then. The look is just right. Maybe a 18 mm drop would be best.

Fortunately our roads are good here. I would probably suggest stiffer springs if your roads are poor and a lot of steep entrances and exits off the road are present.

16. westtx430

westtx430 Rookie

Mar 2, 2014
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    JHP
    I have the H&R and yes it lowers it some but did not change the ride quality and definitely helps while driving and handling the sharp turns.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    im going .5 instead of .7 inches.
    1 was def too much

18. 430Lor

430Lor Rookie

Sep 6, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I did 0.75" on stock. Looks great and handles better at the track.

19. V1PERMAN

V1PERMAN Rookie

Aug 21, 2014
    Florida/Tennessee
    Full Name:
    David
    Can anyone explain how to lower the stock springs? Do you just turn the spring collar down a bit with the specific tool? This will actually compress the spring less.

20. GG-33

GG-33 Karting

Apr 28, 2014
    Farnham, UK
    Full Name:
    Greg
    In a word 'yes'. Not quite so simple in practice as the spring is under compression, so you will need to use spring compressors before you can wind the collar down. It only compresses the spring less when the car is of the ground. Once you put the wheel back on and take the car off the jack the spring is compressed by the same amount. Apparently the ration is about 1:1.7 (1mm of change in spring length = 1.7mm of clearance change). I could be slightly out with that number so don't hold me to it.

GG

21. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Ihave a new set of h&r spring new on the box if you are interested send me a pm

22. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I would recommend having a shop do it. Afterward you're going to need a front and rear alignment.

23. Ferrari Nube

Ferrari Nube Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    British Columbia
    Curious .... Has anyone un-lowered their F430? Mine was lowered by the dealer years ago and I am considering to reverse the work. Why? Simply because my S.O. will be driving it soon or next year when the weather gets better. I navigate the speed bumps, drive aisles and dips in the road well but I know my S.O. won't. I've been quoted $2k for un-turning the collars and an alignment by the dealer. Does this sound reasonable?
    Thanks

24. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    $2K, SEEMS a bit high in price, I was told about $1400.00 to lower and align... you are just doing the reverse

25. akshon

akshon Karting

Feb 25, 2011
    H&r with scud spring perches. Like butter and handles on rails. Best of both worlds.