2000 Modena 360 Not Starting At all... | FerrariChat

2000 Modena 360 Not Starting At all...

Discussion in '360/430' started by pcrutracks, Sep 11, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pcrutracks

pcrutracks Rookie

Sep 10, 2014
    ok So I have read lots of possibility's as to why this may be. The car was working fine. Then little by little starting taking longer to start until now all it does is just turn over with no start. So a list of the things I have done:

Swap ECU = This ended in the alarm light lit up all the time (Alarm Battery??)

Reset the ECU..

Took out the Door Sensors = This was done before all the issue. and it worked great.

While Starting Checked Fuel Rail.. Its shooting plenty of GAS.

Check the Spark Plug while trying to fire up. But no Electricity was passing through.

Any Ideas what Else can be stopping the Vehicle from Starting? Thank you in Advance

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Are you able to take it to a shop that has some Ferrari diagnostic software?

Did you replace the battery?

How long have you had the car?

F1 or 6 speed?

3. pcrutracks

pcrutracks Rookie

Sep 10, 2014
    thanks for your response. been over a year now. Yes the Battery is Brand New(one month old now). I called Ferrari am going to end up taking the vehicle in to them. I was just hoping to see if there have been any similar situations as my own. And its a 6 Speed. :)

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Sounds as if the alarm ECU is not allowing the car to start -- just crank. If the alarm light is on it could be the battery in the horn but also because the alarm system is not deactivating. Have you checked the battery and contacts in the fob because if that is not transmitting properly then the alarm system is not being deactivated. SD2 should diagnose the issue but I would try the fob battery and battery connections first.
    Alan

5. pcrutracks

pcrutracks Rookie

Sep 10, 2014
    Thank you For your Response. I have Checked the Battery. Seems Properly in Place(I grew up in a Shop), Although This Car nothing Really is Straight Forward! haha I've Rechecked The FOB and Seems Proper. I can Post a Pic. I will be home in the Next Hour or So. I will most Certainly Do what you Suggested. Also, will SD3 work in emulation mode as good as straight SD2? just curious. Thank you Again!

6. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    When you press the button on the fob does the little red light come on? If so then it's transmitting okay but could be a weak signal. Have you installed a new fob battery or just checked it was in place okay? If not then replace the battery as it could be weak and not sending a good signal.
    Alan

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Telltale sign of the Alarm ECU being unhappy is the red LED not going off within about 6 seconds of getting the Check OK lamp.

8. pcrutracks

pcrutracks Rookie

Sep 10, 2014
    Thank you so much everyone. After opening the Alarm Box.. It was BAttery Acid all over the Circuitry and thus it seems like that is the Issue!! Thank you.

P.S. Does anyone here in the forum Sell this unit??

9. Jamarico

Jamarico Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Hmmm...which part of the alarm box do you mean is damaged on your car?
    http://www.eurospares.co.uk/partTablePopUp.asp?ID=1668411

...my car is starting and running pretty well without having the horn (pos.2) connected.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Every Ferrari dealer will sell it you for about USD 400 or whatever your local currency is - you have not said where you are - there is no alternative effectively

11. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #2 in the diagram. The siren has batteries in it that leak and damage an electrical board beneath them.

12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Curt
    Sounds like he is referring to the siren as the ECU wouldn't have an internal battery would it? To the OP you can replace this unit easily yourself with either an OEM for around $400 or one from GM for around $100 which will chirp when you are and disarm but will not sound if the car is being broken into.
    Alan

13. Phemes

Phemes Rookie

Jul 16, 2012
    Bonner Springs, Kansas
    Full Name:
    Phil Hemes
    If you are handy with a soldering iron and depending on amount of damage to the board it maybe possible to remove the battery and convert to a remote 9V rechargeable PP3. That is what I did and if the battery ever fails again I can just clip in a new one. I have a photo somewhere if you are interesting in attempting.

14. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It was a tad confusing admittedly. The Alarm ECU and the Immobilizer behind the drivers seats don't have internal batteries. The Alarm siren behind the front trunk does.

15. Jamarico

Jamarico Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Agree...but why the leaked siren battery should have caused the starting issue of his car???
    My car starts and runs perfectly without having the siren connected. Just the red LED is on permanently.....

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Starting issue shouldn't have been related to the bad siren. Only thing I could think of is the shorted siren prevented the immobilizer from "unlocking" the car to be started.

17. pcrutracks

pcrutracks Rookie

Sep 10, 2014
  18. Jamarico

Jamarico Karting

Nov 30, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Hi Phemes

I would be interested in your 9V convertion.
    Some time ago there was a thread with a detailed description how to convert but can't find it.
    Your info would be very appreciated....thx!

19. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I'd also like to see that post because mines also toast.

20. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I don't know if pcrutracks has managed to start the car yet?

If not, have you tried starting (normal procedure) with the siren disconnected. If I recall correctly it is quite possible for a failed siren to prevent starting but in that instance the car will typically start again once the siren is disconnected.

21. pcrutracks

pcrutracks Rookie

Sep 10, 2014
    Hey I just attempted to start the vehicle right now. With the siren disconnected, unfortunately it didn't start. So I'm ordering the piece right now. I would assume that this is the issue. Thank you for the response.

22. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Ahh, that's a shame. Hopefully the new module will cure everything.

23. pcrutracks

pcrutracks Rookie

Sep 10, 2014
    Indeed. Something odd just happened. The vehicle radio said "Ferrari", "wait" then said "code" four **** <-- with the numbers beneath. I assume this is where I put my vehicles code?

24. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, the code from your Becker paperwork. Should be on a small 3X5 card size paper.

25. pcrutracks

pcrutracks Rookie

Sep 10, 2014
    would that prevent the vehicle from starting? And is that a similar code to the ignition switch code? Thank you