Clarkson Top Gear on 360 | FerrariChat

Clarkson Top Gear on 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by [email protected], Sep 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Too funny:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-360-modena-09-1999]Clarkson on:

the Ferrari 360 Modena - BBC Top Gear

2. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    He's never liked the 360.

Maybe if he never owned a 355 it might be different.

Just like says, I don't care what he thinks anyway. After all, it is one mans opinion.

3. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    The 360 is a timeless beautiful Ferrari design. It's large production numbers is perhaps the only negative. Otherwise it's rolling sculpture.

4. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    True and while I enjoy Top Gear and Clarkson's wit, I don't agree with him on everything. I prefer the 360 to the 355 and it's faster and less expensive to maintain.

5. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    Large production numbers ? I have a leaflet somewhere from Ferrari stating all the build quantities - I can't seem to find it at the moment but from memory, 355 all variants LHD/RHD was somewhere in the 11k region over a 4.5 year run, so that's about 2.5k per annum, the 360 all variants LHD/RHD was about 17k as I recall (tell me if I'm wrong ?) but it had a 6 year life which means 2.8k per annum. So not really that much difference ? Besides, anything that has numbers totalling less than, well I dunno, say 10k cars per annum could really be considered limited in terms of supply surely ?

On the whole, I like Clarkson and agree with a lot of his opinions even when they are presented (for TV) in an 'extreme' manner. He really should probably run for Prime Minister over here as I'm sure he could sort a lot of stuff out. That said, I think he was totally wrong on the 360 and that his opinion was jaundiced by ownership of his 355. I have owned both models (both in Spider variants) and for my money, the 360 is a far better all round car - yes it may not be the purist vehicle that the 355 is but when you examine the amount of 'purist capable' drivers vs us 'ordinary guys/gals' I think Ferrari got it right. I would certainly never swap back to a 355 and would be very hesitant about changing my 360 to a 430.

Going back to production numbers and lifespans, consider the 355 ran from 1995 to 1999, the 360 from 1999 to 2005 and the 430 was what, 2005 to 2009 ? So which was more successful in terms of demand and customer satisfaction I wonder ? Consider that a major manufacturer like Ferrari will keep making a product that works and that people want to buy for as long as possible to maximise their profit and will change that model only when they think it is right to do so to satisfy the customer. So a 6 year run vs 2 x 4 year runs says something to me.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    1) When you make as much as he does affording maintenance isn't an issue and you can afford to own a 355.
    2) He also doesn't like Porsches much either and I disagree on his opinion on the "gayman"
    3) 355 aficionados like to think it's the same performance as the 360... but what does an aluminum chassis and a bump in HP mean anyway right? You can have less and have the same right? (granted a ton of options can add weight.. but what does actually working AC matter anyway right?)

7. Spdrcrj

Spdrcrj Formula 3
    BANNED

Apr 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you watch the 911 GT3 RS vs 360 CS clip, he describes the CS as "perfect, there's no other word for it, it's perfect". Some cars with creases look bad a@@, some like the 360 with their curves look beautiful.

8. MARMIST

MARMIST Formula 3

Jul 1, 2014
    Page not found
    For some reason we can't find the page you're after. By all means check the link again, if not check out the popular sections below for something similar.

9. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    Fixed it

Clarkson on: the Ferrari 360 Modena - BBC Top Gear

That link worked today.

Yeah I like both cars but prefer the 360 it's a more modern Ferrari design and easier to live with. Plus it has the glass engine showcase that the 355 lacks. Once I move into a larger place with a proper garage, a 360 will be on my radar probably next year once I've moved to better digs. I like the Lamborghini as well but after driven both the 360, Gallardo and Murcielago for the money and driving experience it's the 360 hands down. I priced a 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo versus a same year 360 Ferrari and the Lamborghini is more expensive and to me not as much fun to drive.

10. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I think it is too. Nice change from the 348/355 series.

11. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  12. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Clarkson is an entertainer...and a damn good one. He writes what he feels when he feels it.

13. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I think most car people in the UK I know have got tired of him. Using his words he is a complete c@(k ;)......
    Top Gear is now an entertainment show aimed at overseas audiences and I didn't even bother recoding the last series, never mind watch it.

The man's had his day I'm afraid.........

14. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

I don't think the guy is washed up. Old, yes. But I agree that Top Gear has kinda gotten too big. They are indeed trying to cater to a broader audience and focus very little on anything car related these days.

As for the 360 review. First, that was 15 years ago. Second, he clearly is sore over having just bought a F355 and is trying to convince himself that he owns the better car. He pulls the exact opposite move on James May, who bought an F430, when the 458 Italia came out.

15. mixxalot@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    +1 jpk a fair assessment of JC from Top Gear.

16. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The 360 is 80kg lighter and the engine is more powerful. So how is it that the power to weight ratio is "no better" than the 355?