we have liftoff | FerrariChat

we have liftoff

Discussion in '360/430' started by unkiemotorhead, Sep 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    #1 unkiemotorhead, Sep 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So after much searching of both my soul and the market, I added a Silverstone/Bordeaux 2009 F430 stick to my meager stable. Last of the three pedal Ferraris? Sounds like a possible theme. Intercity Lines dropped it off at first light a few days ago.

I'm coming from a 996 turbo that I track, into this monster (which I do not plan to track - lack the budget to self-insure something this costly). I went this direction for many reasons, one of which was the "driving experience" complements that can commonly be found in the automotive press, and confirmed by this fraternity here. No fooling. Did several hundred miles on freeways and back roads in the SF Bay Area over the last couple of days and am just giddy. Holy smokes Batman. The speedometer just can't be right. I'd accuse you of holding out on the rest of the sports car madness society, except that you've been clear: this thing is really a hoot.

It’s a bigger faster louder crazier version of the NSX I tracked for 10 years. Extra cylinders are a good thing. Etc.

Car has a ton of clear bra including the entire hood, which takes away the gorgeous depth of the paint. I'm not sure I'm going to keep that much clear bra, but will live with it for a while to see what I think. I hear that if I practice more, I can dodge oncoming airborne rocks. Maybe.

The original sticker shows unusual options, for your amusement - carbon kit for rear engine grill, engine compartment, driving zone, lower cabin zone, rear segment, and toothbrush holder.
    Yikes.

Even with 25 years of coaching and driving all kinds of cars on track, I find the carbon ceramic brakes on this difficult to modulate perfectly during street driving. Even when I'm pushy to warm the brakes up a little, those little moments of initial and final brake effort still aren’t artful. Wizards way involved in race cars with CC brakes and brake tech warned me that these will be difficult to modulate. So I will soldier on attempting to learn the finer points of driving with these brakes artfully. I have giant Girodisc steel brakes on the 996 TT and those are easy to modulate perfectly on both street and track. Girodisc makes a steel rotor conversion for the Scud, but not for the base 430. Yet. Thoughts?

Manual transmission – shifter, heel toe downshifting, clutch feel, clutch engagement all work fine except it seems that until the transmission fluid is warmed up nicely, downshifting into second gear is a little balky. That problem gets solved on manual transmission BMWs with redline synthetic gear oil, but the fluid in the F430 transmission is already synthetic as I understand it, so that's not it. Soooo I guess I’ve got a work more on my heel toe double clutch downshifting? Gack. Or maybe just wait until the fluid warms up?  In contrast, downshifting into third and fourth requires almost effortless shift lever moves. Maybe someone here has a clue I’m not yet aware of.

Rear view mirror seems stable enough to carefully inspect traffic way back for, um, potential problems, but at higher speeds, a little vibration sets in that it makes that less practical. It doesn't feel like tire vibration…. Just overall Batmobile vibration that comes with speed I guess. I'll make it work.

Lastly, thanks so much to this community for all I've learned over the last year, to support my decisions and then my hunting and gathering. Sooooo much more to learn. This'll be a good ride. 

Unkiemotorhead
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Ooooh yeah! GREAT 430!!! You've got yourself a very nice one there. You are going to absolutely love Ferrari ownership. Congrats and welcome.

3. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Sweet!!! Enjoy it everyday you can.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Congrats and welcome . Great looking rig man !

5. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    You got yourself a unicorn there!

6. StreamlineGT

StreamlineGT Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2010
    Marlborough, CT
    Full Name:
    Brendon
  7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Very nice! LOVE the 3 pedals..

8. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Had my 3 pedal out today...amazing how many people stopped to inquire about the car at every place I was today. One gentleman even stated how nice it was to see me welcome any and all questions, kids, pictures, etc. He said it must be irritating to have so many stop me, to which I replied....I am an enthusiast and I hope to create a few more...
    Cheers! Get out and drive that beast!

9. howl

howl Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago/Boca
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Beautiful car. I have an '07 6mt. Feel free to PM me any questions.

10. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    I now what you're saying...comparing it to an NSX is a compliment that few people here will understand or appreciate but it's true.

11. mah_hai

mah_hai Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Canada
    I also find it hard to shift from 1-2 when the car is warming up so I normally go 1-3 until the car warms up then 1-2 is much easier.

When I purchased the car I was also told that when I came to a complete stop (red light or stop sign) go from N-2-1, the 1-2 shift after is pretty much effortless. Not sure why this works but it does so its become a habit of mine.

let me know if this is the same for you. Mine is a 05 manual.

12. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Congrats on the 430 it is a spectacular machine.
    Enjoy the ride!

13. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Great looking 430 you have there. Definitely a keeper. Enjoy it!

14. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    Thanks so much for your responses and input! Sooooo much to learn. unkie

15. ferraristyle1

ferraristyle1 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    1 to 2 is usually hard on these cars until the fluid is warmed up. I installed the hills shifter bearing which helped dramatically but still have the issue on startup.

16. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Congrats, she's a beauty.

17. michael66899

michael66899 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Bellingham
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Congrats that is a fantastic car! I actually love the color combo but more importantly it has THREE PEDALS!!

If you'd like to talk brakes drop me a line!

18. NCromwell

NCromwell Karting

Apr 27, 2014
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Nate
    Damn damn damn sexy. One for each pedal.

19. intercity

intercity Karting

May 5, 2009
    Unkiemotorhead,

Thank you for your business and the great photo's of your 430, we really appreciate it. If we can help you with any future moves please let us know.

20. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    Yup. I've used Intercity mebbe 8 times by now, and have another in the hopper. White glove operation. As it should be. tnx! j

21. unkiemotorhead

Nov 14, 2013
    I understand that Jay Leno uses them because he found out I did. hoho

22. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Beautiful 3 pedal car...Congrats.

23. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great write up and what a car! Good Job!

24. SkiAndSail

SkiAndSail Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    +1 on the NSX comparison. Mine's (early '91) selling tomorrow morning, which will go some way to offset the mechanic's bills on the F430 Spider that replaced it.

I chose paddle-shift for the novelty and was prepared to be a bit disappointed. Tell you this though, there's nothing like brap-brap-brap at 8,500 rpm. Plus, you can downshift at 6k without worry. More than makes up for it really, and that's coming from a dyed-in-the-wool stick shifter who used to have Alfas with blown synchromeshes.

However crawling down Russian Hill with it and not destroying the front end, not so fun. Zooming up in 1st briefly at redline, hilarious!

Congrats on buying the very last of the breed.