360 - Comfort or Sport mode? | FerrariChat

360 - Comfort or Sport mode?

Discussion in '360/430' started by asl911, Sep 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asl911

asl911 Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Andy Lee
    Having had my 360 for about 6 weeks an covered nearly 1000 miles, I have decided that I much prefer the car when its in sport mode. Does anybody else run their car in sport mode all of the time ? - Can this cause any long term problems ??

2. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

Always in sports mode unless wet roads and no problems.

3. MD355

MD355 Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2004
    Athens, Greece
    Full Name:
    MD
    I depends, if your car is F1 I think sport mode is the way to go... Much better gear changes and less sensitive ASP... Only drawback is harder suspension...

If you car is manual, I switch off ASP completely off and use Normal suspension... I think this is the best setup for manual car...

4. asl911

asl911 Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Andy Lee
    My car is an F1

5. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

My car is manual gearchange and always in sports mode! On normal roads, much safer to keep ASP on.

6. chefcore

chefcore Karting

May 8, 2014
    Virginia
    As an added benefit, sports mode allows you to go over speedbumps! :)
    I always leave mine in sport unless its a long highway drive.

7. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    How is that?

8. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Always ASR off and Sport on.

9. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    +1

10. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    What else does Sport mode do but make the throttle more sensitive? Does it semi-disable traction control? What I found in my 997S was that it was useless other than making the gas pedal sensitive (it supposedly stiffened suspension also), which is the opposite of what I want on a race track. Sorry, but to me it's a bunch of BS unless it effects suspension and computer nannies to a noticeable degree..

11. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I went on a bumpy road in sport mode, on the way back, I took it out sport mode. Seemed just as bumpy to me.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    There is a noticeable difference in suspension. Not sure why you didn't notice, maybe just not enough seat time in the car. As to GaryR's comment: I can't imagine why you want the suspension that soft on a track.

Sport also changes the ASR's response so it is much less restrictive. Not like ASR off but you can definitely tell the difference.

13. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Sorry, I think the hitting of a button for performance is a joke on a racetrack. If you can make the car perform under normal circumstances disabling nannies will do nothing for you. I'm only speaking from about 50 days Instructing in a nannied car (sorry, only Porsche) as a PCA Nationally certified instructor but you may be better at this than I am. To me, nannies of ANY SORT are BS.. I race a 0% nanny car.

14. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew

Could be. I've had the car for a week. And the bumpy road was terrible, it would have been rough for a Mercedes.

15. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

As far as I know and I had it from a good source is that sports mode ONLY effects suspention and E diff...nothing else!

By the way, one of my Tubi tail pipes snapped off at the weld and was lost, Tubi no longer make that model so a new Capristo Race with full sound was fitted..now this is serious noise!!!

16. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I like to drive mine in Sport mode, but confess that I usually leave it in "regular" mode. That's pretty much because of the firmness added to the suspension. But, the gear changes (F1 car) in sport mode are pretty sublime. I'll run sport mode from time to time, but usually, I'm in normal mode.

17. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

You're talking about a 360?

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Manual tranny. Sport mode. Always in Sport mode.

19. raywong

raywong Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Raymond
    Much stiffer ride in sport mode, unless something is broken. It happened to me. It would go into stiffest setting and stay there when ecu detects an acceleration sensors malfunction. It will also trigger a warning light.
    Some source say the stiffness is control by a valve in the damper, some say its by electro magnetised fluid. Some say its made by Boge, some say by Sach... can anyone confirm?
    I always use normal mode when I am not driving fast, thinking it might prolong life of some expensive bushing, damper, ball joints... Not sure it makes much difference.

20. ApeGen

ApeGen Formula 3
    Owner

Jun 3, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have a manual and I put it on normal mode 80% of the time. I pretty much only take the car out for morning drives in the twisty roads; as much as I want to put it on sports mode for spirited driving, the roads are simply way too bumpy, making the ride too harsh.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Raymond- Sport mode controls an internal actuator to stiffen jounce and rebound. Magneride was not introduced in Ferraris until the 599.

With F1, I always stay in normal until everything is warm. The system is temperature compensated, but I like to err on the side of prolonging synchro life. With a three pedal, makes no difference.

22. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I promised myself that I would not turn off the traction control for the first 30 days of ownership. I kept that promise. On day 31 I turned the traction control off and have never turned it on since. I used to drive with the sport mode on all the time, but now I only turn it on when on a "spirited" drive. The softer ride is more comfy.

23. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

#23 Phil.c, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Just to clear things up, what switch symbol are all comments refering to with "Normal" mode? I guess it's the slippery road motive only I can't remember if my old 360's manual mentioned "Normal" my 430's certainly doesn't.

24. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I think "normal" mode is with the "sport" switch off, at least referring to the context of this thread, I don't think that's how Ferrari refers to it.

I always understood the sport on to do three things in the 360, a more real time drive by wire throttle, stiffer dampening, and less intrusion from the traction/yaw nanny, that's it. Maybe rifledriver can chime in, he would be able to confirm.

25. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

I might be confused as I can't remember if my old 360 had a sports on/off button as opposed to the drive mode switch on my 430. I seem to remember the on/off switch to the right and below the instruments, my 430 has no such switch.