What else to check before paying ? | FerrariChat

What else to check before paying ?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Baracuda, Sep 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Baracuda

Baracuda Rookie

Apr 26, 2008
    Bucharest, Romania
    Full Name:
    Jamal
    Hello !

Long time lurker (too long!) about to pay for a 07 F430 F1 with 7600km. Checked the car in person 2 times, everything is pristine, no visible damage, no repaints (checked with paint thickness gouge)

Tomorrow i had the car programed for inspection and service to the Ferrari dealership. I have asked them to do a complete check and full service.

Do i need to ask something in particular about the car, i mean for the dealer to check or they will check everything on their own and make a report with the status of the car ?

I've been reading some topics on this forum and (i think) i know the generic problems like the ones related to the exhaust brackets, headers and f1 pump/actuator - but i guess they also know about them so they will check.

I was thinking of asking about the F1 clutch usage, what is the expected percentage on a car with such low mileage ?

I can't think of anything else to ask about... what would you ask ? :)

Also one thing about the F1 gearbox : My house has a very small incline from the street, like the ones you have in US when you go off the street into a supermarket parking or stuff like that; it's very short also, like 1 and a half cars long. Should i avoid backing the car into my garage ? Or it's ok to do it on a regular basis ?

Thank you so much for your help and i hope that in less than 24 hours i will enjoy my new ride !

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    If your drive is up try to go forward

There is no expected percentage it could be 10 % or 90 % according to previous owner use

Make sure you get both keys, all the books (in a wallet), toolkit, cover etc - try to get copies of all service documents

If it has optional carbon brakes I think you can get a wear figure

I may have forgotten something so look for the many previous similar threads here or the Aldous Voice blog

3. Baracuda

Baracuda Rookie

Apr 26, 2008
    Bucharest, Romania
    Full Name:
    Jamal
    Thanks for your input !

It has everything that comes with the car, even the optional spare wheel that goes in the trunk. No carbons so i will only check the state of disks and pads.

Do they check the clutch wear by default or do i have to ask/pay ? I've read that they can only know +/- 15%

Thanks again.

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The dealer should do an SD2 (or similar) computer printout which will have hundreds of pieces of irrelevant data but also a few interesting items such as clutch wear mileage & gearbox use

5. Baracuda

Baracuda Rookie

Apr 26, 2008
    Bucharest, Romania
    Full Name:
    Jamal
    Hello

I am happy to say that everything checked out really nice ! There are minor things that need sorting like a little play on the left back wheel, hairline fisure at the exhaust bracket and old belt/tensioners (they need to be changed every 5 years). Seller agreed to pay for all those (1200euros + vat for parts and labor) so i bought the car ! :)

Tomorrow i will pick her up from the Ferrari dealership as they need to finish up service. F1 clutch is used only 26% so it's plenty of meat left on that baby !

6. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Have the mechanic go through all the perimeters of the F1 and see if initial clutch reading is correct. There are ways to reset the perimeters to make the SD2 computer state that there is MUCH more clutch than there really is (ask me how I know).

7. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Congratulations@!
    Do you have any snaps?

8. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Alarm Pin code u wanna see that sequrity sealed paper in there with the books! !!!!!!!!!
    Congrats.