F1 clutch issue when starting, and cool powder coated calipers | FerrariChat

F1 clutch issue when starting, and cool powder coated calipers

Discussion in '360/430' started by SkiAndSail, Sep 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SkiAndSail

SkiAndSail Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    #1 SkiAndSail, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hello everyone,
    Put several thousand miles on my newly acquired F430 spider. Apart from known mechanical foibles, it's been reasonably reliable. Next mod is an airbox. Miss the steering feel of my old NSX but everything else more than makes up for it.

After starting up, I reverse out of my garage space, then flip to 1st gear from R. For the first 30 seconds' driving, it's almost as if I'm in 'half' a gear - as if the clutch doesn't fully hook up to 1st gear and I'm revving without putting much power to the ground. After about 30 seconds, everything is fine. The clutch doesn't slip anymore regardless of where I'm shifting.

Is this normal?

Below's a pic over at Concorso Italiano. Had the brakes coated yellow with black print to offset the dark blue:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    Mine does not do that--so seems not normal to me.

3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Get it checked out before you burn it out. That is not right.

4. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Is it 30 seconds or is it 10 seconds once you start to accelerate. 30 seconds would be an issue my car does the same but only when it has not reached temperature and only for about 10 seconds when starting out. I have had my car in to adjust PIS settings and it is still the same clutch was not out of adjustment. It seems to be a normal thing I have a friend who's car did acted the same when cold.

5. SkiAndSail

SkiAndSail Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Good point, 10 seconds once I start to accelerate. Takes that long to get onto a stetch of road. Thank you!

6. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    After reversing out of the garage, I click it into 1st. When first giving it some gas it seems like its not going much, but once rolling, I let off on the throttle and the clutch seems to lock up within a couple yards.