Clearcoat peeling from rockguard removal | FerrariChat

Clearcoat peeling from rockguard removal

Discussion in '360/430' started by mah_hai, Sep 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mah_hai

mah_hai Karting

Jan 29, 2009
    Canada
    #1 mah_hai, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So I purchased the car with existing rockguard however it only covered half of the hood. I wanted to get it re-done since I prefer to have the entire hood and front fenders to be covered.

I brought it in to get detailed today and when they started to remove the rockguard, the clearcoat came off as well .....

So I guess what I'm wondering is, what are my options?

I'm assuming a repaint - but has this happened to any of you before?

The only thing that I can think of why this happened is the front of the car has been repainted and the rockguard was applied too soon, therefore the peeling the paint.

Thoughts?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Very common when people remove stone guard without using a hand held heat blower.

Only option now is to have it blended or completely respray the front end.

3. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    I talked with one of the early pioneers of the clear stone guard material who sold his stake to one of the major players in today's market, and he told me that he won't put it on his own cars (a collection to be jealous of). He told me that unless the car is out of the sun, heat, etc., then there is always discoloration from the clear protection covering, which makes total sense considering the exposure to the elements will affect the covered and non-covered areas differently due to light refraction, heat transfer, etc.. He said that since I live in a "gray environment" of mild temps (Seattle) and keep my cars in a climate controlled garage, it is the best scenario, but there is still likely to be some discoloration if I ever wanted to just remove the clear protection and go without it.

4. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    I bought a 2006 430 that came with a partial rock guard membrane on various portions of the front. I think it looks pretty bad. Has a bit of haze that doesn't go away during a detail, and is visible in some lighting. The edges are visible, slightly discolored and not completely smooth. It needs to be removed. But I fear that when I have it removed the original paint underneath may be damaged and trigger a very expensive repair, so I'm afraid to mess with it yet even though I don't like how it looks.

I think these membranes are a bad idea. The concept of risking completely destroying the paint job in order to protect it from minor damage is not logical. Installation of a temporary membrane that might reduce rock damage but might also cause uneven paint fading or lifting of paint during removal is too much risk for too little reward. And the membrane is guaranteed to need to be replaced periodically as it will start looking bad before the rest of the paint. My 8 year old car only had 6k miles when I got it and I think the membrane had visual problems that warranted replacement years ago, probably having only 5 years of good life. It even has some rock impacts that damaged the paint through the membrane, further decreasing the upside value of risking the whole paint job to MAYBE protect against rocks.

At some point I'll gather the nerve to have the membrane removed and make sure I use someone who knows how to do it to minimize risk of damage, use an appropriate heat gun, be very careful, etc.

What do you want to bet I have a visible fade line across the middle of the hood where the membrane stopped and have to repaint anyway . . .

5. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I was quoted $900 to paint the entire front end. To apply a clear film would cost around $1500 so I will wait until my stone chips are too much for me to look at and have it painted.
    Alan

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Perfect logic.

One more point:
    When a chip occurs in the film, you can't fix it.
    When paint gets a chip, it is an easy fix.

I wish the general public would wise up to these films - then I can buy my 2nd hand F-cars without 'em.

Rgds,
    Vincezo

7. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #7 Voda, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We've all seen guys who do their entire car. This all reminds me of how my grandmother used to have the plastic furniture covers...remember that? The "couch prophylactic." IMO, just get out there and enjoy it instead of trying to save it for the next guy.

Mountainman puts it best, "These are a bad idea"

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    $900? Only from Earl Schibe... ;) Possibly just the bumper.

9. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Your bumper was likely sprayed. Factory paint shouldnf do that. They likely painted to cover chips, wait for it to cute and put 3m on

10. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I just peeled it off my windshield, no idea why it was put on but the fact that it was obviously yellowed is enough reason for me to get the crap off my car.. looked like a 3 pack a day Camel smoker worked on it.

11. Cyt

Cyt F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2014
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Cyt- Chin
    I think it's on the windscreen cause of fine 'sandblast ' effect from driving.

12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    European Auto Works Greensboro NC
    Alan

13. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I don't agree. I have my entire front clip on my 430 covered in EagleGuard film. I purchased the car that way and quite frankly I'm glad it had it. I had the half hood film on my 355 and couldn't stand people saying "how did you get that scratch on your hood?". Mine was installed so well that I can barely tell, as well as most people, that it is even there. I love the piece of mind that when a rock bounces off my hood from a pick up truck in front of me, that most likely I will not get a chip. It happened several times already. I know how I am and if I had even one chip I would want to get it repaired ASAP.
    If you drive the car on highways then I think this film is a must IMHO. If anything at least the front bumper and rocker panels should be covered. These cars seem to attract stones!