Was this a steal for a 430? | FerrariChat

Was this a steal for a 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Extreme, Sep 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Wow! I had a 2007 430 on my ebay watch list just to see what it ended up selling for as there was no reserve on it.
    It ended up selling for less than I figured at $82,603. check it out here and tell me if I missed a screaming deal just so I have something to be upset about. :)
    2007 Ferrari F430 Base Coupe 2 Door 4 3L | eBay

2. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    That's a super steal if really has a clear title/clean carfax.

3. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Big ifs on eBay sometimes. That price would indicate some kind of story or it's the steal of the year.

4. jehu999

jehu999 Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Coastal Central Fl
    Full Name:
    James
    Hard to believe that's a no stories car. If it is then yes it was a very good deal even with those miles. Also makes me really glad that I bought a CS instead of a 430.

5. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Lol I highly doubt the owner completed the deal!!!! I have bought and sold many cars in eBay and what's on eBay and the amounts that actually trade hands are quite different!!!

6. Stout

Stout Formula Junior

May 9, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Full Name:
    Victor
    Exactly. Just because the auction ended above the reserve does not mean the seller will follow through on the sale. It happens all the time.

7. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I also wondered if the seller would go through with the deal although he does have 100% feedback. I just can't imagine why anyone would take that kind of loss on a good car, does make you wonder if it has a story. I wish I would have taken the listing more seriously as I really figured it would go for a much higher price so I didn't pay much attention. Sometimes sellers will list "No Reserve" and then have someone else or another account to bid the price up to what they want out of it.

Well it worked and now I am beating myself up for not bidding on this one...

8. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    #8 Extreme, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    I just found the same 430 on another listing site and the seller was only asking $90k with no mention of anything wrong with her. 2007 Ferrari 430 for sale in Englewood, New Jersey VIN: ZFFEW58A470151787 at Mint-Cars.com

Found the car on a few different web sites with asking prices as high as $135k. Dang this one even had carbon ceramic brakes. Is it a 430 challenge?

So how much would a 430 similar to this one normally sell for? I was figuring around $120k low end.

There is no way the seller will take that kind of loss and actually go through with the sale, I will just keep telling myself this as I shed a tear.

9. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Wow, that 430 for $90k, looks nice. 30k miles though is a lot. Are you interested in it?

10. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    SIMPLE...Call the Seller...His Phone Number is Listed.....And Ask him if the Sale went through......Most, or 85% of these Don't actually go thru, Sellers use ebay as a advertising tool and get a serious buyer to "Talk" to them....and sometimes Bid...I did buy my 328 thru ebay, 5 years ago, But I talked to the guy selling it before I bid, and he told me...Its getting pretty close to my reserve, which is XXXXX, so if you want it, Bid over that and you should win.....Most of the People that win these, are Teenagers or someone with no intentions of following thru with the payment....Not All...but a lot...so I've heard.

11. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    Then AGAIN....without a PPI...Who Knows if its a good deal or not....Lots of things can happen in 30,000 miles.....Could be the Deal of the year....or You don't won't to touch it with a 10 ft pole....could go either way if all you have is the "ad" to go by.

12. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #12 Kevin Rev'n, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Is getting a PPI pretty standard procedure before buying a 430? I had a 355 I bought without a PPI cause I was new to the Ferrari scene and didn't know any better. But then of course the 355 has the dreaded timing belt change and some have valve issues.

14. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    I would think a PPI would be standard...but it depends on the circumstances .....I had a PPI done on my 328, 5 years ago, I bought it on ebay, I didn't know the seller, and he was selling it for his Fathers Friend...but he grew up around Ferraris and was knowleghable and knew the Car.......But you just never know, it had 52,000 miles, so I had it done....He was right, the car was good...but it gave me peace of mind.

With the 430 I just bought...I didn't have a PPI...the car was just in the shop for service and it only had 4600 miles and the seller is a guy I trust and he promised me there is no problems. If I wanted to have one done, I could have, but it Probably would have been a waste of time.....I'm taking a gamble, but seems a reasonable one......A PPI only finds out what is wrong with the car at that Time.......we all know, a hour down the road, anything can happen anyway. :D So, I Guess it "just Depends"

15. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    3rd relist, car is rough, side mirrors are taped on the car. Price reflects the cars condition, Not a steal just a rough car IMO.

16. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    #16 Extreme, Sep 25, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
    4th relist as the car is back up again.
    It did look like the mirrors were taped on didn't it?

I'm tempted to bid but honestly I'm tired of buying high ticket items on eBay without prior inspection.

Wouldn't this car be worth at least $80k to a dealer wholesale if the car was in good condition? Something smells fishy... Anyone near Englewood NJ for inspection?

17. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I would be worried about water damage/flood car looking at those seats.

18. KJM3SMG

KJM3SMG Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2006
    Loudoun County, VA
    Full Name:
    Karl - KJ
    why do people keep falling for "great" deals

19. Lore2486

Lore2486 Rookie

Mar 25, 2011
    Also no pininfarina badge on the passanger side, might have fallen off or might have been repainted hard to tell from pics

20. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Good eye. They shouldn't just fall off the ones on my 355 were mounted with studs, no way to come off. I would imagine the 430s are the same way.

21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    The crabs picked it off. They like shiny stuff I hear. LOL

22. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
  23. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say:

1. Car probably has paint work
    2. Is probably ready for a new clutch
    3. Has suffered from neglect

But for 80K, I could get over most of that if there is no paint work... Maybe I should sell the R8!! Naa....

24. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    Check the pics again, I see a Scud badge on passenger side.

Ferrari 430 Base Coupe 2 Door | eBay

The car is listed on eBay again by the same guy. either deal fell through, or guy bought his own car to avoid it being sold too cheaply. There is precedent in the past 6 months for private sales of 430 coupes under $100k.

25. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    I inquired about paint work and the wrinkling of the seats, his reply:

"The front bumper has been repainted. The leather on the seats is wrinkled, as with many higher mileage Ferraris, because of their use."