my 1st Ferrari and F1 problems in 1st hour....need UR HELP please! | FerrariChat

my 1st Ferrari and F1 problems in 1st hour....need UR HELP please!

Discussion in '360/430' started by veilstylez, Sep 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    Hello everyone, joined here 9 years ago and been lurking and reading since, well finally got my first Ferrari today.
    its a 2005 F430 spider 19k miles. 9/2005 built.

little long but please help.

So I pick up the car today and about an 40mins of driving, I turn on the A/C. then about an hour in on the freeway. I was going 70mph and then slowed down suddenly to 10mph from traffic. I press the gas and no power so I look down at the gauges the "slow down" light started flashing...the F1 gearbox light started flashing after...then it went back to 5th gear automatically, so I need to down shift but it wouldn't ...as coasting got it into 2nd and car started going again. Then a few miles down the road...the "slow down" started flashing again and the F1 gearbox started to flash, went out of gear to N then back in the 5th...and in 5th the car didn't do anything...I was in 5th and when I give it gas all it did was rev but no slipping or anything just revs. I had to coast it off the side of freeway. Once I pulled over a few seconds later the warning lights stopped flashing, so I was able to go to 1st gear and go. Got back on the freeway, started going and did it again and had to pull over again. I shut the car off then turned it back on..still same.

So I got off the fwy and started driving local streets.

Now what I noticed is this, 1-3rd gear is fine(most of the time.I was able to drive it as long as I didn't pass 3rd gear) ...so when I go from 4th to 5th...theres a little lag, the F1 starts flashing, and I'm stuck in 5th for a little bit...all power lost "slow down" is flashing then as I'm coasting...it will go back to N then back to into gear. or if I'm dead stopped it will go to N after a few seconds and Ill start over from 1st.
    But sometimes it will get out of gear on 2nd to N

I've been on this forum looking for answers for last 4 hours. Please help if anyone can. Thank you!

2. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Did you have a PPI done on the car? If so, what was the reading of the clutch wear or remaining clutch life? That's my first thought, but the behavior is kinda weird.

Edit: Though I don't believe clutch wear will trigger the slow down light. In the 360, the slow down light is often related to the exhaust manifold / system temperatures.

3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'll bet you're going to have to put it under an SD3 scanner to find out what the computer thinks is wrong.

Ditto on the clutch above.. could also be an overheat on the eDiff fluid, etc. etc.

I'm thinking SD3 time unless someone else on here had the exact same symptoms.

4. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Usually when problems with gearbox is related to one gear (as in your case 5th) it is an actuator problem. The fact that you state it throws you in N gives credit to this opinion but, slow down flashing has nothing to do with actuator.

Maybe could be your e-diff but I cannot understand why you face the problem always with the same gear.--e-diff problems are not related to specific gears engagement...

when has the car been serviced last time?

5. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    Before taking this problem on yourself, what has the seller offered to do to rectify this? Not sure where you are located but in some places you may have recourse.

6. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Possibly low F1 pressure from a leak? I'd have the under tray removed and look to see if there is any F1 fluid weeping out of anything.

7. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This happens in the first hour? You most likely bought someone elses problems. If the problems were not disclosed drive it back to the seller dealer and demand it get properly reapaird or get a refund. If it passed a proper PPI? Could be you have really bad luck! IMHO

8. JSBMD

JSBMD Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2007
    The OC
    Full Name:
    John
    360 does not have e-diff, so rule that out.

You need to visit an SD3.

Sorry for your bad intro to Ferrari ownership. Maybe the seller can help with this repair...

9. SkiAndSail

SkiAndSail Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Hate to pile on the bad news but also bought an F430 with 19k miles several months ago - and a 2005 model. On the shakedown cruise the slow down showed up and then started flashing.

Pay attention to it; it might throw you into crawl home mode. For me it was blown headers and MAP sensor and and and and and....

Find a good independent mechanic. I had budgeted for this given the mileage, price bought, etc., but seriously, find a good mechanic. The blown headers were frying the other electrics, setting off the Slow Down. The F1 transmission may only be part of the problem. I'll never buy a (modern) car again without a scanner.

Let us know what the issues were.

10. elt360

elt360 Karting

Mar 27, 2013
    uk
    Full Name:
    paul elton
    Its a 430

11. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    It's probably air in the system, needs to go back to the dealer you bought it from.

John.

12. Buckynsparty

Buckynsparty Karting

Jan 23, 2012
    MI/AZ
    Full Name:
    Jim
    ^ this is exactly what happened to me with my 2005 F430. Failed hydraulic hose. Ferrari had a new F1 upgraded hose kit (all lines) is I had them all replaced. Check for a fluid leak.

13. weebz69

weebz69 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Gilbert AZ
    Full Name:
    Jason W.
    Sorry to hear that. We should make a club, I just bought my first Ferrari owned it for a week and the heat exchanger went out on me, been in the shop longer than I had it in my garage. So I came to the conclusion that the only reason someone sells such a beautiful car is its a headache for them. Its sad there are people out there like that. But hope you find out whats wrong and that it doesn't rape your wallet. As mine did.

14. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Did you do a PPI before you bought the car?

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F430 F1 problems? Take it to a competent technician with an SD3 or equivalent and let him diagnose the problem. Otherwise all of us are just whistling in the wind. Then hope it is something inexpensive, like it usually is.

If it is really bad, GTE Engineering rebuilds actuators and Goodridge can build you a new set of far superior hoses for about 10% of what Ferrari charges.

16. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

I'm going through this right now. Leaking actuator not covered by my Powertrain warranty. A loophole that FNA put in there that gets them out of a failed actuator for leaking. Leaks not covered!!! How else does an actuator fail? I'm opting to get a brand new actuator though. Around $10k but haven't confirmed it yet with my Ferrari dealer. I went through hell with the same exact thing with my 355 and can't believe the F1 actuator gremlins followed me and got me again. It really makes me lose faith in the brand. I bought a supposedly bulletproof F430. That is definitely not the case.
    On another note, I now do not believe in buying an extended warranty ever again on any future Fcars I may buy. And FNA wanted me to renew for $4200!!! Yeah OK.

Make sure the actuator is checked. That might be the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- For $2600 you can get the actuator rebuilt and GTE has done a ton of them with really good results.

Home

18. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Yes. Thanks. I heard about them. Problem is I'm limited on time. My car is apart right now on their lift and I have several events coming up in the next two weeks including a rally that I put together. Timing is horrible for me and I'm kind of stuck. Unless I can get this thing overnighted to him and he can rebuilt in a day or two and have overnighted back, it won't work. Plus now at least I have piece of mind that I have a brand new actuator with a warranty (one that actually is in fact a warranty) and won't have to deal with this again. Ugh!!

19. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Without an SD3, we are all guessing.

My big question is if this happened in the first hour after you left the dealer, why hasn't it been brought back and either a full refund or proper fix been demanded?

20. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    I had to make an obvious suggestion, but for those that bought a car with issues in the first hour, can't you go back to dealer and threaten them with lemon laws?

21. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Op never posted again. Who knows what happened.

22. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

+ 1 I wonder if he got it sorted out ?

23. weebz69

weebz69 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Gilbert AZ
    Full Name:
    Jason W.
    Nope but the guy had one down from less than 2 months from when i bought it. So i figure id go and trust that one. And was noted only power steering leak. It was at a ferrari dealer in Cali and i guess after my exchanger went out the guy who sold me it gave them some negative feed back cuz they should of caught that.

24. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Taz...thanks so much for this recommendation. I am having it overnighted to them and they promised me next day turnaround time and overnighting it back to Ferrari of LI at no extra charge. This saved me $6k. God bless Fchat!!!

25. Crayzee1

Crayzee1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    That is awesome!