360 F1 with Twin Turbo...good or bad | FerrariChat

360 F1 with Twin Turbo...good or bad

Discussion in '360/430' started by weebz69, Sep 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. weebz69

weebz69 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Gilbert AZ
    Full Name:
    Jason W.
    Hey guys. Well my buddy is getting a brand new corvette. I want to make sure he only sees my tail lights. So I was thinking of doing a twin turbo kit on my 360. Now here is the down fall its a F1. So anyone out there twin turbo a Ferrari with a F1? How many miles do you get out of the clutch? Does the tranny hold up. What else gives out? Let me know your thoughts.

2. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    my thoughts? one of 3 plans.
    Plan A: Sell the 360, get a GT-R. Vette sees tail light every.single.time.
    plan B: Get a 997 911TT. Ditto.
    disclaimer - I don't condone street racing.
    Plan C: Keep the 360. Accept that he has a newer, faster, less expensive, more reliable car and still be happy about enjoying your car.

3. Speedster_4_me

Speedster_4_me Karting

Dec 10, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    I told my friend with the GT-R. He is passing everyone because everyone is slowing down to admire my 360:)

4. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    wow, let's take a fragile motor to begin with and add forced induction.

Better answer would be to yank out the Ferrari engine and drop in a Ford crate motor, then knock yourself out with the add-ons...

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Perfect answer.

The only thing to add is to remind him at the end of the day you have a Ferrari in the garage and he has a Chevy.

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1. Don't waste time with the twin turbo. Your car is based on technology that is 15+ years old. You've got to tune it, which can be a PITA. It can be done.. but what are you doing to the cars character?

If keeping up with him is that important, get a 997TT or GT-R.

You also didn't mention how well he drives the car. If he's like most I've encountered down here, they can mash the pedal to the floor in the straights but can't corner worth a hill of beans. FYI one guy I know how has lots of time on the track who knows how to drive got the fastest time at Roebling. It's VERY competitive. But at C+C he's one out of 5 or 6 cars. Keep your 360 for what it is IMHO.

7. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    like Brian said...he has a Chevy, you have a Ferrari. You are enjoying life to the fullest,he is enjoying life at the fastest and everything is a blur to him. Skip the turbo's.

8. weebz69

weebz69 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Gilbert AZ
    Full Name:
    Jason W.
    All good points. Yeah I'll probably just stick with my original plan throw some fabspeed headers on it tune it maybe get 20 more hp out of it and hope he misses a gear lol. Yeah fragile is very correct I mean in the stock form these babies have a hard time staying out of the shop....my heat exchanger just took a dump a month ago that wasn't cheap.

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin

^^^Gospel^^^

I like choice B or C

10. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    sell your 360, buy a gallardo, send it to underground racing for a twin turbo set up... vette will see your taillights..

11. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I like choice C myself.

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you want to go fast, the 360 is not the car for you. Toss 4k at a Z06 and pretty much everything is in your rear view mirror.

There is no replacement for displacement.

Turboing your 360 is a waste of time and money. Hell a 2014 Benz amg station wagon will walk all over you. Somthing to thing about. Nothing like getting best by a wagon with child seats in the back..

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Can you imagine? Almost 600hp and 600ftlbs of torque in a friggin station wagon???. 0-60 in 3.4 sec?? Unreal. Ferrari who?

14. alex550575430

alex550575430 Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2009
    LOS ANGELES, CA
    Full Name:
    LIN ALEX
    Hahahahaha...

There you go.... Very well explained....

+100...

Alex

15. weebz69

weebz69 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Gilbert AZ
    Full Name:
    Jason W.
    LOL that is pretty *****in

16. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    Please don't turbo your Ferrari, if you want a Ferrari that's faster than a new Corvette buy a 458, don't modify and potentially ruin a great sports car.

If speed is your thing why not take the 15-20K you'd put in the 360 and buy a C5 Z06 and supercharge it, that is a very fast combo and when your done you'd have two for one.

17. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    Get the new Z06

/thread? :D

18. sparetireless

sparetireless Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    a stock motor cannot take more than 7lbs, maybe 10-14 tops.

7 should be fine and fun.

19. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 on that 5 to 7PSI will be stupid fun without killing the sound or pushing the motor to hard, turbo motors are better on the top end the valves are cushioned on closing, more toque will get you out the corner easy with more grip less spin. Down side is the extra torque you have will load the crank and drivetrain, the motor makes a lot more power per revolution at lower rpm. You will also short shift more as the high rpm is not needed. If you get the correct size turbo's and not so BS massive ball out things and sort the fuel and ignition mapping out you will have a great car that will dust any 430 with ease.

Don't aim for high BHP torque is king! keep the turbo's medium to small this will give you killer mid-range and almost no lag. I have been fitting turbo kits to engines that are much higher specs than most car engines, the principles are the same. The 360 motor is a copy of a Yamaha R1 design and 131bhp per ltr is not high performance for a bike engine. 180bhp per ltr is more like it. So if you add a little boost 20 to 25BHP per ltr you will have a safe engine and a boat load of power. I have always planned to do a turbo kit for my 360 and have had other distraction, one day I will do a kit as I’m not moving away from 360’s I’m adding to it.

I would use two Aerochargers here is a link to one of my turbo bikes, a few dyno runs also.

RaceComp Speed Triple - AerochargerAerocharger

20. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    I'm guessing that Ferrari engineers would strongly disagree with you, as do I.

There is a big difference in sport bike engine and Ferrari engine cost, and as far as the similarities, any engine with overhead cams and lighter rotating mass could be compared to a 360 V8.

This is a case of just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

21. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Who said anything about cost?

What would Ferrari engineers strongly disagree on? The basic principles are the same regardless of engine size or cylinder configuration.

The five valves per cylinder is almost identical to the Yamaha head, it worked very well for them as it did for Ferrari. If the motor could rev higher it would make more power however the rotating mass limits the RPM verse reliability. The smaller the stroke the higher the RPM.

22. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    If cost is not a factor, OP can, instead of spending the $ on turbo, trade in for an F430. Cost about the same yet a more reliable way to get more acceleration. The amount, if any, saved with the turbo will be gone with the repair of the highly tuned and expensive engine that is place under forced induction.

If cost is really not a factor, OP can get Porsche 918 (since LaF and P1 are sold out). the 918 will decimate the Vette.

23. stevecomp

stevecomp Formula Junior

Mar 1, 2013
    South Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Maybe he just likes 360's and is looking for a some more power.

24. MufflerMan

MufflerMan Formula 3

Jun 12, 2005
    Sacramento Ca
    Full Name:
    Colby Sandman
    That it is a good idea to turbo charge an engine that was designed to be NA.

I'm not an NA snob, I've had a number of turbo charged cars and a few that I've put turbo kits on. Almost every single one I've had for any length of time that I've either raised the boost on and or gone from NA to forced induction has had some sort of premature failure due to the boost, all except a couple of 911 Turbos, they always seem to be up to the abuse.

Your right, nothing was mentioned about cost, however, I came to the conclusion this has something to do with the OP's motivation as he is curious about modifying the lowest cost "modern" Ferrari available. My point was simply that a failure in your Yamaha sport bike engine, either catastrophic or something as simple as a head gasket, is a lot easier to deal with logistically and on the wallet. If money were no object it would seem logical to start with a newer faster car.

25. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    Isn't the base product already on the hairy edge regarding heat management in the engine compartment? I can't imagine how adding two turbochargers along with all the other hardware, would help an already bad heat evacuation design.

You guys who are turbo charging these cars (or planning on it) - how do you deal with heat?