Getting Attention In A Ferrari 360? | FerrariChat

Getting Attention In A Ferrari 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by ExtremeG, Sep 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ExtremeG

ExtremeG Rookie

Jul 9, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey gang,

I've been reading about a ton of information in this forums and thought I would make my first thread/post. I am a new/prospect Ferrari Owner (meaning I have a 2001 Red 360 Spider placed on order -- hasn't arrived yet -- PM me if you want to see pics).

My following questions is for the Ferrari 360 owners out there.

a.) What are your Ferrari attention experience?
    b.) How did it feel to see people admire the car?
    c.) And do you get used to the attention as time goes on?
    d.) Do you let people sit and/or drive your Ferrari?
    e.) What are commons questions people ask you when they walk up to you in your Ferrari?

2. Arron

Arron Karting

Mar 27, 2006
    Kent, UK
    a) In the UK, generally positive, don't think I have ever had any negative responses
    b) I have no ego whatsoever to massage so, meh
    c) I generally find attention a bit embarrassing tbh, I bought my car because it was a lifelong dream and I love the marque, not to 'show off'. I don't ever refer to the car in conversation and if I have to it is known as 'The Red Car', I never use the F-Word.
    d) Close friends have been allowed to sit and have been taken for a drive, no-one else has been in it let alone driven it.
    e) Is it a real one ?

3. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

#3 Phil.c, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    Much the same as Arron really.

Again in the UK.

a) Most people are in awe when they see it, but with a spider it can be a bit embarrassing when you stop in traffic in a town for example and everyone stands over you and stare.
    I have only had a couple of abusive words shouted out in about fifteen years, you just have to put it down to ignotance!

b) It feels good to some extent, again though, when your sitting in the car and people walk around you taking pictures...and I mean close up!!!

From time to time I get boy racers in small family cars right up your rear end revving the guts out of their 1300's and also trying to race you and I have also had cars overtake me and stay along side but only to find that they give the thumbs up and are then on their way

c) It grows on you and you get used to it, I also call it the "Red Car" as I feel it's a show off thing to even mention the word Ferrari.

d) Occasionally when there's a genuine admirer I let them sit in the car for pictures etc. but never drive!

e) Yesterday after driving into a car park a guy said to me, I notice that loud exhaust sound, is it there all the time even when driving? My answer yes, there's a hole in the exhaust:) his mate saw the funny side...he did later.
    Another comment, don't they give you some sort of a board so that the engine can be hidden?:)

4. OUMick

OUMick Formula 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    a. Some positive, some negative. Everyone wants to race. Be careful people drive very close to the car to see it and take pics.
    b. It's ok but after a while you want to be on a road by yourself.
    c.Somewhat
    d.I let kids sit in it and have pics taken. I drive it. I did let my daughter drive it in the neighborhood.
    e.How much was it, how fast have you driven it.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    a.) Every day out a thumbs up and a honk. People will take pictures.
    b.) Ambivalent. Cool that they like it. I don't need validation to enjoy the car.
    c.) Yeah you get used to it.
    d.) Sit yes. Drive, no. 3 people other than myself have driven it.
    e.) How much was it? Is it fast?

Yesterday we went to brunch and took "the red car". Parked outside and looked like we were going to have a simple meal without any attention. Just as we're getting into the car the owner comes out, offer for him to sit in it, his daughter and the sous chef come out.. as well as wait staff. All admired the car. Unless you live in southern florida, LA or Zurich.. get used to it. Gonna be a show wherever you go.

6. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

First off, welcome and congratulations! Why do we have to PM you to see pics? Just post here.

A-Mostly positive with the exception guys in Vipers who want to prove to themselves that they can smoke a Ferrari.

B-Love it. Makes me feel very proud. Wherever you go be prepared for people to come over and take pics. Just be careful on the road as you will see people tailgating you or drive along side of you to get a good pic (while driving I might add).

C-Sometimes you don't want the attention but being I drive a Rosso Corsa Spider, it's unavoidable.

D-I am selective in who I let sit in my Fcar. Usually kids are OK because I just love to see the look on their faces when behind the wheel. Of course their hands have to be clean! Anyone else it depends. No dangling keys from jeans or studs on pants. Be careful of women with pocketbooks as well. Those damn things can be huge with all kinds of zipper etc on them.
    No one drives my Ferrari except for me. To much of a liability.

E-Most common are..."What year is it?", "Is it expensive to maintain?", "What do you do for a living?", "How fast have you driven it?".

7. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    I tinted the windows on my TR and 360 to give me a little more anonymity. It can be a bit too much unwanted attention driving through town.

I simply roll up the windows now for "privacy"

Of course, that's going to be a bit more problematic in a spider with the top down

Don't sweat the small stuff, drive and enjoy your dream. Congrats!

8. traimpz348

traimpz348 Formula 3

Apr 13, 2004
    Avon,CT
    Full Name:
    Matthew

It's not too bad. I think my 348 got more attention honestly. Mostly thumbs ups and beeps. And every semi-sporty car wanting to race or ride your butt.

It's nice that people appreciate something you're passionate about.

Yeah, it's not really a bit part of driving for me. I probably don't notice 1/2 of it.

I let kids sit in it and take pictures. I've let my family members and close friends drive it. It's a pretty easy car to drive as far as exotics go. The 348 was different, I think it required more of a feel to drive it correctly. It's easy to tell an inexperienced driver to keep you foot in the accelerator when shifting an F1 then to explain how to shift a gated car. A gated car requires more "feel" to get it right.

e.) What are commons questions people ask you when they walk up to you in your Ferrari?

How much did it cost? How much horsepower? How fast is it? What year is it? Is that a mo deeee na?

9. Spitfire

Spitfire Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 16, 2006
    #9 Spitfire, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    a) The car gets lots of attention, mostly positive. I removed the rear emblems and put grey film over the enameled fender and trunk badges in order to tone things down a tad. I mean, the car is clearly a Ferrari, so I don't feel the need to have badges plastered all over it.
    b) My point of view is that because I'm fortunate enough to own this beautiful creation, it's a good thing to "share it" with those who do not own one. By and large it feels to good to know that it puts a smile on the face of others.
    c) As time goes by I feel less and less self conscious in it, but with the roof down it's hard to feel totally anonymous.
    d) I let people sit in it, but I always remind them to get in and out of it carefully since it's not a race.
    e) The usual question is "how much did it cost?', to which I reply "I don't know since my wife gave it to me for a birthday present." This always shuts them up. The other question usually relates to power and acceleration etc.. My car is TDF blue -- it always attracts a lot of comments because it's not red, and because TDF blue looks awesome on the 360.

10. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    Does anyone else think this post is a bit odd? OP's first post and no profile info. And really, "How did it feel to see people admire the car?" and "I have a 2001 Red 360 spider placed on order", etc. Questions b -- e just seem odd.

This rings of Castor/Smartguy....

11. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    I didn't want to say anything because I'm not an owner yet, and you guys have been nice enough to tolerate my presence at this forum -- but in all honesty the original post made me throw up in my mouth a little.

12. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

(I have a 2001 red 360 spider on order) are they still taking orders for those?

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yeah I thought about that. Esp. part about "ordering the car". I order them all the time from the window menu at Sonic.

Thread may have benefit to others contemplating.

14. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I thought the wording a bit weird but fun to reply to nonetheless. Let's see how this unfolds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

I must admit I didn't really "read" the post, but it is still possible to order a red 360 Spider, Corgi still make them....I think:)

16. asl911

asl911 Rookie

Dec 2, 2013
    Cheshire
    Full Name:
    Andy Lee
    A - Always positive. Always get a thumbs up.
    B - Gives you a good feeling.
    C - when you are driving the car, you never really notice the attention. But when you are in the passenger seat its can be quite embarrassing
    D - Happy to let people sit in it but not to drive it
    E - How much was it? And, How fast does it go?

17. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    This really sounds like some sort of sociology class survey.

Many, varied - all sexes, all ages, all good so far.

No surprised. I admire it every time I go into the garage to take it out.

Slightly. I probably don't notice as much.

Yes to sitting and pic taking - if they are clean and no snaps button.
    Maybe to driving if it's person I know, I like them and think they won't go crazy.
    Doing one this Saturday for a guy's 60th bDay.

New Mustang?
    What year?
    How much?
    Wanna trade? (lots of those)
    How fast have you had it up to (lots of those as well)

Occasional brat in mommy's car wants to drag.

18. ExtremeG

ExtremeG Rookie

Jul 9, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey guys. Thank you all for your kind responses. For those that are in question about my identity I apologize about that (will be updating my profile shortly). I'll post a few pics of the car here shortly so you guys can get an idea.

This is my first F-Car purchase and I've always love the 360. It's been my dream car since I was a kid and to be perfectly honest, my wife actually place the car on order for my recent birthday. All of these responses are well respected and I look forward to join in the Ferrari experience and be involved in this forum more.

19. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    The car is like a celebrity ...it calls attention everywhere all the time especially if red . Rarely negative .

Being that you are in LA it will probably be much less .

20. Phil.c

Phil.c Karting

You must admit, this statement sounds a bit confusing as the car is no longer in production and is impossible to order from new, unless you meant that you had put your name down for an available second hand one with your spec?

21. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Sure, I do get embarrassed sometimes, like at the petrol station and a kid asks to get in for a photo. Or I come out of McDonalds and there's an Asian family taking photos of each other standing by the car.

People look at me like I'm some rich buggar, but that's far from the truth.

The attention does bother me a bit sometimes.

The main questions I get are either, is it yours? Is it fast? is it new?

Still love the car though even if i'm not a rock star.

22. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The question I dislike the most is: how much is it worth?

My standard answer is: I really don't know, my wife bought it for me. <wink>

The <wink> is extremely important to make sure you dont come across as an arrogant dork.

Yes, the car gets lots of attention, most if not all the attention has been positive.

23. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    a. Mostly positive, but you can't be responsible for someone else having hate issues
    b. I'm OK with it. Hell...... I do the same thing when I see something cool.
    c. I've had these things for 30 years. I don't even notice. The wife does.
    d. Yes, all the time. If someone is an enthusiast, I like to share.
    e. How much? How fast? What do you do? Does it get chicks? (too much. fast enough, collect cans, just 12-17 yo boys unfortunately!)

24. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    a.) Overwhelmingly positive experience with exception of one mouth breather passenger who was in a CTS Cadillac who gave me the finger as he went by.
    b.) Its a nice compliment but I admire the car, that's all that matters to me.
    c.) You do get used to the attention and its like I said very positive and friendly.
    d.) Yes certainly let people sit in it. As far as driving it most are afraid to take a chance, but I have no problem with a real enthusiast driving it.
    e.) Mostly complimentary remarks from general public.