Help! No clutch pedal | FerrariChat

Help! No clutch pedal

Discussion in '360/430' started by DonJuan348, Sep 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Went to drive the 360 today after 2 months of sitting and the clutch pedal goes to the floor . No pressure behind it at all.

Any thoughts on possible issues ?

2. alex360S

alex360S Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2006
    Montreal, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Cracked bleeder block part # 235706.....possibly.

3. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Shouldn't there be symptoms before failing ? It was fine before parking . If it is cracked shouldn't there be brake fluid leak somewhere ?

Also where is this located , DYI fix?

4. cfoster32

cfoster32 Karting

Nov 15, 2010
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Full Name:
    Cody Foster
    It can happen with no warning. Check your brake fluid reservoir or have someone get in the car and press the clutch pedal and see if you can hear or see a leak anywhere. The clutch master cylinder is the most likely issue.

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I think its one of two things. 1- your clutch master cylinder has bit the dust. 2-"slave cylinder" has leaked and you lost pressure. I suspect/hope #1 based on age and miles. I've got a clutch MC in the garage just waiting to be installed. #2 you can check on bottom of car.

Bleed it and see if it improves. Loosen nipple on bleeder block and pump pedal, see how much you get. Remove and wind some plumbers tape on the nipple if its too loose to bleed and lets air in or use a MityVac.

If clutch MC order it from AW. Cheap.

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    My son reminded me that I had half pedal. It had play at and engaged almost when I left up on it .
    But I would never guess it go out while sitting. ..

I will check those things after work . Hopefully I will see evidence of leaking.

7. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Dude don't worry about it. It happens. You know the way these cars are.. beings with minds all their own. :) Let me see about changing my clutch MC this week. Worst case I send you up my working old one for testing purposes...

8. Lonnie

Lonnie Formula Junior

May 22, 2013
    NY/Delray Beach FL
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Mandel
    happened to me on a 360 all hydraulic lines needed replacing.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Why all the lines? That's ridiculous. Whomever told you this played you for a fool.

10. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I must agree with Curt ...All lines would not fail at same time . They may all look as if they need replacing but failure not likely

11. kitchenaid

kitchenaid Karting

Mar 31, 2009
    maybe mice chewed on them. mutant mice.

12. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    when checking brake/clutch fluid level, how high is it suppose to be? mine looks low, i can't see level indicator on outside .

where is bleeder block located to I can check for leaks

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Its on passenger side of engine. By oil filler down on side of transmission above the CV shaft. It's square with a little nipple on it. Look for brake fluid on floorpan.

FYI got my master cylinder replaced. 1.5 hours with pics. I'll post in a bit. Let me know if you see fluid by the bleeder block. I replace bleeder block later this week.

I find with brake fluid I sometimes have to take the top off of the reservoir to see the fluid. Should not be empty.

14. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

DonJuan348 this is what the fluid bleeder block looks like:

Ferrari Parts : 235706 BLOCK : Ricambi America

It is about 1.5 inches square, and perhaps .5 inches thick. We have the remanufacturered ones from Hill Engineering available in stock.

15. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Thanks Daniel

I looked at that last night ...I hope to get home in time to inspect it . If Hill makes it then it must be a part that commonly fails.

16. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    It was definitely low...it took a half of bottle of fluid...I will try and bleed it tomorrow

17. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    Hey DonJuan348, you should look up under the dash where the clutch pedal connects to the clutch master cylinder to see if its wet up there... If it is wet the clutch master is leaking...
    I do have a new clutch cylinder #180841 on my shelf at home. If it helps you out, I could let you have it cheap if you would require one. I got it from my dealer when I got my car. I dont need it, If your not in a hurry, I should be back in about a week. Im currently away for work.

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Hey thanks ...I will let you know . I will check under dash today and try and bleed . Being a closed system there's of reason to loose fluid. I may just change mc and block to avoid future headache .

19. Dubya

Dubya Karting

Jun 30, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    This happened to me, and after much troubleshooting, it turned out to be Thrust Bearing and seals!

20. THINKFAST

THINKFAST Karting

Jan 13, 2011
    Earth, mostly ...
    I just replied to your pm...

21. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If your fluid level was low then your clutch master cylinder likely swallowed a big gulp of air. I had this issue recently after a long weekend of hard driving. The pedal was a little "funny" and two hours later there was no pedal pressure at all. The brakes did not take in any air at all so it seems that perhaps the feed for the clutch cylinder is higher in the reservoir than the brake master (makes sense from a safety point of view).

Tip for bleeding, release the bleed nipple a half turn and place your finger over the nipple end and have your assistant pump. Your finger will yield to the pressure once it comes on but your finger pressure will prevent air getting sucked back in. It can take quite a lot of pumps (slow pumps) before you will feel any real pressure of fluid on your finger-tip. Once you're getting solid pressure with each press of the pedal you can then tighten up and proceed to bleed as normal with a few pumps of the pedal, then hold it down and release at the nipple while listening to the clutch release and nicking up the nipple before all pressure is released.

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Update ...last pedal again. Still dont see any leaks from bleeder block...

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    #23 vrsurgeon, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's going somewhere. Either the seals in the master cylinder are toast and it can't build pressure (expect a leaky MC) or its blowing out the clutch "slave cylinder". Its going somewhere. Can you check if there is any brake fluid here in the engine bay? (see pic)

rationale: if its a leaky MC, the fluid is going to leak out the inspection port beneath the clutch. Ideally the belly pan comes off..
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Is that the axle shield passenger side I'm looking at ? I plan to change mc and hope for the best. I will inspect

25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley

+1. Have you checked each of the calipers?