F430 Scuderia ceramic disk brakes for a normal F430 | FerrariChat

F430 Scuderia ceramic disk brakes for a normal F430

Discussion in '360/430' started by sot, Sep 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sot

sot Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    Please tell me if it is possible to put the ceramic F430 Scuderia disc brakes to a normal 430 Spider. My 430 Spider has already ceramic brakes. What other components will I have to change?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The only things you need to change are the front rotors and calipers and adapters. The 398 mm rotors and 6 piston calipers may be a really tight fit under the 19" wheels, but should barely fit. At least the 19" Challenge wheels will go over the brake set. The rear brakes are identical on the F430 and Scuderia. On the Scuderia, they did go to 8" front wheels to cut down on oversteer and to fit the larger brakes with more room to spare.

The F430 and Scuderia use the same master cylinder, so no problems there.

Big question would be why you want to do this? The 380 mm rotors and 6 piston calipers offer plenty of braking power and fill the wheels pretty well.

To be absolutely certain on the wheels, it would be smart to find someone with a Scud and see if your wheels will go over the Scud brakes.

3. AlgaeHater

AlgaeHater Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2004
    Bellevue, WA
    Are you certain 19" OEM wheels will clear the width of scud front calipers? I'm pretty sure they would interfere with the rear of the wheel face.

4. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    I know that the scuderia style F430 wheels don't clear Scud Calipers as the arch on the spokes is a lessor angle. If you already have carbon brakes on your F430 its a meaningless upgrade unless you track the car frequently

5. sot

sot Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    Thank you very much for your time! I do track the car a lot and I already have 72.000 km on these disks so I will need to change them pretty soon. I think it will be worth some extra money for the 298 mm Scuderia disks but I am trying to find out if I will also need to change the wheel rims because now I have the standard 430 spider rims.

6. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    I would recommend against it as discussed above because (a) I do not think they will fit without buying a new set of wheels and tires, and (b) I am certain you will not notice the performance difference. You could always buy a track set of rotors from the various sources that are steel and keep your CCBs for the road which should last a long, long time, but you would have to change them out every time you go to the track. At that point, you might as well start putting together a track-only car.

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The Challenge style wheels will go over the 398 mm brakes because an owner here has done it and they fit, barely. I am not sure about the standard 5/10 spoke wheels. Do a fit check to make sure. None of the 398 mm rotors and big calipers have much clearance with 19" wheels, Scud or otherwise. They modified the wheels (new part number) on the HGTC 575M to fit over the 398 mm CCM brakes and there still is not much clearance to the caliper.

8. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Terry - the master cylinder for steel brakes is different to that used for CCM brakes. You can use a steel master cylinder when fitted CCM brakes but the pedal will feel odd.

9. chillo

chillo Karting

Mar 18, 2009
    East Yorks, England
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #9 chillo, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    I have scud style wheels and challenge ceramics on my spider ;)

They definitely fill the wheel :D
    I'll get a pic

10. sot

sot Rookie

Sep 26, 2014
    So I guess if I deside to do it I will have to change the front rotors, calipers, adapters and a set of Scuderia wheels. Probably Quilty is right but I will check the cost and think about it because my wheels are also not in a very good shape.

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    That is funny !! You mentionned here: " I do track the car a lot "

I visit the racetrack of Spa (Belgium F1 Grand Prix circuit) often and what do 430 Challenge and Scuderia throw off their cars ???

YES: the CCRM brakes ! :)

They (allmost) went back to steel ... How abou that ?

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    If you track the car a lot you will go through the street car CCM brake pads and rotors pretty quickly. If you don't track the car at all, they will last a very very long time.

I agree with Mel above, if you are going to do more than 1-2 track days a year, better to replace the CCM with steel brakes.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Aldous- I looked that up and thought they were the same. My mistake. On the 575M, they are the same for both and my Mov'It CERs work fine with the OEM MC.

14. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The op already has ceramics so will have an appropriate master cylinder and brake booster.

15. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    Indeed, but I couldn't pass up the once-in-a-lifetime chance to correct Terry!!