Can you get collector car insurance on a 360 | FerrariChat

Can you get collector car insurance on a 360

Discussion in '360/430' started by proof69, Sep 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014
    i just plan on driving the car on weekends. I'll probably put on 3 to 5k miles a year. Is it better to go through my regular insurance company or try to get insurance through the specialty companies?

2. jimiguy

jimiguy Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2010
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Jim Shaw
    It partially depends on what else you insure with your primary insurance company. I have six cars, four properties and my blanket-liability policies with the company that insures my 360 (I have other property-policies with other companies) and, with an annual mileage limit of 7,500 miles, it costs me $60 per month to insure my 360.

Jim

3. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    It was the same cost for me between Infinity and State Farm. There were no restrictions on State Farm so that is the way I went. My BMW 850 and 65 Cobra replica are with Infinity for less than $400/year each, but both have mileage and drive to work restrictions.

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

+ 1 with State Farm , I just got insurance with them on 3 cars including my 430 spider with no restrictions . I think the 430 was around 1 k per year . I was with USAA paying them 2500 per year . Hope this info helps . Good luck .

5. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

You will very likely save if you have a collector car policy as opposed to a normal policy for your Ferrari 360. Agreeing to a mileage restriction or non-commuter car use will get the rate quite a bit lower. First see if your regular car insurance company has a collector car policy division before switching to a new carrier.

6. Joegnsx

Joegnsx Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 1, 2012
    Valrico, FL & Franklin, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Gliksman
    I moved 430 to collector car ins. From Allstate--saving $1k/yr

7. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    You know...I would just pay the $500 DMV uninsured fee and not get insurance at all.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Nice.

Better yet, "Borrow" some plates and drive it around for a few weeks and then repeat. No registration fees, no insurance, just driving pleasure.

9. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Are you guys serious?

10. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Not sure if the first guy was serious, but the second guy was not.

If you self-insure, the issue you have to worry about is not the cost of replacing your car if you wreck it. It's the liability you expose yourself to if you hit someone else. That's why liability insurance is mandatory most places and the only people that don't have it are broke or illegals, because they can't be sued for anything. If you can afford to self-insure your Ferrari because you can afford to replace it, then folks will know you can afford to pay through the nose in court if you hit them.

11. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

Thanks for explaining that to me. I was a bit confused.

12. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Heck no. :) Though plate theft was an issue here. Only way I'd self insure is if I did it under a corporate entity.

When I looked hagerty wanted 3 or more cars. Allstate does mine, less than my mini.

13. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I am with Allstate and pay around $550 a year for full liability. As my 99 360 has almost bottomed out on depreciation if I ever have to claim I'm fairly sure I can get full value. Also NC has a depreciated value allowance whereby if your car is damaged you can claim the depreciated value as well as the repair cost. I did check Hagertys but they wanted about $1500 a year.
    Alan

14. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    What US State or Country do you live in that permits a registered owner to go naked with respect to auto insurance ? In my "home" State (NY State) there are mandatory minimum insurance requirements, including minimum liability, property damage and PIP/NF benefits. If you fail to adhere to same you are committing a crime. The crime could be a felony depending on whether you cause serious bodily injury to another person with your uninsured motor vehicle. Be guided accordingly.

15. schefdeh5

schefdeh5 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2008
    U.S.A.
    I live in VA. You have the option to pay the $500 VA uninsured fee at the time of registration. I have insurance on all my cars... But for a car that I don't drive around much.... I don't need it.

When it comes to my money, I don't like giving it away for no reason. I understand that there are risks involved, but at the end of the day, there is a risk in everything we do. That being said, if the liability insurance is cheaper or equal to the $500 uninsured fee, then I will go with the liability insurance.

I'm not going to let my fears of crashing a car make the decision to pay someone "just in case" something goes wrong. You do the best you can to be careful and there you go.

If something does not go as planned, then you should have a back up plan. If you don't, then you plan to fail.

16. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    The most important thing is to have a policy with an agreed upon value. Usually at minimum 10k more then what you paid. The specialty companies are usually cheaper and they offer the most important aspect. Agreed upon value. Some lets call them run of the mill companies do offer agreed value coverage. If so and your happy with the premium your good to go. I don't think it's wise to have insurance on your Ferrari or other collector car that is worth some good money to not have agreed upon value. It's a must.

R

17. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    You require brain surgery. Today many people are driving around with sub par property damages coverage. So if your rear ended by someone that has $5k property damage limit your ****ed. Your giving sh*tty advise. Do what you wanna do and I hope nothing ever happens. You should really reconsider your position.

R

18. tortesq1

tortesq1 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2012
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen H. Frankel
    +1

19. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    That is why uninsured/underinsured coverage is important. In case someone with low limits (or no coverage at all) hits your car, your own policy will cover you.

20. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Condon Skelly. You will save a boat load of $$$.

21. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    shop around but make sure you look at the policy allows. When I got my 360 I went with my normal insurance (Allstate at a ton of money per year) but I drive my 360 anywhere and anytime i want. My 360 shares daily driving duties with my motorcycle and my S2000 (although my S is more my weekend car), put about 8k miles a year on my 360 (this year will be over 10k miles) and that would not have been allowed with some specialty insurance companies.

22. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    DO not go uninsured .. If you go with collector car insurance such as hagerty or grundy . You will be able to state an amount that you want insure for and that is what you will get paid. You normally must have another car to drive and probably cannot drive your car to work .. you will most likely have to keep the car in a garage stuff like that ...
    for a 360 regular insurance is probably the way to go ..

23. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    #23 vincep99, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    +1
    I have Grundy with agreed value, saved a lot of $ and also have free towing

24. eagleye49

eagleye49 Karting

Oct 5, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    First of all, please get insurance. A simple scrape along the side of my son's vintage Audi A4 after an encounter with an uninsured driver cost our insurance company over $10K to repair... here in California, as many as 25% of drivers are uninsured. If you tap one of those uninsured drivers when your F1 tranny lurches your car forward prematurely, you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about those 1-800 call-a-lawyer billboards.

For my 430, Allstate was about $4K/year for full coverage, Hagerty about $3K, but with a limit of (If I recall) of 2500 miles/year. Hagerty is an agreed-value policy company, Allstate is not. If you're not going to be driving a lot, a collector car policy is the way to go. I had a claim years ago on a collector car after a blow-out--- Hagerty was a pleasure to negotiate with. On the other hand, a mainstream company wanted to use components from a wreck to repair our daily driver after a minor incident.

25. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I was just checking prices as someone here mentioned a company that was cheaper than Haggerty and indeed it was, by about $400 per year. It also offered unlimited mileage so I asked my agent to investigate. She gave me several reasons why I should stay with Haggerty and said that Haggerty's "2500 mile per year" limit was unenforceable and that they could not deny coverage regardless of the mileage I drove. That was my only issue so I am staying with coverage I can trust..