How to remove aircon buttons and dials | FerrariChat

How to remove aircon buttons and dials

Discussion in '360/430' started by freaky1, Oct 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 freaky1, Oct 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    If u remove the 1 screw holding it the to the switches it will come apart very easy only need little bit of press (see ur pic 2 there's little plugs with LED attached to the plugs gently pry apart then to remove switches remove little cir-clips.

3. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #3 freaky1, Oct 16, 2014
    whatheheck likes this.
  4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Wow! Excellent job! Looks great!

Thanks for sharing photos.

What did you use to remove the stickies?

Dan

5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Nicely done! That Blaupunkt Toronto looks pretty good in there.

6. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Yes very nice. Great job mate. Am in deep into refurbing my switches along with few other jobs. U in need of a CS rear grill I have a spare. Good luk

Cheers

7. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Looks like new. Also curious how you refurbished these dials. Did you have to repaint the white lettering and other markings too?

8. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #8 freaky1, Oct 16, 2014
    Im about to go to sleep, i will do a writeup tomorrow to help others.

Im a keen hobbyist and build many models, so im comfortable working with plastics.

I even print my own decals, so can easily replace ones that come off.

This isnt difficult at all if you use the right products. And i have found you can do this without using some of the harsh oven cleaners and chemicals people are using.

Heres some more
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Im trying to sell and exhaust, i might be keen on the grill once the exhaust is sold.

Wont you be using the grill ?

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Again, fantastic job.

Looking forward to seeing the DIY write up.

Have a good night!

Dan

11. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I've been collecting my 360 parts for 3-4 yrs bought a CS grill couple yrs back my car came with grill so I have a spare.

12. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #12 freaky1, Oct 19, 2014
    Here is my guide to cleaning all this sticky crap and goo. Broken down into stages

General Comments

I have noticed there are 2 types of goo.

1. Black sticky goo - This comes off quiet easily, especially if it’s already
    melting off. Nearly all the parts have this type of goo.

2. Clear sticky goo - I only found this type of goo on the HVAC controls. Whilst it
    was very sticky, it hadn’t melted off like the black goo and was more challenging to
    remove.

Removing the goo is only half the job, do not stop there. To get a great looking
    finish the plastic must be painted and/or clear coated, which makes a massive
    difference to the final appearance.

The plastic parts are not the best of quality and will require some sanding, filling
    and polishing. It’s amazing how much of this is hidden by the thick layer of goo.

Parts need to be removed, they need to be painted and this will not work whilst they
    are installed in the car. There are many useful threads on this site on how to
    remove parts.

Take your time, do not take too many parts out. Working on individual items will
    allow for a better finish, be patient. The process can take a while but is
    rewarding.

Goo Removal -Items required (Pic 1)

Hand Sanitiser
    Mr Hobby Lacquer Thinner
    Swissvax Plastic Wash
    Swissvax Plastic restorer
    Roles of Paper Towel
    Q Tips
    Cotton Wipes

For the black sticky goo, I found the best removal to be hand sanitiser with paper
    towels, simply apply small amounts of sanitiser on the part, smearing it over the
    part with your finger then keep rubbing with the towel. The sanitiser will allow the
    towel to slide, once the paper is shredding fibres, it’s time to apply more
    sanitiser. This process can be mundane, best to do in front of the TV.

Keep using clean towels, and cotton swipes. In awkward and hard to get areas , apply
    sanitiser on the tip of a Q Tip and rub.

The best thing about this sanitiser is it also has moisturiser so I get to moisturise
    my hands whilst removing all the goo. Bonus !

Once the goo is removed and no more black is coming off the paper towel, it’s time
    to clean the plastic to remove paper fibres from the towels and cotton q tips.

I find the Swissvax Plastic Wash excellent for this, shake the bottle well, spray on
    a microfiber cloth and wipe down the part well, the plastic should feel clean, be
    free of any stickiness and fingerprints.

I then apply some Swissvax Plastic restorer to the part. This step isn’t required,
    however I like to nourish the plastic with this product, but this step is optional.

Plastic repair - Plastex Plastic Repair Kit

PLASTEX PLASTIC REPAIR KITS

Its highly likely that as parts are removed and cleaned, brittle tabs will break
    off, or there will be other cracks etc. I bought this Plastic repair kit and it is
    unbelievable for repairing broken tabs and other plastic pieces. I cannot recommend
    it highly enough. I purchased the black repair kit, as most parts are black. The
    instructional video shows how this works, it’s very easy to learn.

I have successfully repaired a broken aircon dial, some broken tabs on various bits
    and pieces. And I even repaired a large part of broken plastic in the centre ashtray
    that would not allow my lid to close properly. This product is a must if you’re
    going to undertake this job, broken tabs are a thing of the past !

Plastic Preparation - Items Required (Pic 2)

Tamiya 320 Grit Sand Paper
    Tamiya Rubbing sticks 320 and 150 Grit
    Tamiya Polish Fine Finish Polish Compound
    Tamiya Polish Final Finish Polish Compound
    3200-12000 Wet sanding pads
    Dremel with polishing pads (optional)

It’s very likely when the goo is removed there will be parts of the plastic that are
    not even, have scratches, other grooves and gouges that look unsightly.

If I need sand to smooth things down I will spray some water on the plastic (wet
    sanding) and gently rub with the Tamiya 320 grit sand paper. Don’t apply too much
    pressure, you don’t want to damage the plastic further or remove too much. Keep the
    part wet, and keep sanding until the desired result is reached. For difficult to
    reach places use the rubbing sticks. They are great when sanding around curves.

To polish out the plastic, I either continue wet sanding starting with the 3200 pad,
    and progressively working through the pads until I hit the 12000grit. When this is
    complete the plastic should be very smooth.

Another option that works as well is to use the Tamiya polishing compounds, these
    will work with Q tips or a micro fibre cloth. For larger pieces I will use the
    Dremel to save me time.

When the part is nice and smooth, and free from scratches and other defects, I use
    the Swissvax Plastic wash to give the part a thorough clean. Spray this stuff on
    directly or onto a microfiber towel, it’s important to really wash away all the dust
    and polishing compound to prepare for painting.

Painting - Items Required (Pic 3)

Tamiya Masking tape
    Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black X-18
    Tamiya X20a Acrylic Thinner

Tamiya Gloss X-22
    Tamiya Flat Base X-21
    or
    Tamiya Semi Gloss X-35

Before Painting make sure the part is clean, I can’t stress this enough. Swissvax
    Plastic Wash is your friend.

As part of my hobby building, I airbrush (Pic 4) a fair bit. For those not familiar with
    this, you can buy the spray can equivalents if that helps

There will be times you will need to mask items before painting, I can’t go past
    Tamiya masking tape, this product is expensive but is well worth the cost. The tape
    is not too sticky so will not cause damage, it removes easily without leaving any
    residue. It stays on ! unlike cheaper tapes that start to fall off, and lastly the
    tape is flexible so you can shape it using toothpicks around curves etc.

In terms of colour, for me, I like the Tamiya X-18 Semi-gloss Black. A full gloss is
    way to shiny, a full flat is far too rough and easily scratched. This XF-18 is just
    prefect, in colour, texture and reflection.

If you’re going to airbrush this, Tamiya paints need to be heavily thinned to flow
    freely, XF-18 is a very easy colour to work with, it’s very forgiving. I use a ratio
    of 50% Paint : 50-60% Thinner. If the weather is warm ill add that extra amount of
    thinner which has a retarding agent to stop the paint drying too quickly and
    clogging up the airbrush. Every airbrush and compressor combo is different. I spray
    using a .3mm needle and about 20-25 PSI.

If none of the above paragraph makes sense, just buy the Tamiya Black in spray can
    form. Shake well and spray in a dust free area.

I should point out the plastic bits are very porous, when the paint is applied via
    airbrush, a quick burst of air dries the paint straight away, you can’t over spray
    these parts. The Tamiya paint is very thin and the plastic seems to absorb it. They
    are very easy to paint, and there is no need to wait hours or days for this type of
    paint to dry.

Once the black is finished, I immediately move onto the clear coat. You don’t need a
    clear coat, however I like that extra layer of clear protection on the part.

I use Tamiya clear and just add my own amount of flat base to create a semi-gloss.
    If you’re not comfortable with this approach, just use the Tamiya Semi-Gloss.
    Prepare and spray this one as per the steps above.

COMING IN THE NEXT INSTALMENT - HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN DECALS AND REAPPLY THEM.

Stay Tuned..

whatheheck likes this.
  13. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Wow!!!!! Amazing talent and patience you have.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wow, that's a big job! Think I'll be paying someone else to fix my controls if/when they go sticky. ;)

15. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    all depends on what you would be content with.

Just removing the sticky stuff, or going that little bit extra for a nicer finish.

16. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Great write up Paul. I know of a 355 that will need your assistance one day : )

17. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1 wow great write up, nice one, yet another job to add to my endless list thxs ;)

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Sounds like alot of work!! lol

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Yes it does. Speaking of that, is the price list I got a few years ago still good? If not can you email me another one. I have several parts that I need to send.

20. freaky1

freaky1 Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul

Not at all. I use quite afew items, but it doesnt take long at all.

Then again im an experienced modeller, and working with plastics is my thing.

21. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Good on ya

22. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nice work Paul. The parts look great. Great detail in the write up.

23. _TS

_TS Rookie

Jan 20, 2019
    Germany
    Just reviving this old thread. I was curious whether the 360/F430 aircon controls in the center console as pictured above would be lit by ancient lightbulbs or by LEDs already?

I took the upper part of the console off in order to have the window switches reworked. Just wanted to know if it is worth to remove the lower part as well to replace with LED aftermarket sockets (if applicable). I would like to prevent for broken lightbulbs in the future. However, the less the carbon fiber panels are touched, the better in my opinion. That’s why I’m asking.

Hard to tell from the pictures above. I was able to feel some round holes in the back of the case that have a similar shape as the slots for these plastic lightbulb sockets that other vehicles have screwed in with a quarter of a turn or so.

Thanks,
    TS