Coupe or Convertible | FerrariChat

Coupe or Convertible

Discussion in '360/430' started by Rbwiii, Oct 14, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I understand this is all preference, any pros or cons regarding either. Anybody with a convertible wish they got a coupe or vise versa. Never had a convertible before, want one, but think the coupes are just as nice.

Thanks

Dazzy63 likes this.
  2. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #2 Ron328, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    I've always wanted a 360 coupe from the start and that's what I got. Spiders are nice but I don't care for the soft top (one less problem to have in the future).

3. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    I thought long and hard about this question a year ago. And flipped back and forth a few times. In the end I decided to go with a coupe because I decided the top would often be up and I didn't like the look of the convertible with the top up. Plus I have a bad prior experience with convertible tops that have plastic rear windows. The visibility can be bad.

But I live in northern CA and its quite a bit less nice for a convertible here. In places like southern CA you might drive around most of the time with the top down. If you think that's you, I'd say go for it. My friend lives in SoCal and has a convertible Maserati and he rarely puts the top up, year around.

Thinking about the time down vs. up is the best test. Think hard and realistically about it. We have a 12 month driving season in CA, which is great. How much day vs. night, with girl who doesn't want her hair to get windblown, how much on freeway vs. not, etc. If its 75% down, averaged over the whole year, get the convertible and don't look back.

If its 50/50 I'd say that's a tough call but I'd probably go with the coupe.

In my case I concluded I'd really only have the top down 25% of the time because its usually either too cold or too hot and sunny in northern CA where I live.

Sometimes I regret my decision, but only on those perfect days when I wish I could take the top down. :)

4. fabo

fabo Formula Junior

Dec 14, 2013
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Fabo
    Coupe
    Looks better

5. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    Well said, I live Bakersfield which is considered some what SoCal, so I will figure out how I would use the car.

Thanks

6. Peter Costa del Sol

Nov 27, 2013
    Estepona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #6 Peter Costa del Sol, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    After been driving in the northen of europe where the weather is not so warm during most of the year, I bought a 430 Spider when we moved to Spain. It is top down every day we drive. I think it is the feeling of the wind, freedom and nice looking with the top down. This is something you just can experience in a cab. Buy with your heart!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. wlracing

wlracing Karting

Dec 14, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    wally
    I bought a coupe after a year replaced with a convertible no regrets , best of both it is coupe when top is up .You can drive with top down at speed hold conversation without any buffeting.
    A dark cold night with heating on and top down is a great drive .

8. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Can't go wrong with the Vert....It offers the best of both worlds, the coupe doesn't.

9. spourreza

spourreza Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2013
    Mount Olive Twp, NJ
    Full Name:
    S.Pourreza
    Convert. I would never go back. Top up or down, looks better than coup. Adds an additional flavor of sportiness

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #10 whatheheck, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    All my cars used to be coupe's. Once I tried convertibles there was no going back...

Put the top up and its a coupe. Nice sunny days put the top down and entire world opens up to you as you drive enjoying the beautiful weather and outdoors.

My vote is a Spider.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I am not a convertible type, but I am glad I bought my spider over a coupe, the few times I do lower the top..the car looks so good, looks lower...its like having 2 cars in one..

12. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Spider all day long.... I live in Tampa, FL so we have our share of hot/muggy top up days... ALL my cars are convertible (R8, 360, Q60, Wrangler).

My only complaint about the spider is the plastic window....

13. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    A spider with the top up is not a coupe. It has no sexy sloping roof line.
    Coupe looks way better. Real sports cars are coupes.

14. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

It's a small matter of "stiffness"

Coupes will always drive better than convertibles, don't leak (generally) and are lighter too so a touch quicker and lighter on their feet.

Just an opinion.

15. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    so I guess a 458 spider is not a sportscar either?

16. cjpatel

cjpatel Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    NYC
    This is my first Vert that I've owned. I love it. The main reason was the noise effect in the cabin with the top down. Simply amazing.

17. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Spider. So what if the roof is up for some of your drives? When it's folded down and away, it's an experience out of this world (the sound and other sensations are awe inspiring).

Sure, the top will probably need a little more TLC, but IMO it's worth it.

18. TheGeeMan

TheGeeMan Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Montreal , Canada
    Full Name:
    Eddy
    Go for coupe, less problems to deal with like hydraulic pumps, fading rear window, and possible leaking issues or do like I did 360 coupe and a 308 GTSi both of both worlds.

cheers

19. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Nothing beats the look of a 360/430 with the top down... Nothing beats the experience of driving one with the top down, the sound and feel is out of this world.

I like the coupe, but prefer a spider for the reasons stated above.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The ONLY way I'm getting a convertible is with a hard top convertible like the 458 spider. After my boxster, I'm done with soft top convertibles.

coupe all the way. IMHO

21. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    ...BUT...
    With this particular model, you lose the glass window over the engine compartment. Which kinda sucks, no???

22. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    I've had two coupes (360 and 430) and now have a Spider (16M) and I like the spider way better. I'll agree the coupe's lines are more flowing, but nothing compares to dropping the top and blasting through the hills.

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I've gone the other way. I used to have many convertibles. Had a 430 spider. It was a great car BUT- the roads where I live are not that smooth and I've discovered Ferrari's V8 spiders (even the 458) exhibit quite a bit of cowel shake. I didn't realize how much this bothered me until one day I drove a 430 coupe. From that moment on I've prized the rigidity of the coupes. So this really will depend on you. Since you live in SoCal, you probably won't have the bumpy road type issues we have here.

24. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Must admit that I love the hard top convertibles. Loved the SL55, wife loves her Q60... Unfortunately not an option for the beautiful 360... I guess I will just learn to live with a soft top with a plastic window... :)

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    True. It becomes more 355-like. A trait that I'm not personally fond of. :)

I might do it if I had an extra spot(s) in my garage that I could only use it as a fair weather car. ONLY on sunny days with 0% chance of rain..