Testing Coolant | FerrariChat

Testing Coolant

Discussion in '360/430' started by English Rebel, Oct 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I just read a good way to check your coolant. Take a multi meter and set it on VDC. Put the ground probe on a good ground point and put the positive probe in the coolant. If the reading is below 0.15 VDC then your coolant is good and but if it's above 0.3VDC then the electrolysis is high meaning the corrosion inhibitors have depleted.
    I just checked mine that was replaced less than a month ago with premix and the reading was 0.06 VDC
    Alan

2. Rbwiii

Rbwiii Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    BW
    I have heard that also

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Interesting. Never heard of that before.

Thanks for sharing info Alan.

Dan

4. hangarsixco

hangarsixco Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Alan,

Great post! But you want to make sure you test this properly. Get your engine up to operating temp after it's been sitting for the night. Find a clean ground point. Insert your positive lead into the coolant. You want a reading of below .4 VDC make sure you rev the engine to 1800-2000 RPM I've usually had close readings when the engine was cold as when it's hot but this is the way I was taught so I tend to just run the engine to op temp.

If it's above .4VDC the coolant additives are waisted and it's time for a flush. I flush mine every year no matter what my VDC reading is.

Oh and set your meter to 20VDC

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the additional info Chris.

I just got all my fluids flushed and planning on going with Ferrari recommended maintenance intervals from here on but this is great info.

Dan