Pre-door opening window drop issue | FerrariChat

Pre-door opening window drop issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by mr_bock, Oct 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    #1 mr_bock, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    I did the search and nothing turned up.

2001 360 Coupe
    Not sure how common this is, but I noticed that my drivers side window does not partial open when the door latch is pulled. The window then drops down, most of the time after this is after I opened the door. Passenger side glass drops down right when the latch is pulled.

Does anyone encountered this and have a fix or where/what to look at to test and replace?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What a great site and people

2. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You may simply be doing this too fast. Try "blipping" the handle, waiting a bit for the window to jump out of the way, then pulling on the handle all the way to open the door.

3. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    I would assume it's a micro-switch, most likely slightly out of adjustment.. but that's a total guess.

4. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    SoftwareDrone,

I just tried 'blipping' the handle, but nothing happened. Moving the latch further, the door pops open with the window still up. Then it drops.

GaryR,

The micro-switch or sensor sound more likely. I will have to pull up the parts list and/or wiring diagram to see what it is and where it is located. Hopefully it is just an adjustment.

Thanks!!!

5. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I seem to remember having similar issues in an F430, and definitely had them on my Murci.
    Try pressing the window down button, then, when it is all the way down, press and hold the down button for a few seconds. Then move window up, and press and hold up button for a few extra seconds. Do this two or three times and see if it resolves the issue.
    This retrains the window where the limits are -- doesn't really make much sense for the auto-drop, but fixed it anyway on mine...

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Microswitch in the door handle. Does the window drop from the other handle on the door? If yes then it could be switch in the striker plate. Probably switch in the handle..

7. hangarsixco

hangarsixco Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Had this happen to me, checked all the micro switches and all were fine. Turned out to be a faulty window control module. Ordered a used one to test it out and it fixed my issue.

This may be the same issue you are having. When I opened up my drivers door both windows would open partially. Occasionally my windows would randomly drop when I was driving.

Hope this helps.

Chris.

RANDY6005 likes this.
  8. F456 V12

F456 V12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Coto de Caza
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What is the status of your battery? Sometimes the cars get confused if the battery is low. Might check that and/or do a reset - main battery on/off/on switch in the boot.

MB

9. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    This is more than likely going to fix it. I found that on my XK8 if the battery got a little low then the windows would not drop properly. Doing the relearn process fixed it.
    Alan

10. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #10 Black360, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Were you looking for something like this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RANDY6005 likes this.
  11. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Thanks Guys!!!!!

The car is on a Battery Tender all the time, battery is quite new. I will try the 're-learning' method first as it is the least invasive. If that does not work, then I will pull the door card off and check the micro switch(s) and go from there.

Thanks again!!!!

12. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths
    I have a similar problem to you with maybe 1 out of 5 times I come to the car when it's been stood for a week the window on the drivers side doesn't drop. I climb in and touch the window button and it drops as it should have and stops. It then operates as normal.

I've figured it's a batter issue as it's only when the car is stood and I don't have a battery conditioner always hooked up as I'm a little worried about leaving power on all the time in an unattended garage.

I think it could also be the microswitch as mine had a replacement inner lock mechanism when I bought it and I suppose it might need adjustment. I should try the passenger side next time it does it as that would likely rule out the ECU.

Lee

13. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I tried the suggestion to have the window re-learn it's motion limits, but that did not work for me. Sitting in the drivers seat, door closed, window full up, I lifted the inside latch lever. The window did not move. Only after the door popped did the window drop to the pre-open position. The passenger side, the window works as it should, both from the outside and inside. I assume that the passenger side gets way less use, thus still works as it should.

I am not sure of the interaction of the inside/outside latches/micro switches and how they control the window. Seems that there is more going on than just a switch position adjustment. The door closes and locks fine. Do both latches (inside/outside) pull the same switch?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!!!!!

14. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Just to clarify: The driver's side window does not drop, regardless of whether you pull the outside or inside handle. Correct?

15. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Correct.

Not sure what I did or did not do, but I went to the car to check CEL code (separate issue) and found that the latch/window drop now works??? Will have monitor the situation and see how long this lasts.

I have no clue. While trying to get the OBDII reader to work, I had to turn the key on/off several time (did not start engine). I pulled the inside latch and just as it should, the window dropped. After getting out, I tried the outside latch and wow, the window dropped down before the door popped open. I tried this several times and it worked each time.

These modern cars have a mind of their own!!!!!

16. Black360

Black360 Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2010
    FL
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I wrote up what I believe are the wiring traces that control the window drop. If anyone wants to see them, I'll post them.

17. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Could have been not a faulty switch but a sticking switch..

18. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Well, I got may delivery from Ricambi today that had a new micro switch assembly for the outside door latch. Got it installed and found that did not fix the problem. By the way, there is no adjustment of the micro switch to the lever arm. A plastic shim with locating pins positions the switch and a metal spring clip holds it on.

While sitting in the car and lifting the inside latch lever, the window does not drop. The passenger side works fine, inside and out. I am thinking that the micro switch on the inside latch lever may be the problem as seem to work together. I will see if I can get some voltage/continuity info on this. The last thing I want to do is buy a window control module (used).

19. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    The action of the window and door locks etc is controlled by an ECU. You may want to try unplugging it and waiting a while then plug it back in to see if it resets itself. IIRC someone else tried this successfully.
    Alan

20. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I will try this. Where is this ECU located. I assume it is not the two engine ECU's.

Thanks!!!

21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Under the dashboard on drivers side. Big box in the middle of the 3..

FYI if you can.. download the 360 spider wiring diagrams on ferraridatabase.com is really handy to have. Location is on L4.07... just a really handy document to have. :)

22. hangarsixco

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #22 hangarsixco, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    Why is a used control module a problem for you? I purchased a used one; came from a 430 and worked just fine. been in the car for over a year with no issues. I went through the same issue as you. I checked every connection, micro switch etc. with no luck. Control module fixed my issue. Im not worried about resale as i do not plan on selling it. Sometimes used Fcar parts are not a concern of mine. If it's a vital part then a new part would be used.

23. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    vrsurgeon,

Thanks for the location info!!!!

hangarsixco,

I don't have a problem buying used parts, I just hope not to spend the money and the hassle sourcing it. Where did you get yours and how much $$?

Thanks!!!

24. hangarsixco

Oct 10, 2010
    S. California
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I get it for sure, that is why I purchased a used module. After checking everything else in the system this was the last thing I could try.

I purchased it from Exotic Auto Recycling. He gave me a great price and it arrived quickly.

It may or may not be your issue, but if every micro switch is working correctly and your connections are clean, your next item to check is the module. However I do not know any way of independently checking the module without swapping it out.

As crazy as it sounds if you have a friend who has a 360 or 430 you can try swapping them out. It's easy to access and remove you just need to be a little flexible to get under the drivers side dash.

Good luck.

Chris.

25. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    Thanks for the info and to know that it's not too hard to remove.
    Good info!!!!!!