Snapped Exhaust Bolt | FerrariChat

Snapped Exhaust Bolt

Discussion in '360/430' started by Labman, Oct 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Recently brought my fcar in for service and noticed one of the bolts snapped off on side of muffler. Apparently my exhaust bracket was broken and was replaced. Not sure if they weakened it when removing or over tightened when reinstalling. Not even sure if I got it back like this or it snapped off while driving. Easy to repair?

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    You should be able to drill out the stud and remove it. I have a bolt and copper nut that will fit unless you want to keep it stock looking and have another stud installed. I replaced my entire exhaust system so I have some extra pieces and may be able to get you the correct stud from my old exit pipes. I'll have to see if I can get it removed without damaging the threads.

3. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Great! If you can get the correct stud from your old exhaust, I would really appreciate it. Seems like I should be able to drill it out pretty easily.

4. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I just looked at the studs and they are welded in on my pipes. I'm not sure I could safely grind off the weld without compromising the stud. I'll check with my friend across the street as he has more tools than you could imagine and see if he has any ideas. If I can get it removed, I'll certainly send it your way along with a nut and washer if I have them.

5. Tally Ho

Tally Ho Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2007
    Niceville, FL
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Steve - I just talked to my friend and showed him your dilemma. As we looked at the stud, once the weld is ground down there will be no head left to keep it in place. My advice is to grind off the weld and pop out the old stud and replace it with a bolt and nut with a lock washer. I have the correct bolt and nut assembly. It would probably take 2-3 days to get from FL to NY. If you buy one the thread length is 40mm and the diameter is 8m. Get grade 5 or better, preferably grade 8. You are most likely going to need to drop the exhaust on that side to get to everything. That means the diffuser will need to come off. I don't know if you do your own work or not. It's not hard just time consuming. It helps to have a partner just because the diffuser is so big and clumsy to navigate. Let me know if you need the hardware. If you do take off the pipe and need a gasket, I have a new one of those as well.

6. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Thanks Bill. It's probably more than I can handle. I think I will let my shop do it next time it's in.
    I was just thinking of just drilling through the broken one and inserting a new bolt and nut. From the top it will probably look the same but not from the bottom.

7. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    #7 scudF1, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  8. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Thanks Billy. I just emailed the service manager at FoLI and sent him the photo. They changed both exhaust brackets so it must have snapped off when they were removing it or tightening it. Either way I think it's their responsibility. I'm letting them handle it.

9. redduke

redduke Karting

Apr 19, 2011
    Silverstone - UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I had the same problem. I snapped 2 studds when I removed the exhaust muffler.

I needed to use tungsten carbide drill bits to drill through the old studs as they're tough little !#%ers. I replaced with stainless hex bolts and self locking nuts. Don't use nylock nuts as they'll melt!

10. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

Thanks! Now that I checked it out, it's a stud from the bracket in the diagram (part #41). So really all that I need to do is remove a few bolts, remove the bracket containing the snapped bolt and replace it with a new one. That's the easiest, but costly at $238. Or I can just drill out the stud like you did and call it a day. I emailed the dealer to see what they will do. It happened while they were working on the car so they should make good. We shall see.

11. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Update....I decided to buy a brand new bracket from Ricambi as that seemed to be the easiest solution. The remaining nut would not budge though. So I asked my friend up4speed (Chris) for a helping hand with his amazing selection of air tools. One pull of the trigger and off it came. Replacing the bracket was a simple task after that. Problem solved.

[​IMG]

12. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Chris, good to hear that you fixed those nuts. Sometimes these things can drive you nuts:)

13. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    The only nuts on my car is the one behind the wheel :D