airbags? | FerrariChat

airbags?

Discussion in '360/430' started by FerRrari, Oct 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerRrari

FerRrari Formula 3

Jan 11, 2009
    WA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    So the manual says to replace the airbags after 10 years. I haven't checked with the dealer, but I was wondering if you guys had done it or not.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Changed to 15 years with a tech bulletin. Likely to be extended again.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    No-one has for any maker/car - time has now shown the explosives don't degrade

4. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Explosives are not always the main concern. The bags themselves can also degrade and as they must take inflation at over 200mph and the take the impact of your body the main concern is the structural integrity of the bag. Ambient temperature, air pollution and moisture are the three biggest items that influence the airbag integrity. I also suspect that as the air bag manufacturers evaluate bags they inspect it may be extended as many of the bags on the shelf in inventory are likely nearly as old as the units in the cars or simply not available for limited production runs such as Ferrari

5. harlow

harlow Rookie

Jun 23, 2014
    Calgary,Alberta.
    Full Name:
    Harlow Allen
    If we had to replace air bags every 10 years certainly 50% of all manufacturers cars would be in wreckers yards. Cost would be prohibitive.