08 Scud going to neutral while trying to shift | FerrariChat

08 Scud going to neutral while trying to shift

Discussion in '360/430' started by schunmd, Oct 18, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schunmd

schunmd Karting

Oct 18, 2010
    Peninsula, CA
    For last two days, I noticed gear going to neutral as I try to upshift or downshift. When I pull the paddle again, it shifts properly again. This happened 3-4 times; other times, it drives & shifts perfectly. My clutch read was 43% remaining a year ago (2,000 mi ago).

Could it be an actuator, f1 sensor/pump, or clutch wearing out? If it's an actuator, what are your thoughts on rebuilt/used actuator? Can actuator just be adjusted rather than replaced? I guess that depends on what is wrong with it...

Thanks for your input.

2. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Probably air in the system, hopefully...

3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    After all these threads about failed actuators, I am also curious if these can be properly rebuild. I heard there is a company in Turkey, that can do the job. Does anyone have an experiense with them?

4. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    The scud actuator uses poppet valves instead of the old type cylinders of the 430 and is far less prone to issues. Unfortunately many things, including clutch wear, could cause your issue. It needs proper diagnosis....

5. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    Gte engineering offer a rebuild they are based in florida. Just had a quote of them for 2600usd for the 360. I think its the the same guy in the gt servis youtube videos.

I spoke to my guys here and they rebuilt one themselves for a gallardo and ended up having to replace it with a new one. They recommended changing some of the cheaper parts such as the pump etc. before changing the actuator. Checking on the internet there some available all over europe. Dont know whether they are the same ones as the one in the scuderia.

GTE ENGINEERING do however offer a 1 year warranty.

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Serkan moved from Turkey to Florida and is now at GTE. Very reliable.

Take your F430 to somebody with an SD3 and have a proper diagnosis done. Perhaps have the fluid changed and the system bled to see if that cures the problem. Then the tech will do an F1 system self test that should isolate most problems.

7. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    I think its just air in the system... low mileage? My dealer changed the oil in mine and now its working fine, as far as I know of... Its a common problem on low mileage scuds

8. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    It's a sealed system. The only way air can get in is if the system is compromised. Common causes of this are loose actuator drain screws or the bleed block. It's very common to find air getting drawn into the system but oil not leaking out at either location.9