Jump start | FerrariChat

Jump start

Discussion in '360/430' started by margarita, Oct 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Hello guy i have 99 360' 8 months that i dont started ,can anyone show me some pics of the engine bay to where i can put the cables and jump start the car , thank you

2. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Don't jump start it.. Just take the battery out and charge it. Better yet, if its been four years, replace the battery. Two screws panel bottom of passenger feet, remove battery.

You *could* screw up the gauge cluster electronics with voltage surge etc...

3. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Thank you , what battery should i get

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Optima or Interstate.. There are a few threads on it and its personal preference. I've used an interstate mtp-91 with a vent, absorbed glass mat is probably better. Search for 360 battery will get you a thread

5. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Thank you very much

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    +1 to what Curt said.

Dan

7. big_guy

big_guy F1 Rookie

Sep 9, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
  8. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Odyssey 34R-PC1500T

This is probably the most robust AGM battery for sale today. It is generally considered to be a better battery than the Optima.

Don't use a conventional lead acid battery as they constantly vent. Not even with the vent tube. This is not what Ferrari intended and not a great idea when the battery is inside the cabin. This eliminates the Interstate.

Do not use an undersized battery. Use something that meets or exceeds the OEM CCA and capacity.

Remember that the Ferrari is wired with reversed terminals, ie 34R not 34. This limits the available options since not all manufacturers offer both.

9. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    When you remove the battery make sure you take off the ground cable first. That way if you accidentally touch the body with your wrench while removing the positive terminal you will not get an arc and possibly damage something or worse still set the car on fire. When installing the new battery put the positive cable on first.
    Alan

10. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    #10 English Rebel, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dan
    I wonder why the owners manual states this and that a vent tube is installed at the factory.
    Alan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    The oem battery is an AGM which is sealed under normal operation but does still have an emergency pressure relief valve. This is to keep it from exploding during over heating such as from overcharging. (Don't over charge them!)
    Ferrari attached a vent tube to the emergency pressure relief valve to keep the acid from destroying the interior cabin or causing a hazard to the passengers. Good solid belt and suspenders engineering.

The warning you attached is true with all these liquid acid batteries. Nasty stuff inside. Do not drink.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I would add that the company that designed the Optima didn't find that the performance was what the wanted/needed. It was too difficult to control & maintain the plate spacing when they rolled the cells. That resulted in susceptibility to cell shorts in rough use and a tenancy to sulfate and short inside the cell during charging (among other issues). SO, they designed the Odyssey as the replacement. They sold the Optima design to another company who is making it today.

Don't get me wrong, the Optima is still a good battery but the Odyssey is better.

13. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
  14. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Nice!

I may order one this week. Still trying to find out when the battery on my new (to me) 430 was last changed. It's only $250 but I still don't want to waste it if Ferrari just changed it 9 months ago.

I've read that these AGM batteries hold their initial charge in storage for years. So maybe it would be best to order the replacement now and have it on hand for when I decide to swap it in, whether it be in a week, a month, or two years.

If I had a spare battery on the shelf at home, I could always get a ride home if the 430 became disabled due to battery failure. I could do a swap in-place rather than having to get the car towed because you can't abandon a Ferrari on the side of the road or in a parking lot while waiting for a new battery to be shipped to you.

Probably worth having one of these in-stock in the garage once the installed battery is 2 years old.

15. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    To the OP - Have a CTek battery tender plug hard wired in so you can keep the battery at 100% once it's in the car after you put the new battery in...

16. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    I bought my Odyssey locally for $250 (no shipping costs) from a preferred vendor off the Odyssey website. This way if i have a problem with the battery i don't have to pay shipping for a return. Worth the few extra bucks for that alone.
    As a few others recommended any different thread you need new jay hooks. I bought 8" and it up cutting off about half of an inch for a perfect fit.

17. Jeff Pintler

Jeff Pintler Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2005
    Richland
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pintler
    #17 Jeff Pintler, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The best advice is to remove the battery, test it, replace/charge it. If that is not possible:
    There is a panel behind the driver seat next to the floor, use a stubby phillips. There are large terminals, one behind a plastic cover with a plus on lid and the negative post is screwed onto the body nearby. Do your very best to not create sparks ie clamp once and don't re-adjust the clamp. Let the running vehicle charge the battery for 10-15 min and then try to start the Ferrari and remove the cables as soon as possible. Be CAREFUL!
    Be Careful. FWIW.

Jeff Pintler
    89 348tb, 86tr, 99 360 3-pedal, 05 S-160 Bobcat