SCUD NOISE ON START UP | FerrariChat

SCUD NOISE ON START UP

Discussion in '360/430' started by LARRYH, Oct 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have a 2009 scud with about 7000 miles on it I noticed recently that when I start the car up (after sitting ie cool engine) I get a distinct ticking that sounds exactly like a exhaust leak it goes away after the car runs for a minute or less . then it does not come back till the car sits for an hour or more. I notice mostly when I start the car in my garage ..
    I plan to take it to the dealer (about 200 miles away ) soon. I wanted to see if any one else has had similar issues and any advice?? The car runs perfect the entire time with no warning lights or roughness

2. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Sounds like an exhaust leak.
    Alan

3. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    It might also be valve noise as a sign that the car needs the oil replaced.

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    While it has been about a year since the oil change it has probably only been 1000 miles or so I am not concerned about it being caused by oil.. what I am mostly concerned about is that I take it to the dealer do the service and have them tell me it is normal when I really do not think it is.. I have heard so much about 430s having header issues but have been advised by the dealer that Scuds do not have the same problem..
    ANYONE have any similar issues with a scud ..
    I am concerned that it could very remote possibility have a head gasket issue which could be very serious although it is not quite loud enough to be a head gasket..
    with that consideration how do I rule that out ?? maybe a compression check?? or leakdown??
    any advice ??
    anyone with similar issue??

5. Quilty

Quilty Karting

Mar 1, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Christian
    My Scuderia has never had a ticking noise, but my Maserati Coupe GT did which has a similar engine block, and we traced it down to an oil issue. Since it's been a year (which is the max you should ever go on oil with a Scuderia), I would try changing the oil first. Just my $.02. It's also the cheapest possibility.

6. jrohlf

jrohlf Rookie

Mar 16, 2013
    Tahoe
    My 08 has the same noise and just had its annual done at Silicon Valley Ferrari. Their response:

"Sputtering sound is from secondary air valve system. Removed under tray and diffuser. Inspected exhaust header and no fault found. Noise is normal for Scuderia."

They also made sure to let me know that if the headers were at fault they would be replaced under the 7 year emissions warranty.

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    This is actually becoming quite common in the Scud/16M, we have seen 7 or 8 over the last 2 yrs, the manifolds warp often to the point of breaking the outer studs (cylinders 1 and 4 or 5 and 8) You are left with two options, replacement or machining and reinstallation. They are not covered under the 8yr/80k mile emissions warranty as there are no pre catalysts in them.
    We have had very good luck resurfacing and reinstallation without a repeat failure yet over the last 2 yrs but it is obviously a wait and see for long term success.

8. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    You have seen head studs fail on 7-8 Scuderia engines ?

9. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Exhaust manifold studs. Sorry if I was not clear. It has almost always been the furthest forward or furthest rearward stud. The stud is simply overworked by the warping of the manifold.

10. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I had this exact problem on my 16M, broken header stud! No explanation of why or how but car was repaired under warranty. I now have Capristo headers.

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Thank you that is exactly the type of thing I was looking for I suspected it could be a exhaust manifold so I will have the dealer look it over when I go there .. just out of curiosity is there a milage level where this has happened or is it just age related my car has about 7000 miles and has never been tracked....

12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    do you still have the replaced new factory headers?? or did you just by the capristo instead.. If you have the new replaced factory headers I might be interested in buying them?? If they will not cover them under warranty ..

13. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I don't think it's a mileage issue or an age issue. I believe it's an issue that happens sporadically. My friend owns a 2008 scud with over 14,000 miles on it and without that problem.

14. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    The headers were fine - not damaged at all, they were refitted under warranty with a new set of studs and I then subsequently put the Capristo's on. I have the OEM headers but I'm keeping them with the car.

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL!

The scud makes some pretty interesting noises on startup/warm-up.

Sounds like you have two options - attempt to locate potential leak yourself, or pay someone else to do it...

: )

Checking from the cats-back is pretty easy - spray with soapy water or "special" exhaust leak stuff...look for bubbles.

Headers will be more difficult because you will have to raise the car, pull the rear wheels, and go in through the fenders.

What about a posting a recording?

Good luck!

16. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have a new car on order and it is due in in the next couple of weeks I plan to drive the scud to the dealer (200miles) and drive my new Fcar back ... I will have the dealer check the studs ... I am convinced it is an exhaust leak now interestingly it stop within a minute or less after start up .. so it must be pretty minor leak... but I think it is the start of a problem I want fixed.. .. (not selling the scud) ... in the mean time I will only drive the scud a little...

17. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I finally got the car to the dealer for the annual service and to find the exhaust leak that I was experiencing and sure enough it was a broken exhaust manifold stud .. for info the stud had to be drilled out exhaust gasket replaced and stud replaced apparently this happens occasionally on SCUDs.. and it is not covered by the power warranty if it had been the manifold it would have been covered .. go figure...
    anyway just wanted to finish the thread....another problem correctly diagnosed on fchat...

18. FerrariFL

FerrariFL Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2012
    How much was the repair cost?

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the update - will have to inspect myself!

20. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    lets see one gasket and one stud ==$1400 at dealer

21. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    It was the manifold. It broke the stud. Should have been covered. As has been said the manifolds warp causing stress on the stud which broke. If the manifold was not machined flat it will surely happen again.

22. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    For sure manifold issue. Maybe not as clear as say a crack in the manifold itself but still.