Update on my 360 Fire in Vegas. | FerrariChat

Update on my 360 Fire in Vegas.

Discussion in '360/430' started by Utah360Spider, Oct 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    #1 Utah360Spider, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    To those of you who were interested in how things worked out. The car was far too damaged to know what caused it (Picture of remains below). My mechanic thinks it must have been a ruptured fuel line. I was insured through Progressive. They were great to work with. I would highly recommend them. Whole experience was very scary, I definitely miss the car a lot. Going to save for a couple years and get a 458 Spider when the prices start coming down a bit. Thanks again for all the well wishes and wonderful advice I received while having the car.

Breck
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That'll buff out.

3. ncjetskier

ncjetskier Formula 3

Jul 7, 2012
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A little Bondo and good to go.

Breck, can you go into detail how Progressive came to a value on the car? It may help somebody here in the future if / when a car gets totaled. Thanks.

4. daveyator

daveyator Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2014
    Yucaipa, CA
    Full Name:
    Dave B

That's funny stuff but sorry to see what happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    They hired a professional appraiser to value the car. I had a stated value policy. Which means we agreed on a value when I got the car and what the policy stated was current value of car or stated value. Current value of the car appraised higher then stated value so I got what I insured the car for. I insured the car for what I paid for it, kind of a mistake because the car was worth between 12 & 15 more then what I paid. I'm just glad it all worked out and that I got my money back out of it.

6. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    I wish I could find the humor in it...

7. andy308

andy308 Formula 3

Jan 16, 2005
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Andy
    That used to be car! WOW! Glad you made it out safely.

8. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Several years ago I was rear ended (not in the 360) and had some neck pain. I called the insurance agent of the person who was at fault and asked him if they would reimburse me if I had a physician check me out. He said yes. So, I had the physician check me out. I called the insurance agent and asked him who I should send the bill to, and he then said they would not reimburse me. When I spoke to his manager, the manager said, "I know we said that we would reimburse you, and I know that my agent made a mistake, but we are simply not going to reimburse you". The insurance company was Progressive. I will NEVER do business with that company.

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My apologies, Utah. I couldn't resist.

Sorry about the car. As others have said, at least no one was hurt and you had insurance. Hopefully you be back in fold soon.

10. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    My Policy was directly with Progressive, no agent middle man. I think that eliminates a lot of confusion and makes things very clear when dealing with a high end exotic. During the process they were very clear and very thorough.

11. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Progressive is not the greatest but some food for thought.

AIG Private Client group. If you have agreed upon value of "x" and current market value is higher you get the higher number. Vice versa. If market value is less then agreed upon you get the agreed upon.

Ace Private Risk - same thing

R

12. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    At least nobody was hurt. It must have been painful to watch. At the end of the day, that's what insurance is for

13. Gumart1

Gumart1 Karting

Dec 22, 2010
    Highland Park, IL
    Full Name:
    Marty
    Sorry to hear about this Breck. Can you tell us what happened exactly? How much time did you have to react? I'm assuming that using your fire extinguisher was not an option.

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Which calls to mind a question I brought up before: If you see smoke or flames, do you try to put it out or just let it go and take the check? Several here said they'd just let it burn to avoid dealing with a damaged car. Not sure I could do that, especially with an extinguisher by my feet.

15. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Wow. That was more than a little fire. Glad all escaped with nothing more than a story to tell.

D

16. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Sorry that things worked out as they did. :(

17. jjsaustin

jjsaustin Formula Junior

May 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I see this coming to eBay with a "salvage" title ;)

18. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    So basically you just have the keys and manual as souvenirs?
    That picture is tough to look at.

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Sorry for what happened to your car Breck.

Glad to hear you are OK.

We can replace a car. We only live once.

All the best to you.

Dan

20. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Glad to hear everyone is okay, sorry about your car though.. That's quite a photo you got from the ordeal at least!

21. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Did you mean to say that Progressive hired an appraiser to confirm the value that you wanted to insure the car for before they insured the car for that value? There would be no reason to hire an appraiser after the loss because in the event of a total loss, you get the amount stated on the policy regardless of the car's market value.

22. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    You say that you called the insurance agent. Progressive sells direct and through independent agents. If you were talking to an independent agent, your beef is with that agency, not Progressive.

You could have made a claim for bodily injury. I assume that you had damage to your auto as well? This should have become part of your claim. At a minimum, you should have called the company directly and/or filed a complaint with the Dept. of Insurance.

23. dakharris

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    ...or maybe an independent agent would have advised you to insure the car for its full value and you'd now have $12-15K more in your pocket.

24. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow...that's horrible. Glad Progressive made it whole.

25. Utah360Spider

Utah360Spider Karting

Mar 21, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    Breck Dockstader
    To answer a few questions.

We were driving and smelled fuel within two or three seconds of the fuel smell we heard the fire ignite, of coarse I immediately pulled the car over and we got the hell out as fast as possible. My passenger had to come out my door as there were flames already coming over his door. As you can see from the picture there is really no way to tell where or what started the fire. From the first picture we took after we got out the fire seemed to have started from fuel hitting the exhaust near the passenger rear tire. I didn't have a fire extinguisher, but with how fast everything happened there is no way I would have had time to mess with that. I left all my personal belongings and got out and away as fast as possible.

As for the appraiser from Progressive. If the current value would have been less then stated value that is the amount I would have received. I wasn't required to do a stated value policy it just helped lower my premium a bit.

Again thanks for all the kind comments. Still can't believe this really happened. I thought I would keep my first Ferrari forever, and just add to the collection.