Steady high pitch beeping noise | FerrariChat

Steady high pitch beeping noise

Discussion in '360/430' started by Edgar Diaz, Oct 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Edgar Diaz

Edgar Diaz Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Edgar Diaz
    #1 Edgar Diaz, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Hey Guys, I have an F430 gated 6 speed manual. After I start the car and as soon as I begin backing out of my driveway, I hear a steady high pitch steady beeping noise. Is seems to come from behind passenger's seat. At first I thought it was my ears ringing, but my daughter confirmed she hears it as well. When I start driving it goes on for a few minutes, but then it quits or the sweet engine sound takes over. Any ideas? Squeekie brakes? Some type of buzzer? Radio is off, AC is off.
    Edgar Diaz

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    my f1 was doing this and my clutch needed to be adjusted - not sure what It means on a manual. its the same sound as the seat belt off right?

whatheheck likes this.
  3. Edgar Diaz

Edgar Diaz Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Edgar Diaz
    No, the sound for seat belt off is much louder. As I said is a high pitched sound almost like ears ringing. Does it only when car is moving.

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I have a 360 F1 with a 80% worn clutch. I get the beeping sound once in a while during initial drive off.

Dan

6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Edgar- There is a reverse siren/beeper to tell you reverse is selected. Is that what you are hearing?

7. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    Edgar, i know exactly the sound you mean, mine does the same, it's not loud enough to be an error, think the day after a loud concert sitting in a quiet room, that's what it sounds like :) my car has done it forever, i've had it for 5 years and done over 30k miles. Doesn't appear to be anything bad :)

John.

whatheheck likes this.
  8. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My Scud does it, as does my previous one. It's a very hard to hear beeping that seems to stop when you go faster right? Someone once told me what it is but I can't remember.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    You sure its not the emissions air pump at startup pumping air into the headers?

10. steelej

steelej Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2007
    UK
    Don't think the 430 has that, scud has but not standard 420.

John.

11. Edgar Diaz

Edgar Diaz Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Edgar Diaz
    I hear this steady beep when I first back up down my driveway. (30 yards). Then when I pull out of my neighborhood (maybe half mile)
    Then I don't hear it anymore till next time I start up. Weird.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Try backing into your garage and see if you get the same thing coming out.

13. schunmd

schunmd Karting

Oct 18, 2010
    Peninsula, CA
    I'm pretty sure I heard on my Scud at times also, only when engine is cold, less than a minute before disappearing.

14. Brambleworth

Brambleworth Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2011
    NY
    Full Name:
    Ted
    My car does this too. After much complaining the dealer narrowed it down to some control box under the dashboard and said he couldn't make the sound go away.

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Did anyone ever figure this out? My car does it as well -- only when rolling, sounds like a high-pitched bell-like ringing (or like running your finger on the rim of a wineglass). Not loud or annoying but audible if you listen for it, until you're moving a bit faster and road noise drowns it out. Pitch does not change as speed increases, doesn't matter if clutch is in or out, idling or revving, etc.

It occurred to me that perhaps it's coming from the speedometer when the needle lifts off zero?

16. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Fuel pumps?

17. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I don't think so ... standing still idling not a sound, rolling while idling at 3 mph, ringing. Brake to a stop, ringing stops.

18. vvvmd

vvvmd F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2003
    close to the Hub
    Full Name:
    Victor Villarreal
    Mine does it as well. High pitched sound. Can hear it at highway speeds with top down. Only when under load though. Goes away when let off the gas

19. PATLEW

PATLEW Formula 3

Dec 3, 2007
    Marvin /Waxhaw
    Full Name:
    Patrick Lewandowski
    Does your car have front and back up sensors? If so it could be the indicators going off because you backed out of the garage initiating a potential obstruction. My 430 did it all the time. You can adjust the sensitivity or just turn it off to avoid the annoying slight beeping. Usually once you have driven a few miles it will fade out.

20. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    No parking sensors on my car. Seems related to the car moving -- forward or backward. In gear or not. Clutch in or out (mine is a 6-speed). I think it's related to some sort of electronic sender on the car ... speedo, odo, ABS, etc. If it changed pitch related to speed it would seem mechanical. Does it when car is warmed up, too, although it's fainter, perhaps because a fan is running. Glad it's not unique to my car.

21. johan6504

johan6504 Formula 3

Jun 28, 2005
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I have the same sound in my Scuderia. It is a high pitch sound, like tinnitus after a loud rock concert. Someone suggested it has something to do with one of the ECU's, but I haven't been able to verify...

22. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M

Power electronics such as thyristers make that kind of noise.
    I can't think why a 430 would use them or anything similar though......

23. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Bringing this back, any ideas? I’m still new to the car, but when you start driving it is more obvious cold. Once you are doing 20 mph I’d say it’s hard to hear over the engine. But when you slow down in first or even neutral in roll, it makes a very faint ( like stated above ear buzzing after a concert) and the sound stops right at 3 mph. Soon as you start moving it hums again. I’m just curious what it is. Seeing as others have had this 5 years and 30k miles doesn’t seem bad, just trying to educate myself. Possibly a pump that starts when moving?

24. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Yep have the same issue as well. I was super paranoid about it, but after a clutch change and a bunch of different shop looked the car over when they did other work no one brought up any errors, visually or in the computer systems. I've driven over 5k miles this year and everything works either.

I get a laugh at some of the prior replies in here, I guess some of us have still have good enough hearing or are young enough to hear it (or could be a curse because it sure drives a lot of anxiety).

It sounds like the seat belt chime, but so faint almost like someone put a big fluffy pillow over the speakers. It's so faint that you could swear it's in your head. It's only there when the car is cold and I put it in neutral and at a complete stop. It goes away once I get on the gas or once it's fully warmed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. dvb247

dvb247 Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    My F430 spider does the exact same thing, it is like Tinnitus or a TV/printer on standby, oddly, at 47 I can still hear in this range!!
    After 3 years I've grown used to it but I too would like to know what the heck it is? sounds like it's coming from the dash to me?