Known 360 Spider issues: | FerrariChat

Known 360 Spider issues:

Discussion in '360/430' started by espvh, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Hi all, in my pursuit of a Ferrari 360 Spider 6 speed for the last few months, and never being a Ferrari owner before, I've notice there are a few know issues. I'm not talking routine maintenance like belts every 3 years. None of these issues seem to be too bad, as in the end of the world issues, but they do seem to exist;

1. Sticky buttons
    2. Leaky top (hydraulic fluid)
    3. Leaky fuel pumps (last about ten years)
    4. Weak lower ball joints
    5. Weak outside door handles
    6. Some dash leather warping/shrinking

I am not looking for an F1 car, so I'm not sure about those, but like I said, in my pursuit of a 360 Spider 6 speed, am I missing/overlooking anything here, these are not deal breakers, but I would like to know what I am in for before I'm in for it. Also, I heard that some of these issues were never resolved and carry forward to the 430 as well, is that true?

Thanks all for all the help, truly a great site!

2. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Precat / header failure.
    Rollover valves.

3. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Shifter bushing wear. Hill Engineering make an improved version. Roll over valve leakage -- I believe the whole top needs to come off to replace them.
    Alan

4. GyllesSmyth

GyllesSmyth Karting

Apr 3, 2013
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    CGS

Yes, definitely make sure your PPI does a close inspection of the hydraulic cylinders. Not an end-of-the-world issue by any means, but they tend to leak and are very expensive and labor intensive to replace.

Yes, it does, which again makes replacement very expensive ... unless the top is already removed to replace your leaking hydraulic cylinders, in which case it's only "expensive" as opposed to "very expensive."

5. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just traded an 05 360 and I had only sticky buttons as an issue. The car was great for 15k miles.

6. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    Don't forget the Heat Exchanger!!

7. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Alternator Cable condition at positive cable and alternator end!

8. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Is this the rollover valve @ 6:50?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPn6GemTeiA]Ferrari 360 RH Fuel Pump Change - YouTube[/ame]

There was a website that said this fuel panel cover @4:55, was put there for easier access to such parts without removing the top, like this guy did @ 3:30 in the vid, is this panel on all 360 Spiders, or just certain years?

9. torresmd

torresmd Karting

Aug 14, 2010
    My 2001 360 has the access doors for the fuel pumps. I just replaced mine which took me 30 minutes.

10. Dr.B

Dr.B Karting

Sep 8, 2013
    Bullhead City AZ.
    Full Name:
    Philip
    My2002 f1 spider I bought at 16,000 mile now has 27,000 miles in a little over a year I have had to replace roll over valve, O2 sensors, power steering belt and a fuel pump but all and all it is a 12 year old car that was not driven on a regular basis prior to my ownership. Thing do get old. With that said I don't expect any more issues other than proper maintanence

11. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    That is the hose connection from the fuel pump to the injector rail. I believe the roll over valves are elsewhere hence the need for the whole top to be removed.
    Alan

12. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    So, according to this web site, Ferrari 360 Spider Roof | Aldous Voice

it all depends on what year the 360 is to determine if you have the access panel?

"This has two important ramifications for 360 owners, the first concerning the access to the fuel tanks. The safety valves fitted to the top of the fuel tanks that prevent fuel leaking out in the event of a roll over are prone to failure (shown in yellow below). The valves themselves are relatively inexpensive and if you have the access panels in the roof cassette then the cost of changing them is reasonable. However, the removal and refitting of the cassette has a book time of nearly nine hours so the job gets very expensive if you don’t have the access panels."

And it looks like the rollover valves are the orange ones pictured in the 3rd from the last pic in this post:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/427149-360-spider-top-removal-diy-rollover-valves.html

13. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Found this here:
    "The access panels were added late 01 from what I understand. Early 01 spiders don't have them."

14. pricey1123

pricey1123 Rookie

Jun 24, 2014
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Sorry for the question as I haven't had a convertible before but does the spider have some sort of emergency if the roof fails when your out and about? That is the only thing I would be worried about if the weather decides to change.

15. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Yes those are correct (4 per vehicle) but if you look closely you will see that the top of the fuel pump is visible in the background and that access panel does not extend far enough to cover the roll over valves.
    Alan

16. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    I did notice that, I thought I saw a post where someone actually cut the panel so you can have easy access.......

17. GaryR

GaryR Formula 3

Dec 11, 2006
    Valencia, Spain
    Full Name:
    Gary R.
    Gas tank charcoal cannister if you have a hard time pumping gas in, i'll let you know if it solves the issue for my car.

18. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Found this online, I guess it it pertains to all models:

"Major Issues
    1.VARIATOR AND LEFT-BANK TENSIONER FAILURES UP TO MID-YEAR 2001: The variator, which controls the 360’s variable exhaust timing, sits on the end of the exhaust cam. If one fails, it can cause severe engine damage. There was a factory campaign to fix the problem, and many early cars will have already been repaired, but it’s important to verify this has been done before purchase—a call to an authorized Ferrari dealer with the car’s VIN is all it takes. (VINs above 123399 left the factory with the updated parts.) If the two variators haven’t been updated, it can get expensive: The units cost around $400 each, but the total bill can exceed $3,000 due to the amount of labor involved. A new tensioner costs roughly $750, but adds little in labor if it’s replaced at the same time as the variator.

2.CRACKING MOTOR-MOUNT FRAME BRACKETS ON 1999 CARS: The bracket that connects the motor mount to the frame can crack, and if it’s not caught early can turn into a big repair. While a new bracket that solved the problem appeared in 2000, it’s more difficult to install it in a ’99 than it is to simply weld and reinforce the original. Prices are hard to judge, but as a very rough estimate expect to pay up to $1,000.

3.F1 HYDRAULIC PUMP RELAY FAILURE: All but the very late cars had an underrated relay that controlled the F1 system’s hydraulic pump. If it fails, the pump will run continuously until it burns out. There’s an easy fix: Replace the original relay with a 50-amp version. It should cost $100-200 at most.

4.MOTOR MOUNTS: The first-generation motor mounts wore out extremely quickly, and should be replaced with the second-generation mounts, which were introduced late in production. The two mounts cost around $300 each, and it will cost another $300-400 to have them installed.

5.TRANSMISSION MOUNTS: Both the first- and second-generation transmission mounts suffer from short life spans, but fitting an F430 transmission mount solves that problem. The later-model part costs about $200, and the total job will run roughly $700-750.

Minor issues
    1.The pre-catalytic converters (or precats) on post-’99 cars sometimes fail. Although this is very rare in well-maintained, unmodified cars, if it occurs it can cause severe engine damage. The precat’s condition can be easily checked by an experienced 360 mechanic; if the catalytic matrix has come loose, the exhaust manifolds must be replaced.

2.Interior wear can be an issue. Kick panels and door sills get scuffed, the leather-covered dash can shrink if the car is left in the sun, and plastic parts like buttons wear, score and get sticky.

3.Cars with VINs below 124875 left the factory with a poor version of the F1 transmission software. Any transmission control unit with a part number of 189542 or higher can be upgraded.

4.Front-end paint chips are common. This isn’t a problem with the paint quality, it’s a function of airflow over the car’s low front end. Many owners install protective clear film on the car’s nose.

5.Early Spiders have no access to engine-compartment subframe attachment bolts, and so require more labor for many types of routine service. The top was redesigned at assembly #41464 to remedy the problem.

6.Electrical gremlins were quite common early on due to the aluminum structure being a problematic grounding source. This is not usually a big hurdle.

7.The instrument panel’s illumination can fail. Ferrari sells new panels, but there are outside companies that will repair the existing one.

8.It’s very rare, but broken transmission oil heat exchangers can cause severe transmission damage. I have never seen a failure be non-symptomatic, so make sure your shop investigates any strange, new noises.

9.The stick shift’s shifter bushing can go bad. Ferrari sells replacements, but I recommend Hill Engineering’s upgraded part.

10.Some early cars suffered from prematurely failing*ball joints*. Since Ferrari only sells complete A-arms, I use Hill Engineering’s replacements.

11.The Challenge Stradale’s carbon-fiber engine-bay panels can become discolored. Ferrari replaced a number under warranty, but if it happens to you the only option is to buy new ones."

So I guess everything has been covered up to this point?
    Are there any other concerns/issues?