Can I put a used ECU in a 360? | FerrariChat

Can I put a used ECU in a 360?

Discussion in '360/430' started by MiamiPoker, Oct 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MiamiPoker

MiamiPoker Rookie

May 13, 2014
    My mechanic says the Right ECU is bad.. I'm looking for a used ECU around on EBAY and other places..I did find a used one on EBAY with the same part number. I ran across a thread that said you can't use an ECU from one 360 into another 360 because it's programmed to the 1st car and can't be reprogrammed.

Is that correct?

Thanks for your help

BTW 2004 360 F1 trans

2. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Call Exotic Auto Recycling. Solid service..quick turnaround.

The ECUs work in a way where the passenger right ECU is Master and Left is Slave. Whatever ECU you install on the right side burns in the VIN# and cannot be reused on another car. You can switch right and left in the same car and you might ant to try that first before sourcing a new one.

You want to buy a used left (driver side) ECU cuz it has not yet been burned in. There is also a difference between an F1 and Manual ECU.

3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Greg- The issue is the alarm PIN is programmed into the right Motronic ECU. All else correct. Trouble with a used Motronic ECU is they are not usually noted as right or left. If certain you have the original ECUs, using the used one on the left and your original left on the right should work.

4. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Can't you get an ECU reprogrammed by FNA?

Steve

5. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    There are plenty a new 360 ECU's floating around that came with the sports exhaust kits that were all sold off earlier this year.
    You may be able to flush one of those out. Getting it programmed is another matter!
    I know of one for sale in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Terry
    Wouldn't they have different part numbers?
    Alan

7. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

No.

8. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Agree. If a used part, the recycler needs to guarantee it is a left bank unit and either F1 or manual. Going through this right now :) and running my manual car with a borrowed F1 ECU.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/465188-possible-ecu-gone-bad-whats-your-diagnosis.html

9. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I got the racing exhaust earlier and the ECUs were indeed different part numbers. The ECUs included in my kit were for the Challenge Stradale Euro version. I put them in my car and got CEL related to fuel mixture trim. Put the old ECUs back in and problem went away. Called Ferrari in Tampa Bay, where I purchased the system and they had me send the ECUs and my VIN number to them and they sent them to Ferrari factory to get them reprogramed.

Steve

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alan- Daniel is correct, the right and left Motronic ECUs have the same part number. When first initialized, the Alarm ECU passes the PIN to the right Motronic DME and it is stored in erasable memory. Eventually, some genius will figure out how to erase that PIN and take it back to a virgin DME, but we are not there yet. Also eventually, that will also provide another means of determining what your PIN is if the PIN is lost and only one or two fobs remain. The Australian group can already pull the PIN from the red fob and the Alarm ECU/Immobilizer.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Bosch gave Mercedes Benz that ability and Benz gave it to their dealers. It is not clear if Bosch also gave that ability to Ferrari, their relationship is not really very good. One thing is certain though, if Ferrari has that ability they will not share it. They far prefer you buy new expensive parts.

12. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Terry
    Anu idea who they are as I would love to have my PIN to pass on to future owners?
    Thanks
    Alan

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Alan- Here you go.

Home

14. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Hello Daniel,

Sorry for being 'out of coverage' for a couple of summers now, I have been working abroad on some very challenging projects which has required my full attention [hence not indulging my passion for all things Ferrari, well not that much anyhow ;)]. Anyway back onto your thread, your exactly on the right track with summarizing that it should be possible to 're-virgin' reset a 'used' ecu to factory new condition. Also with the right knowledge you could do all sorts of stuff against the immobilizer side of things too. The first thing you must do is learn how to read up on the ME7.3 (H4 variant used in the 360) Bosch Ignition ECU's and understand how they work. A background in low level programming and embedded systems is very useful here if you want to conduct your own research and do things you wouldn't have dreamed where possible. As I explained in previous threads a couple of years ago now how to build a custom wiring harness for bench reading of the 360's firmware image.

Dumping the Flashed Firmware
    Once you manage to successfully read/write the ECU's 512 Kbytes rom image using "boot mode" and Galleto cable your doing well. This rom dump contains the pure logic as well as all the maps [like fueling] which are also heavily check-summed. So if your wanting to modifying the fueling (on say a dyno or simply use the Challenge Stradale maps) or heavily mod the engine by say adding a supercharger or turbocharger its ideal to get access to these maps and alter them [after suitably check-summing them].

Checksums and Modifications
    Its also possible to turn off monitoring of the o2 sensors (to stop CEL occurring at source) and even entirely disable the immobilizer so the ignition ecu's don't care. I begun writing a tool which did such check-summing and open sourced it (there are now some fork's of that project which have done excellent work although not specifically for Ferrari's but nevertheless much of it could be retro applied), although there are commercial tools available too.

EEPROM Settings Storage
    While I never gotten around to doing a lot of work on this part some the same harness can then be used to using dummy K-line cable to read the ecu's setting storage, its not stored in the same flash storage itself, there is a separate EEPROM storage of just 512 bytes which has all the specifics. You can alter the settings dump file in a hex editor and recalculate the checksum's then re-program.

I certainly don't want to get anyone's hopes up here because I still have NO free time (even this time to write this post I don't really have!!) but any case if your in this industry perhaps this may be use to you to carry on the work...

-T

15. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Oh sod it, I'll do a tool soon for the community.

one4torque likes this.
  16. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Trev-

Let us know how we can help. It would be great to reflash a fouled ECU. even better to program an immob bypass.

17. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Wow $699 -- that isn't cheap. If you have run over all of your fobs and don't have the code then they offer all fobs and PIN for $799. :)
    Alan

18. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Am I missing something but is the embedded PIN an issue with a second hand ECU providing you have the original two still installed.
    Right one fails - fit replacement to right. If it works it was previously a left one and keep in place. If it doesn't swap left to right and fit the replacement to the left.
    Left one fails - fit replacement to left.

The problem is if a previous owner had done it already.....

19. MiamiPoker

MiamiPoker Rookie

May 13, 2014
    Just so I'm clear on this.. Both the right and left ECU are really the same... But If I want to replace the RH ECU which is Bad with a used ECu from a different 360.. I should by a Left ECU since that won't have the info from the other car burned into it.

I also gather that I should have my mechanic try to swap the no working Right ECU with the Left one before buying anything?

Thanks for all your help.
    MP

20. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    You got it. Would add that if you buy a new/used one, best to move your original working left to the right side and add the new one on the left side.

21. LadenMaidenB-29

May 3, 2013
    Orlando, Florida
    Full Name:
    Scott Hill
    Did the borrowed F1 ecu work out I was wondering if I can use F1 ecus in my six speed

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Scott- The Motronic ECUs for three pedal and F1 Ferraris are different. Not sure what would happen if someone tried to exchange them, but I would not recommend it. When one FChatter converted his 360 from F1 to three pedals, he had to get new Motronic ECUs.

23. LadenMaidenB-29

May 3, 2013
    Orlando, Florida
    Full Name:
    Scott Hill
    Thanks for the response, the reason I need to do this is that Im installing a Novitec Kit that was previously on a F1 car and Novitec made changes to the fuel and igniton maps I have the Immobiliser with the ecus, Novitec will not help so I will have to try it, I'm hoping the only difference in the maps is some sort of input from the tcu to the ecu in the f1 car during shifting that my car will not have and thus never become a factor. Thanks again

24. GWARREND

GWARREND Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I did this last week...borrowed an F1 ECU to run in my 3 pedal. It works without any issue but you get a dash light from the conflict of F1 v 3 pedal tranny. Good short term fix.

25. LadenMaidenB-29

May 3, 2013
    Orlando, Florida
    Full Name:
    Scott Hill
    Thanks for the information, it helps tremendously and is appreciated, by light I assume the cel and not a message, the fact that it works without any issue tells me the ecu sends an error code when it does not communicate with the TCU over the can bus network but does not appear to affect fuel or ignition, I can ignore the cel until I can find someone who can remove this from the ECU file, I don't know how to. If any issues with driveability show up please let me know thanks again for the response!!!