Effect on scuderia prices with the M458-T release. | FerrariChat

Effect on scuderia prices with the M458-T release.

Discussion in '360/430' started by scudF1, Oct 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Do you guys think that the scuderia prices will get effected a lot once the new M458-T gets released? Your thoughts.

2. THonda

THonda Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    TH
    Probably very little, 2 very different kind of cars. The rawness is just something the 458 anything can't achieve.

3. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    #3 galt, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    Except that Scud prices have been rising over the past year. Same with the Challenge Stradale which may be rising even more despite being "older". Probably rising because of a supply issue as well as a desire of many for a more visceral/raw style of driving experience. For example many prefer the superfast transmission for its rawness over a dct which is obviously very smooth, has more gears and shifts faster.

There are many buyers, especially with the cars all being so fast now, who place "how the car makes them feel" up higher than absolute lap time. These are the same types who like cars like the GT3 RS 4.0--another car which has nothing but gone up. Far from obeying the "older models will get cheaper" rule that is typical. I could go on and on with examples (f40, 288, enzo, carrera gt etc etc).

Fact is that naturally aspirated engines are becoming a rarity. In addition, CS's and scuds are starting to move from "hotter latest and greatest hands" into those of collectors who tend to hold on to them. For these reasons, I would think there is a stable or rising bid for these cars. In fact, once the turbo comes out--that may be a catalyst for a move higher as people start realizing that the scud and CS offer an experience that is very different and just as special and probably never to be made again.

4. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    some get better like scuds.

5. scuderia09

scuderia09 Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 6, 2007
    so i guess the f40 and f50 are alot cheaper now ??

6. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Prices will rise... It's not all about spead.... It's more about the feeling and experience as well as uniqueness. The scud is a verry different car with all of the carbon fiber and with the stoped out interior and aggressive transmission... Got me it's an event when I drive it... You don't get that from a 458 or from most sports cars for that matter.

7. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    I think it will affect more on the current 458 Italia and Speciale (if they release a speciale version of 458T). For the scuds, I think slowly it will increase its value or just hold at $200-225k for low mileage scuds. Its a nice car, also keep in mind that M. Schumacher was involved in developing this... it's really for keeps if you ask me. :)

8. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I think the prices for low mileage Scuds will go up. Only time will tell, unless someone has a crystal ball. I just hope all this speculation doesn't make owners stop driving their cars for fear of depreciation due to high mileage. The car is just too good to let it sit and collect dust.

9. Michael B

Michael B F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 28, 2004
    US of A
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Well said.

10. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Agree that the price of the N/A Speciale, my current dream car, will likely hold its value well as a result of the new T. Sad for me as it may price me out of the market.

11. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    458 T would be less desirable to me than an NA 458 or a scud...regardless of power. But a lot of people just want the latest and fastest so it will certainly impact the market to some extent. Not sure that the buyer of a 458T is cross shopping the scud though.

12. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    What if the 458T is a great car and blows you away, like the rush of an F40?
    All this speculation that the T will be less of a car will be debunked

13. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm sure the new car will have great performance. Some, like me, however, will always prefer natural aspiration. As a result, the current Speciale may become a collector's car sooner than others have before it.

14. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I think the speciale , scud as well as the cs will all have the potential to maintain or even increase in value (after the speciales initial fall).. I think there will be a group of collectors looking to get all three and that is the type of demand that will drive pricing..
    either way I m keeping my scud... no amount of additional speed makes up for the incredible feeling I get every time I pull the car out of the garage..

15. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm sure it will be a great car; I'm sure it will be faster.

It will be absolutely nothing like an F40 though or any car from that generation.

I also doubt it will be like the scud - it isn't intended to be.

Just a matter of which tool and experience you want for the given task.

16. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    For sure the upcoming 458T will be faster and better performance compare to the Scud no doubt about that... but it won't affect on the pricing or value of the Scud in any way, it's a totally different car. Many purists would still choose the Scud over the 458T thats what I think. The 458T is more on daily driven or weekend drives, not a track car like the Scud. If you ask me, I'd get a used speciale without letting go my Scud of course... the first thing that 458T will affect are the 458 Italia and Speciale NOT the 430 Scuderia. :) Cheers!

17. Slickhillsy

Slickhillsy Karting

Aug 22, 2012
    Banned user - with quotes like this I can see why!!! lol...

Sure if you buy a Hona Civic and it gets old it will without any doubt be cheaper. However... If they made a limited run of Honda Civic road cars that were based on a one make series for gentleman racers, were mega special, very light, crazy fast, loads of carbon and make the noise of the gods...

Then I dont think that would be the case...

See where I'm going with this LOL ....

18. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    What if the crying from the audience is wrong and the 458T really is a great Ferrari?
    The F40 seemed to turbocharge people's passion too - and recall it was a derivative of the stock 308 engine, something that may be very close to the 458 to 458T situation

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No one is crying...well maybe one person ; )

It's not comparable. The the 458 turbo will be an awesome car. it will have a great motor and it is built on a tremendous platform with amazing technology.

But it will not melt people's faces and redefine what a super-car is...that is what the F40 did. That is what the LaFerrari, P1, and 918 are doing today. The F40 was so much better than everything else that people could not understand how it was so good.

20. Forcefed

Forcefed Karting

Aug 14, 2009
    United Arab Emirates
    I agree with many here. Many will go and buy the new T engined cars or hybrids, mostly bcz its the latest newest thing released. Ferrari will never have any trouble selling them too. Yet some of those new customers haven't tried the "older" N/A engined cars, thus will never know how true and raw they are. I for myself plan to keep my Scud for ever. Drove many exotics, never once came out of one and said damn this thing feels better than my Scud.

21. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    Well said :)

22. Darth_Homer

Mar 29, 2014
    I know what you meant about the F40 having a turbocharged engine and also the upcoming 458T... But the F40 is in a different category/class like the 288GTO, F50, Enzo and LaFerrari. No doubt the 458T will beat the older models like stradale, scud and maybe even the speciale, but in the long run those 3 older models will have better value than the 458T. :)