Engine does not rev freely when blipping throttle from idle | FerrariChat

Engine does not rev freely when blipping throttle from idle

Discussion in '360/430' started by bob224, Oct 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob224

bob224 Karting

Nov 6, 2013
    Australia
    When blipping throttle from idle (clutch in or out) engine does not rev freely, engine bogs down (bipping higher in the rev range is smooth). Car only does this when in motion, when stationary blipping throttle from idle is smooth. Car also idles a little rough when warm (+/-100rpm). Also when coming to a stop at the lights rpms seem to dip to around 900rpm momentarily then jumps up above 1000rpm before settling down.

Car was overfilled with engine oil 12 months back (prior owner) which may have fowled up MAF as there was some engine oil in plenum. MAF were cleaned by tech (as well as draining oil from plenum) which fixed rough start problem at the time. This may still be a hangup of that issue, but unsure if this explains why car revs freely when stationary and not at speed?

2. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    If you have half-decent OBD software it might be worthwhile checking the readings for the MAF. You might find a differential between the two at similar load/rpm which would indicate one or the other is bad. Check also the Long Term Fuel Trim, if you have high positive trim it would be another indicator that perhaps the MAFs are not responding correctly but could also indicate a leak somewhere in the inlet side of the motor.

That said, I've always found my 2000 360 to be somewhat unresponsive/lethargic at lower RPM, particularly when not fully warmed up.

I don't understand why it would be any different when rolling versus stationery.