Delayed Shifting on F1 | FerrariChat

Delayed Shifting on F1

Discussion in '360/430' started by mmaster144, Oct 28, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mmaster144

mmaster144 Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mark Masterman
    I am a new 2003 360 owner and have an number of high performance cars with paddle shifters...but no matter whether in SPORT mode or normal...there is considerable "lag" between shifts. VERY noticeable and bothersome. I've tried high RPM shifts with foot down and it still lags ....lag-then hard on....shift/lag...hard on....I could shift a manual transmission quicker. Any suggestions, etc would be helpful....clutch wear is only 5% as it is new(er).

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Simple answer is no you can't shift fast; not even close. What other cars have you owned? VERY few other cars actually had an F1 clutch setup; most had automatics or, if newer, double clutch transmissions. Give us some reference for your statement and we may be able to help clarify if it is normal.

3. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hmmm.... some 360s will shift better / smoother / faster than others (depending on version of the traction control unit fitted and the quality of the set-up as regards the clutch position and sensor) but all will probably feel a little agricultural compared to a modern dual clutch system such as that fitted to many of the modern cars. Perhaps you are comparing 1999 technology with 2010+?

My biggest question for you is did you not drive the car before purchase? Did you not like it before purchase?

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hummm, your F1 transmission may need to be fine tuned using an SD3 computer.

Try this, drive your car on 3rd gear at about 6,000 RPM, press the gas pedal hard and quickly downshift to 3rd. It should downshift and take off quickly.

If not I highly recommend you take your car to a shop with an SD3 computer or to the dealer to have the F1 reset and fine tuned.

Dan

5. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    #5 IDriveM5, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    The one thing I have learned so far with the F1 gearbox is that it's hard to be consistent with this setup. For the most part, when I'm just dawdling about town, I can get relatively smooth shifts from lower to higher gears if I shift at ~6k RPM. Sometimes, if I'm flogging the car and driving aggressively, I'll run up to redline and pull a shift. Sometimes, it will powershift and roll into the next gear (which I absolutely love). Other times, it will execute a "normal" shift where it eases off the throttle and swaps the cogs.

It behaves "inconsistently" at low speeds in parking lots as well. If I'm at parking lot speed for a "longish" time, I can get bucking. Sometimes, it seems to depend on the throttle position and the incline of the ground surface.

In terms of "delayed shifting" or speed of the shifts, in general, they're not quite as fast as they are in my BMW M5, but they're entirely tolerable. Maybe yours needs a second look.

I dunno, I like the gearbox, but its behavior is harder for me to predict than the similar transmission (SMG) installed in my BMW M5.
    Edit: My 360 clutch is just fine - not excessively worn.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I agree with Raj and my experience has been the same as his.

Shifting is mostly dependent on throttle position & how warmed up the car is, but there are times its simply inconsistent........

Fastest shift that is consistent to my experience is just like what the manual said:
    If you want to pass and pass quick prior to downshifting gears press the gas pedal hard.

Dan

7. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    In the case of downshifts, I would agree with this. Under the conditions described, it does seem to be better with rev-matching the next lowest gear. I wish there was a way on this gearbox to tell it in advance that we'd like to shift to the next highest gear. Sort of like they do in the McLaren DCT. But, I realize the cars and technology weren't really capable of this when the 360 was designed. My car is, after all, a teenager. Her design is several years older than that!

8. mmaster144

mmaster144 Rookie

Sep 24, 2014
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mark Masterman
    I watched the archived vid clip from Naples when they showed the 360 F1 transmission shifting clip....mine is no where near as quick....Thanks for the replies and I believe that I need to have the transmission reset and fine tuned. Thanks for the replies.
    I really love this car in spite of its quirky Italian nature. I love fast cars and each has it's own good and bad. Though not as quick and its handling isn't the best - I still really love the whole aura of this 360. Got me planning on the next addition already!! My current stable is: Hennessy GT-R, CTS-V Coupe, Shelby GT-500 and the prize prince - 360. Thanks again!!

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- Take her to your tech and have him do an SD2 self test and diagnosis. It probably would also help to change and bleed the F1 fluid to eliminate that as a problem. Last recommendation from Ferrar for F1 fluid change was 3 years (599) as Ferrari finally figured out the fluid does not last the life of the Ferrari. Most 360s are still running the original hydraulic fluid mixed with whatever it took to top it off at annual services.

10. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Does the F1 box have a Salmon relay? That's what usually causes issues with the SMG box in M3s and is easily/cheaply replaced.

11. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome.

And like Taz and I have mentioned, take it in for an SD2 or SD3 or Leonardo to do a diagnostics checks and see what data comes up.

Then they will do an F1 fine tune and reset where the computer will go through each and every gear to set full travel and set other settings to its optimum.

And I agree with Taz, check also your F1 hydraulic fluids.

Keep us posted.

All the best to you.

Dan

12. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    One of the great things about the 360CS was that it cured the slow shifting of the 360

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Baloney Finitele. As usual you do not know what you are talking about. Ferrari quotes 150 ms min shift time for the 360, CS and F430. The last 360 TCUs from late CY 2002 shift just fine. The big improvements in the later TCUs was smoothness at lower revs and sharpness at higher revs, not minimum speed.

14. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Terry, I have a 2002 360. Is there any way to tell which TCU I got that year? I think this has been discussed before but couldn't find it in search.

15. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    Seems like you're already in 3rd....do you mean to downshift to 2nd???

Mark

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    It's behind the front r/h seat under the floor panel bolted to the chassis. It has a number on it you can search.

17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- Glen has it, but you can also check your Assembly Number. The last two updates were at ANs 47115 and 47380, with the last part number of 211023 if you check the actual ECU/TCU.

18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Oooops, sorry for the typo. Yes, downshift to 2nd gear.

I do this technique on mine and shifting is instantaneous.

Dan

19. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Hello guys, long time 308/328 guy here, considering a move to a 360. I'd like to find a 3-pedal car but they are few and far between right now. There are a couple 2000 F1 cars here in Houston that I'm looking at.

I test-drove one of them last week, my first-ever F1 drive. Not sure if I like it or not. My question:

It doesn't seem possible to modulate the clutch to feather the gear uptake as it customary on standard stick and clutch cars. That seems to be the one thing missing from paddle shift.

Is this correct? You select a gear and it's instantly, full engaged? No way to feather it in? Remembering my test drive from last week, it seemed a bit jerky to launch the car from a stop. With a clutch pedal, it's easy to modulate the clutch uptake. Maybe not with F1? Moving into the higher gears is less problematic, but launching from a stop certainly seemed more difficult. Maybe it's done with the throttle on these cars..

Also, what sort of life are you guys getting out of your F1 clutches? I hear all sorts of different stories, mostly centering around shorter life for those who don't shift correctly. What actually constitutes shifting "correctly" in an 360 F1 car?
    Greg

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is a very old thread and you are way off topic. You are better to start a new thread to ask the questions. Also, there are a BUNCH of threads on how best to drive an F1. Do a search and you will find plenty of information.

21. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks, internet forum police! How is my post "way off topic"? There's plenty F1 shift info in this thread.

And why does the age of the thread matter? People often raise old threads with new posts. My post raises it to the top. I try to avoid starting new threads which add to the clutter around here.

I did perform a search on my issue, and found nothing, but if you want to be constructive, please feel free to post links.

Greg

22. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Greg, If the trans and clutch are adjusted properly you can modulate the clutch with the application of throttle. From a stop, if you don't give enough throttle input it will slip the clutch. It has been said that this technique is hard on the clutch. It just takes some time to adjust your brain to the F1 trans. They work very good. If you go on a test drive and the owner drives the car you should get an idea of what the car is capable of.

23. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Dave, thanks for the informative reply! Good stuff. Just what I wanted to know.

I sort of resolving myself to the reality that clutch and stick cars are slowly going away, and I'm going to have to adapt! The manufacturers are forcing us to!

Greg

24. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #24 Ron328, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  25. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Thanks much, I'll check them out. Now this is what I call constructive!

Greg