My 430 came without shields | FerrariChat

My 430 came without shields

Discussion in '360/430' started by houtie123, Nov 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Aftermarket shields normally look horrendous, but if it's that or a new pair of wings, has anyone had positive experiences? My F1 came without them specc'd which I've always slightly regretted.

Also I see a huge variation in the prices of cloissonne lacquer coated 1mm metal shields being offered:

FERRARI SCUDERIA WING SHIELDS BADGES 308,328,348,355,430,360,550,TR,512,456,458 | eBay

as against

FERRARI SCUDER SHIELDS BADGES 308,328,348,355,430,360 GRILL BADGE EMBLEM MG JAGU | eBay

Is there a real difference? Or would you just walk away and save up for the real deal?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. chefcore

chefcore Karting

May 8, 2014
    Virginia
    I personally think shields are a must. However, I believe people have had issues with trying to retrofit the factory ones to cars not spec's that way, as they are designed to be slightly recessed into the body so are extra thick. I know there used to be a guy named "Yoshi" who made highly-regarded aftermarket shields, but I think he is out of business? Best of luck!

3. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    #3 mtmilam, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I got mine from Yoshi...I think....they are thin metal and looks just like OEM and Pre bent for the Car model...about 200.00 or so.....I recently put them on my 430 spider...they almost like OEM except for the Recess...I'm pleased with them.....Car won "Best of Show" last weekend, so maybe the judges didn't mind them either :D:D
    Ordered on Ebay...Sorry I don't have a closer picture of them
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I recently bought some from Jim, an Fchat dude. His chat name is I-velocita and I can tell you the badges are awesome.
    These fit perfectly and are pre bent.
    Plus he's a good guy

Worth every cent

5. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    The ones on the silver spider do look factory...wow!

6. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    Maybe that's where I got mine from. I can't remember. But that names seems familiar. He has a ebay site I think

7. o31982

o31982 Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    nes
    I've purchased eBay along with Yo-shields. I can say the Yo-shields are excellent, down to the color, etc

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yoshi is out of business. Jim's shields are excellent and he makes carbon fiber shields for the 360/F430 as well.

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Terry, do you have a link for his user name?

10. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Copy this into the search part.

I-velocita

It will take you to an ad he ran a while ago

11. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Great advice as ever guys! Jim's shields sure look the real deal - have PM'd him. I'm torn between carbon and yellow on my grigio silverstone spider......

12. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Grigio Silverstone screams out for carbon shields if you have to get them aftermarket that would look sweet!

13. F1Spider

F1Spider Karting

Jan 8, 2013
    Austin
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    I paid $750 per OEM shield which is also pre-bent, used a tool to shave off the 3 screw threads and used heavy duty dual sided 3M tape to fix them to my fenders. Better the car looks like a Ferrari versus a Fooerrri, Fauxraree.

14. Akram

Akram Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2009
    Clive, Iowa
    Full Name:
    Ray Salloum
    Get the ones that say BAD ASS on them.

15. kreh

kreh Karting

Feb 21, 2006
    OC
    Full Name:
    Kim Reh
    I have never seen a Ferrari come without the badges/shields on the fenders. How does that happen?

16. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree - surely shields should be standard spec? Let's start a campaign.....
    Having said that, it does make mine look a little bit of a sleeper at the lights,,,,,most rubberneckers trying to figure out what it is .....

17. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    I think Shields should be a no cost option. Some people like them for me not having factory shields would be somewhat of a deal breaker but other folks may not like them, to each their own I suppose.

18. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    Yes, that is where I got mine for the silver 430 in picture above...I forgot the price, but Way less than the OEM shields and hard to tell the Difference, other than the Recess area in Fender metal, which if you car didn't come with Shields, Then it won't have the Recess area anyway, so just as soon go with Jims Shields...they are a tad thinner than OEM, so they don't look like that sticking out to much. check Ebay from seller I-velocita....thats Jim.

19. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Aftermarket shields that sit on the surface are immediately recognized and noticed by anyone walking by. Real ones are Frenched into the fender. I think FoSF advertises to be able to French fenders

20. THE RED MENACE

THE RED MENACE Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 24, 2005
    It's a $1620 option on the 458, so they have to be ordered but most cars are ordered with them. I would rather not have them but resale is an issue when they are not on the car.

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Finitele- Not true. It is hard to tell good aftermarket shields like Jim's from the OEM shields unless you are very close. Plus total cost to inlet the fenders, buy OEM shields, paint the fenders, etc would probably be around $5K.

22. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    ^^^ good point, plus when you pull the build/option sheet on any car it will indicate the car came with factory option shields or did not...

23. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    I'm sure this guy can get you some shields, but don't let him upsell you on the rest of the wares he's peddling:
    Ferrari 430 Base Coupe 2 Door | eBay

24. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    After all the advice on this forum, I've gone for Jim's carbon shields for my grigio silverstone spider. Just waiting on delivery - will post pics when they are on!!!

25. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #25 houtie123, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017