My new Scuderia just arrived | FerrariChat

My new Scuderia just arrived

Discussion in '360/430' started by rumen1, Nov 5, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Hi guys, I have just bought a 08 430 Scud and I have driven it all day now. It's a really great machine, but I will be puting it in the garage for a revision before I start driving it regulary in the spring. And as a new Scud owner, I have a few questions.

The gear change doesn't seem to be fast enough. I know what this model is capable of, but my car changes gears a little bit sluggish. It changes a little bit quicker when it goes to 4th and 5th, but on the first 3 gears the changes for sure are not fast enough. I have driven it on race mode, because the weather is cold here and so is the tarmac. It also seems to have a little bit of "thinking" when the car takes off. Can it be the clutch?

And also - as far as I know you can see the wear of the components like the clutch and the brakes, but does she show this on the dashboard somehow, or I must go to a mechanic with a diagnostic tool?

best regards to all

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I'll be the first to say it! PICTS NOW!!!!!!

3. PbPedis

PbPedis Formula Junior

May 6, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    There are certain parameters needed before you get the 60ms shift. Engine needs to be hot, throttle past a certain position and possibly RPM as well. Bottom line, when the engine is hot, put the hammer down and you will be amazed.

You need an SD3 for clutch wear.

4. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    #4 rumen1, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks, and if there is any problem with the gearbox, will it also show an error?

I only have one pic at the moment... The car came from Germany, there is a thread for it here. It drives and feels great, it's just the gear changes, but maybe it is just me.... Anyway - I make comprehensiveness revisions to all my cars anyway, so I will change most of the components before the spring.

Here it is:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Beautifull

6. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    PbPedis is correct. The shift speed depends on several factors. If you aren't pushing the car hard, it will shift more slowly. Put the go pedal down and shift at a high rpm, however, and you'll feel the shock wave of a 60 ms shift. ;)

7. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    I will try that tomorrow, but I will need to go to the highway :) I'm not sure how old the gearbox oil is though...

And one other question - the manual suggests that I put a 5/40 oil in the engine. However, I use 10/60 Castrol Edge oil on all my other cars (including my 355) and it seems to work pretty good. Should I try it on the Scud also, or I better stick to what the manual suggests?

8. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    That's it just 60ms! I heard that superman can shift a 3 pedal car in 25ms though lol :)

9. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For those of us not from Krypton, 60 ms is pretty damn good. Much faster than you can blink!

10. bart12

bart12 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    The River runs through it
    Full Name:
    MD Leo
    I think my scuderia shifts pretty quick. Damn quick I would say. I have a SMG M5 and is used to lightly removing my feet from the gas pedal when shifting. Most of the time, I unconsciously do that ritual and I would say, the car shift before I can depress and press back the gas pedal. Thats why I think a DCT is too fast for me, its really an automatic. I still want some delay feel.

11. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Scud does shift awesome and darn fast, I'd love to drive a scud and 458 Speciale back to back

12. Ssaa77

Ssaa77 Karting

Oct 1, 2013
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but we're not talking auto mode right? Never pushed the car in auto, but in manual, those shifts should be awesomely violently fast.

13. RonnieRenaldi

RonnieRenaldi F1 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    Congrats! Are those black painted taillights?

14. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Yes. They are not on my taste, I must say... I'm ready to switch them with someone, who has normal ones and likes these.

Anyone with opinion about the engine oil?

15. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Curious about the engine oil as well. What is the reasoning behind using a different viscosity than the manufacturer recommends?

16. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, I personally use it because here in the summer it gets very hot and I'm not sure that the 5/40 oil works as good as the 10/60 in these conditions. They say that the Castrol Edge 10/60 is the best oil for the high RPM engines...

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  18. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Yes, I have. The car is actually quite good and it drives flawless, except for that gear change, which may be just in my head. I will change the clutch anyway and I found a company in Germany, that is remanufacturing carbon brake discs and it is very reliable. For sure the car will go trough a revision and next year she will be in top condition. She is safe in my hands now :)

19. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Thanks for that. I guess it makes sense that the manufacturer would suggest the optimal oil for the average owner. But perhaps someone living in a non average climate would have a different optimal viscosity.

20. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have a 360, so it's not even in the same league as the Scud when it comes to gear changes. I attached a video where you can hear gear changes, I was switching gears at about 7,000 rpm. If your car doesn't switch gears way faster than mine, you may have a problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eDiBq4PUxo&feature=youtu.be

21. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would stick w 5w40. I run it at the track and on the street. This motor runs pretty cool for the power output. I run 10w60 in my m3. Advantage is more protection at track temps; downside is it is thicker at startup. M3 runs hotter than scud though.

Enjoy it!

22. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Well, they say, that the castrol edge 10/60 is the best oil at the market for the moment and that it is far more advanced product , that any 5/40 oil, but I'm not sure if this is really the truth or not....

As for the gear changes - yes, for sure the car shifts way faster when going to high rpm and what i have noticed again is that the changes to 4th and 5th gear are faster than the changes to 2nd and 3rd. Is that normal too?

23. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Congrats!

24. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Congratulations on your new ride. Drive it, enjoy it and don't worry about the shifting. It sounds normal to me.

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #25 Melvok, Nov 8, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    OOPS ... is it the one sold in 82178 Puchheim / Munchen VIN# is ZFFKZ64B000160740 ?

There was an awful report on that one published here by Michael from Sweden who looked at that Scuderia .... http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/457542-430-scuderia-question.html