997.1 TT vs F430/360 | FerrariChat

997.1 TT vs F430/360

Discussion in '360/430' started by 93ls1rx7, Nov 13, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 93ls1rx7

93ls1rx7 Rookie

Nov 13, 2014
    So after about 18 months of excellent and enjoyable Porsche 911 turbo ownership I am thinking about my next step. I have been nothing but happy with the Porsche and it has been dead on reliable and fast.

The issue is that it just doesnt seem to "do it" for me. The only time I get a real thrill is when I am pushing the car and to do that, I am WELL over the speed limit even in Germany. I keep thinking I will do some upgrades but then I quickly realized that those upgrades will only increase the ability to break the law quicker.

I only have driven the car about 800-1000 miles in the 18 months I have owned it.

I was in Maranello a few months ago and got the chance to drive a 458 Italia and it was amazing. The looks and the sound were simply outstanding.

While I cant afford a 458, I can afford a 360/430 which I also love the looks and sound of. So I know I am on a Ferrari site and I am going to post this same question to the Porsche forums:

Mileage and excessive use arent an issue. For how little I use the Porsche I want it to be more of an experience.

The 911 has reached probably close to the bottom of its depreciation curve as has the 360. The 430 still has a while to go but it is probably getting in the ballpark.

Should I make the switch?

If you have owned both or all three, which is your choice for a car that wont ever be anything more than the occasional weekend toy?

Should I wait 2 more years for the 458 to come down a little further?

2. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I compared a 997 Carrera S to a 360. No contest the 360 won hands down, owned it the day I drove it. Much more of a raw sports car feel. In another thread most said they would not sell a 360 for a 997 GT3 so that says something. Ferrari ticks more boxes and is more of an event to drive. Some have said the 458 has lost some of that. Best you drive a 360 and a 430. I believe you will make the switch.

3. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Both cars are amazing machines, but in a totally different way. You seem to have a taste of the difference from your 458 drive. Go test drive a 360 and 430 and see if it has the same impact.

My personal experience owning and driving Porsches for many years (I've never owned a Turbo but driven several) is that none compare with the experience of my 360.

4. maple quilt

maple quilt Rookie

Mar 29, 2012
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    S. Carter
    I have driven a few 997 TT's and currently still own two other Porsches. I had been contemplating the same thing you are and recently purchased a 07 F430. The comparisons are difficult and I am certain that all that chime will say the same basic thing... you can drive a Porsche every day and they are reliable (to an extent) and fun to drive. I agree with that BUT ... for me.... driving the Ferrari is exhilarating and again for me, more enjoyable. When people see a Porsche they say "there's a Porsche"... when they see an F430... they take out there camera :)

2bf360 likes this.
  5. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I'ma lookin' to buy a 997 right now and the experience is COMPLETELY different than my 360. The Porsche will make a wonderful DD.. but there is no comparison how much more exciting the 360 is. The 360 just gives you so much more feedback in with steering feel and "seat of the pants" feel.

6. The Nutsack

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I actually view the flashiness as one of the negatives of the Ferrari. Every time I drive my 360 I see many cars all around me that are worth more $$$, but nobody is staring at them! You could pull up to starbucks in a GT3 and nobody has a clue. But a 308 will get gawkers all around. Just part of driving a Ferrari.

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I agree. I really had no idea how much attention my 360 would get. I find it a bit embarrassing sometimes. But hey, after 3 years, I still can't take my eyes off it either!

02360spider likes this.
  8. The Nutsack

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same with me, Glen. When i see another Ferrari, even if I'm driving mine at the time, I still gawk at it! So I understand it, but it's just not the reason I drive one.

9. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    #9 Zcobra1, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Been looking myself.....
    2009 TT stick sure is a nice all around car, don't you think ? Last Mezger motor
    and latest electronics, and stick.....I think the 09 will hold their value more than
    the 07/08 model years. Local dealer had a 08 GT2, for a day I think ! $118K awesome
    car and holding value well.

Love the GT3, but for a weekend, dinner, daily, not as comfy as the TT.
    On the track/back roads the Gt3 is killer though

10. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I used to own a 2007 997 TT and a 360 Modena at the same time. The Porsche was my semi daily driver while I used (and still do) the 360 for weekend fun. I loved the Porsche, but eventually traded it in on another Ferrari, a 612. I still have the 360 and 612, and for a special occasion vehicle it is 360 all day long for me. Note that the 997 TT is far quicker, but the feedback and feel of the 360 is a joy. For a daily driver I would go with the 997 TT, though. If you can swing it I would look into a 360 Challenge Stradale, but a "regular" Modena is great too - just don't expect it to be as fast as the 997 TT. I am not a convertible guy and would never opt for a convertible performance car, hence no spider for me.
    Jes

11. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    These guys hit the mail on the head, the Ferrari is more special and more of an event to drive, they are just lovely cars. Porsches can be faster and turbos generally will be but there is just something very special about a Ferrari. My GT2 is violently fast but I also enjoy driving my 6 speed manual F430 its just 2 totally different experiences. Then for a third more cruising and out to dinner or long trip, I also love my Aston Martin DB, that car has so much presence and beauty it's just a very classy GT car.

Stealthssfc likes this.
  12. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Yes, make the switch. Each day with a Ferrari is a good day. Therefore don't wait for the 458, you can buy it also a few years later.
    Regarding reliability: from a technical point of view the Ferrari isn't less reliable than the Porsche turbo! Drive it regularly, the most problems are coming (if there are problems! I never had) from standing around.
    Regarding dd; of course, the Porsche is a "better" dd. But the real reason is; the Ferrari is too flashy to go with him to work or to go with him to the shopping mall! ;)

13. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The 360 is an event every time you get behind the wheel.

Like a lot here, I have owned 911's, including 3 Turbo's, but all air cooled except for the 04 GT3, which I traded on the 360. They are a lot of fun for sure, and bullet proof.

BUT, once you own a Ferrari you will just "get it".

There is no substitute for me. None.
    Plus the 360 feels like it's going a lot faster than it really for normal driving, where the Porsche dont. Thats my take anyway.

14. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
    Ferrari is ferrari

15. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    It is hard to miss the excitement factor of owning a Ferrari. There is just something special about driving a Ferrari...both internally and externally. Good luck!

16. bocaf430

bocaf430 Formula 3

Jun 10, 2014
    LI, boca raton
    I had a 996tt tiptronic with a flash and exhaust, and it was quicker then my F430.. I do miss the car, but I do like the F430 better.... the 996tt was more of a everyday car when compared to the Ferrari... so it really depends on your needs, driving conditions etc.

17. Monteman

Monteman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 9, 2006
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Monte
    I have a GT3RS and a Challenge Stradale. I toy with selling the RS at least a couple times a year....I never fathom selling the CS.

The Porsche is a GREAT car but it just doesn't give me that same thrill the CS does. I had a huge Porsche friend ask me the same question so we went out for a drive in both cars and when we came back his only comment was "OK, now I get it."

No contest the Porsche is the cheaper car to own and it could be argued that it is more reliable but there is that little something missing that I can't quite put my finger on.

18. 93ls1rx7

93ls1rx7 Rookie

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks guys. Since it isnt my DD, I think I have my answer.

Now the problem is which one. I REALLY love the subtle differences of the 430 Scuderia...the little bits like the exhaust on the back end etc.

But I dont want it to be to "harsh" because it wont see many if any track days. Guess I need to get off my butt and drive a couple.

19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Yes you do. If I could afford a Scud I would look no further. Not too harsh I've been told too.

20. Texas Turbo

Texas Turbo Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Echoing everyone here, I too have had numerous Porsches... current DD is a new cayman. There is nothing like a Ferrari. I love Porsches too, but the experience doesn't come close. Scud/CS or 6-speed manual cars would be my recommendation. Good luck and don't wait too long like I did!!!

21. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    How about a challenge stradale? If you want more of an event when you drive it, that's the car to have IMO.

22. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    That is for sure, just like Monteman said and I will say the same.

I traded my 996 GT3 for the Stradale. I am now getting a 997 GT3 but that is to go next to the Stradale not to replace it.

Be sure and test drive which ever car you consider and test drive it with someone who knows how to drive that particular model because some like the Stradale take a bit of getting used to and you may get the wrong impression and miss out on a great opportunity.

23. 93ls1rx7

93ls1rx7 Rookie

Nov 13, 2014
    Why does everyone say that the CS is more of an event than a 430 or Scud? Cause it is more raw? Less electronics?

24. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's not so much that it's less of an event, but if a 458 is out of the price range, a scud probably is too. Compared to a 430, it's a sharper and more focused car if not really any faster.

25. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Okay I'll say it because nobody really is. Comparing my GT2 to my F430 ... Both 3 pedal. The P feels incredibly connected, faster, and has just as good driver feedback. On the switchbacks both feel great, on track both are competent but nod to the GT2 for faster lap times. There really is no substitute for Porsche they may not look as sexy as Ferrari but nobody gets the job done better than Porsche at the of the day, period.

This is not to say I don't love Ferrari I do. They are very special and have a certain "it" factor that cannot be ascertained through performance data or numbers. They just feel special to drive and own. As for models. The 360 in my opinion is just too slow, albeit a nice looking car, the CS is sweet and special and sounds incredible but again too slow, it's a nice collector car and amazing looks. The 360 cars do sound amazing w 5 valves per cylinder for sure. The F430 has good power, including scud which in addition is fitted w an Epic gearbox. All things considered I went with the F430 in 3 pedal because it was the last 3 pedal for the range, that was important for me as I feel it's the proper connected driving experience not to mention very rare and last of breed. Originally I was looking for a 458, then looked at scuds, but when I found a very rare optioned Nero ds F430 with 3 pedal, carbon sports seats, full interior leather with deviated yellow stitching, shields, carbon brakes w yellow calipers, and polished challenge wheels I had to go for it...I ran it by several Ferrari owners and collectors and they all said buy the car it's a unicorn, the owner of the Ferrari service shop said he's never seen one come thru quite like this from the factory and told me she is definitely the one to get!

The way I see it Ferrari and Porsche need each other, they push each other to become better, to innovate, and to exist in the spirit of competition. Without each other neither would be as great.