DIY: Battery Replacement | FerrariChat

DIY: Battery Replacement

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Nov 15, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Here you go for sharing:

I just replaced my battery and chose the Odyssey 34R-PC1500T. Couldnt be happier.
    Excellent battery.

The Odyssey is an AGM, a sealed battery so there is no danger of battery fluid leakage which is poisonous and highly corrosive.

The old Interstate MTP-91 installed in the car leaked and corroded the battery tray. No more lead batteries for me.

Here are some battery comparison:
    Original car battery was FIAM VR760.
    Type: AGM. Weight: 45lbs. 760CCA.
    Cost: $325.00 OEM

Interstate MTP-91
    Type: Lead Acid. Weight: 35lbs. 700CCA
    Cost: $160.00

Odyssey 34R-PC1500T
    Type: AGM. Weight: 49 lbs. 850CCA.
    Cost: $260.00.

I chose the Odyssey 34R-PC1500T. Although its 4 lbs heavier than FIAM, 15 lbs heavier than Interstate, the Odyssey is sealed AGM battery and the most powerful at 850CCA.
    It is also deep cycle battery which means it can be fully discharged without much degradation.

Here are some tips/procedures:
    1) Turn off Battery Master Power Switch first. This switch is located inside the luggage compartment, top left. See photo.

2) Remove Ground Cable first! Then remove positive cable. Slide old battery out.

3) Install new battery.

3) Connect positive cable, connect Ground Cable last. This is to avoid sparks.

Odyssey battery are shipped pre-charged so you should be good to go and it is ready for use.

Ensure your battery charger / maintainer has a mode for AGM battery.

I bought a new one and chose the NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer. Great battery charger and has a mode for AGM type battery.

Odyssey 34R-PC1500T battery here: Use APEX5 discount code to get 5% discount. Total price is $254.00 including shipping.
    Odyssey 34R-PC1500T Battery

Or order from Amazon for $295.00:
    Amazon.com: Odyssey Batteries 34R-PC1500T-A Automotive/Light Truck and Van Battery: Automotive

NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer here:
    Amazon.com: NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive

Hope that helps.

Dan

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    #2 whatheheck, Nov 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are some photos for sharing:

Additional notes:

I am an electrical engineer by trade and I am anal about safety. As you can see on photo number 9 I added a rubber pad on top of the battery to protect the battery terminals and prevent any accidental short circuit in case I drop a screw driver or wrench or something while working around that area.

Dont forget to install the battery charger cable terminals.

I also replaced the battery access panel screws from philips screws to hex bolts (much easier to remove and replace using power tools, looks much better too.

A good kit to use is Griots Garage tamper proof tool kit: Great quality. Cheap! $20.00
    113-Piece Tamper-Proof Bit Set - Griot's Garage

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
  4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Dan
    Looks like you replaced the corroded battery tray as well. Did the OEM hold down bar work okay?
    Alan

5. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Dan, this is very helpful thanks! I use the same batter charger/maintainer that you mention here.

In fact I have at least 3 of them, actually I think 4 of them. I have the smallest version for my Motorcycle and the same size as you bought for the Ferrari and a larger one for my Wife's BMW X1 since it really drains the battery often.

The Griots Garage tamper proof tool kit you mention is something I have wanted for a long time but did not know it existed, I have ordered it already!

Thanks for sharing :)

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome Antonio.

Looks like you type too fast.....

Take care.

Dan

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Alan,

I did not replace the battery tray. I just scrubbed it & cleaned it really really well with baking soda and water. Then I applied corrosive resistant grease. Hence I added a non slip mat under the battery so it wont move around the tray.

The OE battery hold down bar worked perfect. No adjustment required.

Have a great weekend Alan.

Dan

8. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Carm,

Thanks for the appreciation. Glad I can help.

And thanks for letting me know the NOCO Smart Charger works great for you. Its my first time to try it so I am hoping it works well. The online reviews are all positive.

Glad to hear you too could use the Griots Garage tamper proof tool kit. I have two of them and I use mine all the time as it has pretty much all the bits we need for day to day use around the car and the house. The only thing it doesnt have is the 5 point torx bit that we need for the MAF sensor. I had to buy that one separate.

I have so much Griots stuff inside my garage as Griots headquarters is only an hour from my house so I drive there frequently to check out all their nice stuff. Great people, great products and great customer service.

Have a great weekend!

Dan

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks, Dan. Great write-up! I'll just add for the benefit of others reading this thread that you *must* use an AGM compatible battery maintainer as Dan used (with a specific AGM mode), or else your battery won't be kept in proper condition. I use a CTEK 7002, but Dan's also has an AGM mode. The reason is that AGM batteries have a slightly higher fully charged voltage than ordinary lead acid batteries. If you use a regular maintainer, it will think the battery is fully charged when actually it is not.

10. ChuckStyl5

ChuckStyl5 Karting

Mar 28, 2004
    The Armpit
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Chuck- Not on Odyssey's site, it does not. Shows the one Dan bought. Not sure where Amazon got their info.

12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks!

And you are absolutely correct. AGM batteries peak at 14.7 volts when fully charged so if you have an AGM battery and use a regular battery tender it will only charge your battery up to 12 Volts, then it stops charging and goes to trickle / maintain mode.

Dan

13. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dan- 12 volt batteries are actually 14 volt batteries and normal lead acid batteries will reach a charge higher than 12 volts.

14. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the info Taz.

Dan

15. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    So the CTEK 4.3 will not work on an AGM battery?
    Alan

16. Falcon Wing

Falcon Wing Formula 3

Aug 4, 2010
    Colorado Springs
    #16 Falcon Wing, Nov 17, 2014
    I have the CTEK on my Odyssey. See "Cold Weather Program" below from the instructions that came with the charger.

17. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  18. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    I have a CTEK 4.3 and I plan to order and install the Odyssey AGM on my 430 as soon as I can get around to it (and hopefully before I get stranded somewhere due to a dead battery!). So I'm glad to hear that it should charge okay. Nice to not have to replace a charger that I've been very happy with. Especially since I've got extended cabling wired nicely into the car.

This thread did cause me to wonder if everyone including myself, using the CTEK 4.3 with the stock Ferrari battery, might be using the wrong mode. The stock Ferrari battery is also an AGM. Does anyone know if we should be using the higher charge voltage program, ie the "cold" snowflake 14.7V program, with the stock Ferrari battery?

I've always used the regular car mode program on my CTEK 4.3 with my stock Ferrari battery.

19. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    #19 mountainman3520, Nov 23, 2014
    I was just reminded that you never really know what you are going to find when you dig into a car purchased used.

I've been having some trouble with my power system and was about to replace the battery in my 430 which I bought from a Ferrari dealer in Jan 2014. I assumed it had a stock FIAM battery, which was a foolish assumption in retrospect since of course the battery has been changed a few times since the car was new and only the most devout stay with the OEM FIAM battery.

Tonight I opened the battery compartment to survey the situation before ordering an Odyssey 34R-PC1500T, and found the situation in the attached photo.

It already has an Odyssey PC1220 installed!

This would be good news. Except that for the last year I've been charging it using a CTEK 4.3 on regular car mode. Hence I guess I've been under-voltage charging it, right?

What would likely be the long-term effect of a year of charging an AGM Odyssey battery on a charger on regular battery mode? Might explain my dead battery?

In any case, I am ordering the 34R-PC1500T tonight since I have no idea how old the current PC1220 may be.

Recommendation to everyone: confirm exactly what battery is in your Ferrari if you did not personally select/install it. Otherwise you may be charging it incorrectly.

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Dan,

There is a date stamp on top of the Odyssey Battery. But of course its only good if the previous owner took the time to pull the tab on Month and Year when the battery was installed.

Batteries are cheap considering we cant really jump start our cars and getting stranded and getting a tow is really embarrassing once our battery suddenly dies as we are unsure of its age.

I highly recommend the 34R-PC1500T. And I also recommend the NOCO Smart Battery Charger G3500.

Amazon.com: NOCO Genius G3500 6V/12V 3.5 Amp Smart Battery Charger and Maintainer: Automotive

See also my post number 30 here if that helps you:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430/467972-better-way-mount-route-battery-tender-2.html

Dan

21. mountainman3520

mountainman3520 Karting

Nov 11, 2013
    Silicon Valley, Cali
    Full Name:
    Dan Gilley
    Thanks Dan.

I ordered an Odyssey 34R-PC1500T, and got a great price directly from the mfg as they are having a sale right now. Fchat friends - check out their website!

I've not yet pulled out the Odyssey PC1220 to check the date code from the prior owner but I'll probably replace it in any case, even if its just a year or two old. Like you say, its a pretty big deal to strand a Ferrari on the side of the road due to a dead limited availability battery. I do NOT want to be that guy! So since I have no idea if the prior owner treated this battery with love, I think I'll just swap it now.

I plan to write the install date on the front of the battery with a black sharpee so its easily visible after removing the foot panel, without pulling the battery out.

It looks like the NOCO Smart Battery Charger G3500 is pretty much identical to the CTEK 4.3. Both are 7 or 8 step high-tech chargers that have a cold/AGM mode that should work well with these Odyssey batteries. I have a few of the CTEK 4.3s so unless someone knows of a significant difference between the two, I'll keep using what I've got.

My new battery is in the mail!

I'm going to create another thread soliciting recommendations for the best way to measure battery drain current to confirm nothing else in the car contributed to my prior dead battery after a week off the trickle charger.

22. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome Dan.

Great idea on replacing your battery and also marking the date installed in front of the battery. I did the same thing except instead of sharpie I used a label maker. Great minds think alike.

CTEK is just as good as the NOCO smart battery charger as they both charge AGM and has multiple step charge mode. You should be good to do. Keep us posted.

And happy thanksgiving to you and your entire family!

Dan

23. MPtolomey

MPtolomey Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2014
    Odessa, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark Ptolomey
    With the 20% off the battery is now $220, that's the lowest I have seen on the Odyssey 34R-PC1500T. Think I will order one today as I don't know how long the current battery has been in my car.

24. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You cant beat their current pricing. I paid $256.00 for mine just 3 weeks ago so $220 is an awesome deal.

For that price, like you said, Its worth replacing the battery especially if some owners is unsure how old their battery is.

Thanks for posting.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Dan

25. dparker94348

dparker94348 Rookie

Mar 1, 2009
    Houston
    Full Name:
    David J. Parker
    #25 dparker94348, Dec 20, 2014
    Last month I ordered a 34R-PC1500T from Apex, and it was damaged in shipping, so I called and they promptly sent a replacement. If anybody wants to take a chance on what appears to be cosmetic damage to the case only (no leakage; voltage tests fine), you can have it for the cost of shipping. And I'll ship it in the box they sent the replacement in, which is ten times stouter than the first. PM me if interested.

Best holiday wishes, tifosi!

Dave

ps - Apex Battery rocks!