Better Way To Mount/Route Battery Tender | FerrariChat

Better Way To Mount/Route Battery Tender

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ron328, Nov 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #1 Ron328, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I have used an extension cord

3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
  4. enoyskt

enoyskt Karting

May 25, 2014
    Cali
    Full Name:
    S
    i use an extension cord just fine. You could also do a drop down from the ceiling when using an extension cord.

5. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I run mine on the floor and up under the closed door.

6. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Thank you very much guys. I wasn't sure initially if it is safe to use an extension cord. (I've read about ??voltage spikes but don't quote me on this...I may just have misunderstood my source).

Thanks for the link, Dan. I'll get a 16g.

Glen, wouldn't the cable get squeezed if I route it under the closed door?

7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Mine doesn't and it looks like the same thin wires. The door rubbers are pretty soft.

8. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    Def. use an extension cord (I do, mine is plugged into my CEILING!!!). Also, I let the charger sit on the ground and I run the wire through the passenger's door, at the leading edge just behind the front pass-side wheel well. I think this is the location that Ferrari recommends using for the charger wire.

PS:Winter storage mode sucks... :(

9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You're welcome Ron.

Actually, the owners manual recommends routing the battery charger cable under the passenger side door. The rubber door sills wont crush the cable.

The problem with this approach in my case though is - I wont see the battery charger cable hooked up and will most likely make a mistake and just drive out of the garage with the charger still hooked up to the car and drag the dang thing along while I drive for miles. Urgh!

Dan

10. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    LOL, I was worried about this as well. I have forced myself to do a mental "checklist" before starting the ignition. One of the things is to look in the pass. footwell for the charger cable. It seems like we need a checklist prior to mobilizing our 360's, doesn't it?
    Check Immobilizer
    Wait for "Check OK" status
    Let your pop-out radio get fully deployed before starting engine (optional)
    drop the spider top (optional) - that's probably better to do after ignition...
    Check battery charger cable
    etc...

11. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Don't you go through a warm up cycle before driving off?
    Make this tender removal part of that

12. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    #12 Graz, Nov 17, 2014
    May I ask for suggestions? I wish I could put the charger on the ground but the cable is not long enough to reach the AC outlet. Can I use an electrical extension cord? Wife also complaining she has to walk around the left side of the car to adjust sprinkler control. Thanks in advance.

There is no problem using an extension cord. I run the wire under the passenger side door and leave the charger on the floor. Do a walk around before you drive the car to check for retained charger :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    I went with the Ferrari recommended location for my charger, behind the drivers seat. This allows me to plug into the wall with no extension cord and I leave the charger on the wall. I also keep my windows down on my car when its in the garage so no crushing the cord or door rubber.

By having it on the drivers side its CLEARLY obvious when you get in/out of the car so there is no chance of driving away with the tender attached.

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Ha-ha! I see this happening to my wife (more than myself...knock on wood) :).

15. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Thank you. I will route it under the door then. I usually do a walk around before driving.

16. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Thanks. I think that's another great option to consider.

17. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Seriously simple to route it behind the drivers seat...my 360 anyway was easy. Just run the plug just outside the cover behind the driver seat and it is easily plugged in and never forgotten.

18. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #18 Bob in Texas, Nov 17, 2014
  19. Gangsta

Gangsta Karting

Oct 20, 2013
    Montreal, QC
    Funny that you blurred the garage mess! LOL!

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Any good ways to get from the battery to the exterior with a permanent connector wire?
    Presumably somewhere in the RF fenderwell area?

On the TR, it is an easy route to leave a connector dangling (an inch or so) just in front of the RF tire.

Thanks, Vincenzo

21. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I thought he was hiding what kind of kinky tool girl calendar displays he is into! Our loss! LOL

22. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    I have a 430 and I use the Factory Charger plug on A Ctek...It won't let the Car start if the Battery Charger is plugged in...I use the Recommended passenger door to run the Cord out. If its plugged in and you turn key on...a battery symbol shows up on information screen....Plus you can't start car, so you can't drive off with it.

23. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #23 Ron328, Nov 17, 2014
    I took the easy way out in the interim. You've addressed my concerns (use of extension cord being safe and rubber door sills not crushing the charger cable). There is no AC outlet on the driver side of my garage, so, it was easier on the passenger end.

Thanks everyone for all your input.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    #24 sunir, Nov 18, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
    I have a tandem garage (row home in the city) so I have to use 2 cteks with the cars parked one behind the other. The F430 I run a ctek comfort extension from the floor with passenger window down place a microfiber on the door to run to a surge protector mounted on the wall. This allows for an extension chord to run behind the for the other Ctek which is run to the GT2 battery in the trunk using the eyelets. When I have the Aston Martin DB in the garage as well I have to use a standard rear trunk adapter or the cigarette lighter plug, in each case the battery locations are in different places so I normally route things with the extension chord and microfibers so that no part of any wires touches any part of the any of the cars, running the wiring and routing the chord on the garage edges allowing for easy garage ingress and egress.

25. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel

Hi Vincenzo, in my 512TR I have it all the opposite way !

The little charger is permanently bolted to the battery poles and I open the bonnet and connet it to the maines/220volt powerline.

Allways there, also at other places available and you can not drive away leaving it on :)