BEWARE of AZ Dealer "JSC Motorcars". How NOT to buy a Ferrari | FerrariChat

BEWARE of AZ Dealer "JSC Motorcars". How NOT to buy a Ferrari

Discussion in '360/430' started by HKE46Boy, Nov 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HKE46Boy

HKE46Boy Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2004
    CA
    Full Name:
    RENN Spec
    I am posting this for a friend who recently acquired a SCUD but can't post here because he's new

To those of you who are looking to get into a F-car, DO YOUR HOMEWORK and LOOK AT THE CAR first UNLESS you are 1000000% sure the car is in the condition you are expecting.

Here's my story and please read it **** PICTURES WILL FOLLOW in a day or two

I was shopping for a high mileage Scuderia for other purpose not just personal, I came across this black one with 27k miles on OVE for $138k (also listed on retail websites for $145k), the dealer is JSC Motorcars from Scottsdale, AZ. Apparently he sells most of the ex-rentals from Exotic Rental in Las Vegas.

The pictures looked decent enough and the only problems being described are repainted driver side fender, door and rear quarter panel, however they are original. No books no tool kits no window stickers and no service records. Carfax is clean however.

He mentioned that PPI was done by an independent mechanic named Corney who used to work at Ferrari Scottsdale, and they no longer do PPI over there. The only problems from the PPI were the engine mounts and belts, and they were replaced. Nothing else was mentioned. PPI stated the clutch had 76% and brakes are at 90%.

Knowing the car was an ex-rental with 27k miles, I kind of knew what I am expecting. I knew the car had been driven all the time and most likely being serviced somehow. which is kind of a good thing.

I was going to fly out there to inspect the car before I sign the contract (I use Putnam Leasing), but due to schedule and my laziness, i had a very short window of time to make it there and back, so I decided to go ahead and buy it based on the words from the seller and the mechanic. He described the car as in EXCELLENT CONDITION and the best he has seen from all the Scuds he has got recently.

Here's the fun part

the car arrived today and I was somewhat shocked to see a F car like this, literally, a F$(@# car

first impression

- car smells like crap (gas) in the cabin, reminds me of my JDM cars from 10 years ago.
    - exhaust rattles
    - TPM light on
    - Service light on
    - interior condition is worse than a Toyota with 100k miles
    - missing interior trim here and there
    - found a nut in passenger side door pocket, not sure where it belongs to
    - Radio LCD screen is fading out

Took the car to a test drive, there were rattles from interior and front suspension, but mechanically the car felt OK

Taking a closer look

- more area were repainted than the seller had described, if not the whole car, however all panels were original as far as I could tell.
    - calipers were repainted (overspray on brake pad, rotors, and uneven coating on the caliper itself)
    - engine cover is supposed to be carbon fiber but sprayed black, and missing HALF the screws
    - headlight has common spider web/foggy problem
    - windshield has a chip
    - windshield was replaced and has a rubber trim hanging between it and the dashboard
    - engine cover glass mis-aligned
    - signs of engine cover rubbing against the car, chipped paint on the side

I get sick just seeing this F car.

Any suggestions? Keep the car and restore it to better shape and sell it? or file suit against the seller for not disclosing the major issues of the car? He insist the car is in perfect condition for its age and price.

I would rather spend 200k for a proper Scud or 140k for a regular F430.

2. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    I never quite understand theses posts. Your friend was obviously induced to buy something based upon false representations. If those representations were materially false and if your friend reasonably relied upon said representations, he should get a estimate regarding the repairs and take them to a lawyer and file a claim, assuming your friend is serious about this issue. If he is just venting through this post and if he is not serious, that's another story.

Good luck either way.

3. DrG.

DrG. Karting

Jan 2, 2010
    Limassol-CYPRUS
    Full Name:
    George Eleftheriou
    Would you marry someone, based on photos and descriptions?

4. English Rebel

English Rebel Formula 3

Aug 13, 2013
    Piedmont Area of NC
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Not sure why your friend cannot post here -- "because he's new" doesn't mean anything. He should just join and post.
    Alan

5. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I'd consider it ;)

6. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    hehe yeah thats what I did :) just tell your friend to post here, that simple

7. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've driven 3 scuds at exotics racing - they all had check-engine lights on and various detail issues...

Honestly, the problems you detail are not really that bad given the abuse these cars take. A typical scud at Exotics will run just about non-stop on a busy day. They usually have 2 of them so they can give them a little break. It's Las Vegas...people sweat; the interior takes abuse. However, if they lied or misrepresented things, that is different.

My engine cover was misaligned at some point also and has a rub.

The suspension rattles are somewhat typical. You can tighten things up there and reduce the noise dramatically. Threads on that.

Gas smell is a concern if you think it could actually be a leak.

The engine cover is not CF underneath if that is what you are expecting...it is black paint.

Calipers repainted is unacceptable based on your description.

If you are dissatisfied and feel it was misrepresented, then I would ask them to buy it back. I think you can get a scud with less "work" to be done in the 150s-160s.

Good luck.

8. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    FWIW, the OP indicated that the car might have come from "Exotics Rental" and not "Exotics Racing" in Las Vegas. I am uncertain if that is a differentiating point or not. I waited a while before posting on this thread, because I wasn't sure if I would or wouldn't.

Regardless, I feel like people buying cars which have a known history of rental use should be a little bit more careful in the process. How on EARTH could an ex-rental car, with "high mileage," be represented as anything close to "excellent condition?" And this is according to the seller and the mechanic? How could you possibly know if they have some sort of relationship or not? It's impossible if you think about the economics:
    1. Ex-rental car goes on the market, with rental use disclosed. Immediate hit of 10-15 percent (that's probably conservative).
    2. Maintenance history is unknown or otherwise undisclosed. Basically, these cars get fuel, oil changes, and tires. They get the minimum possible investment to keep them in operation. Do they care if, when you get in, the CEL or Gearbox light is on? Nope. Do you care? Not really. Do you drive it ANY different if it's injured? Probably not.
    2a. If the maintenance history is unknown, and assumed to be minimal, what motivation would the seller have to "recondition" or otherwise "refurbish" the car prior to sale when the selling price is already going to be relatively low? No motivation - they want their cash / equity back out of the car immediately, regardless of how much that is. Remember, the rental car company is a business. Money tied up in the Scud (to-be-sold) is money that could otherwise be used to buy a new car, which is a revenue stream.

I'm really sorry that this happened to the OP's acquaintance. But, careful due diligence could probably have avoided this situation. "Schedule and laziness" really aren't two reasons in favor of justifying this purchase. They're more like excuses. Sorry, but it seems like the buyer got burned and didn't look carefully after his money on the purchase. The seller was trying to unload a so-so car (and maybe that's generous - the buyer thinks its a dog) and found a hasty buyer - seller wins.

Did the seller misrepresent the car? Maybe - we only have 1 side of the story. Does it happen all the time? YES! Caveat Emptor - buyer beware, right? So many cliches here - "If it's too good to be true, it probably is." also comes to mind.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I never buy a used car without seeing it myself and taking a test drive or ride.

9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    +1 on above..

I'll chime in here as mine was perhaps an analogous car. When I bought mine, the only thing that I asked the seller was "does it drive". Granted I had a PPI done by a local shop and he used the term it being a "5-6/10 condition". My 360 was a cheap car with high miles. I didn't care and I knew I would need to "restore it" to its current nice condition (see witness by other FCar owners). He can either restore it and keep it or contest the sell and get a lawyer and sell it back, etc. etc. I chose to restore mine and don't regret it a minute. Alot of the rattles are probably small things to fix. FYI trusting their mechanic did the PPI wasn't too smart. I don't mean to sound accusatory.. we've all been there. But once the money is spent.. it's hard to get it back.

10. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No, you are a 100% correct; just trying to help. You have to assume you are about to get screwed if this world unfortunately.

11. star4747

star4747 Formula Junior

Dec 28, 2010
    Midwest - USA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    +1

12. teej

teej Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2009
    Pacific Palisades
    Can the OP state how much was paid for the car not just what it was listed for?

Value = condition ...and that is context for what you should expect.

13. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    #13 IDriveM5, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    Yeah, I think especially with used cars (regardless of the brand of used car) is an area that runs rampant with misrepresentation and borderline (or perhaps outright) fraud.

I sure would like to hear from the buyer in this case, don't know if that's possible or not. Mostly for my own curiosity.

14. didimao0072000

didimao0072000 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    buying a rental + unreasonable expectations + the above = disaster.

Not sure what outcome your buddy was expecting. Common sense would dictate that if you knowingly buy a rental, you would invest more time and effort to make sure the car was ok unless you got it at absolute rock bottom price.

15. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    There is the problem ... do you see it?

Yes, you did see it!

16. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    HOORAY! This thread is going up on my refrigerator!!! GOLD STAR FOR ME!!!

17. BGA23

BGA23 Rookie

Dec 2, 2012
    Scottsdale
    Caveat emptor.

I would never buy anything solely based upon the words of the seller, especially a used car salesman. Doing so is just asking for trouble.

Sucks for your buddy and first thing he should do is get an estimate to see what'll it cost to "restore" it. Once he knows this cost he can decide to repair it or sell and let someone else fix it. I'm sure someone will buy it and take on this cost. Your friend will lose some money and I guess he can chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I don't think going the route of a lawyer will get him anywhere though.

18. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Beat me to it. The seller is always going to describe the car in the most positive way possible. The buyer needs to do his homework before buying. If he doesn't, he really can't blame anyone for being dissatisfied with his purchase, aside from material false statements, which would be cause for legal action. The hassle associated with such an action also falls under caveat emptor (could have been avoided if buyer would have done his due diligence).

I didn't get a PPI on my scud before buying because I couldn't find anyone local to do one, but I at least carefully inspected the car and took it for a test drive before signing the dotted line.

19. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Lesson learned....next. There will be no way back to your money so that was the cost of the lesson. In my mind an ex-rental car automatically takes 40% hit on resale. Hopefully you got it at 40% less than a comparable car that was treated better.

20. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    #20 Voda, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Uhh...yeah
    Actually no need for description...photos enough
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1

22. proof69

proof69 Formula 3

Sep 14, 2014

I am always amazed that people that have this kind of money to spend on a car are so stupid. Probably a trust fund baby or received a large Inheritance. People that work for there hard earned dollars do their due diligence. A rental car agency is always a red flag whether you are talking an exotic or a Chevy. It is a known fact that rental cars are beat to death.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yeah but here's the key. They actually buy one.

They don't talk about it.. BS'ing with their friends, talking.. talking.. talking... "deciding"..

They DO. That's what gives Credibility.

24. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    It's a good point, but are they actually better off simply because they did take the plunge? In the case of the OP's acquaintance, maybe not. How does the saying go? Something like if you're consistently wrong, at least you're being consistent?

And FWIW, when I bought (and I realize this may be unique to me), the only two people who knew I was looking for a Ferrari were my wife and my Dad. That had its ups & downs, and even after I bought, I didn't tell anybody (thanks to the advice on this very site). I let them find out on their own. But, that's probably O/T.

Usually I agree with you Curt, this time, I find myself on the other side. Regardless of the outcome of this particular situation, a little more study was probably warranted. And even the "talking talking talking deciding" you refer to might have saved some headache if anybody could have pointed out the (rather obvious) red flags to the buyer. I dunno. In the case of buying a Ferrari (or just about any car, especially used), it's probably not harmful to have the discussion before you write the check. It's like jumping into the water pool and not knowing how deep it is, I guess. I realize you had a little bit of a similar experience with your 360 ("does it run?") but you knew from the beginning you were willing to take on a "project," and barring any catastrophes, you're never gonna sell your car. I think these are big differences between your case and the subject of this thread.

Making a major move in the absence of doing your homework properly doesn't make the move alright. I wouldn't want to buy credibility in this manner.

Edit: I realize you already said "+1 on the above" earlier in this thread. :)

25. Voda

Voda Formula 3

Oct 10, 2013
    Seattle
    +1. He's back