Thinking of buying a 2006 F430 manual. | FerrariChat

Thinking of buying a 2006 F430 manual.

Discussion in '360/430' started by maverick1, Nov 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maverick1

maverick1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2006
    split BC and Cali
    Owning a Ferrari is one item on my bucket list, and I love the look and sound of the F430, plus it's the last of a dying breed, as I would want the 6 speed manual transmission.
    Just wondering how reliable these cars are and what kind of yearly maintenance costs I can expect to pay?
    I should mention that I plan on driving it a lot, so it won't be a garage queen. Say at least 8,000 miles per year.
    Is it a must to take it to a Ferrari dealer for service?
    I currently own a 2005 Porsche Boxster and I've done most of the service including changing the.....engine oil, the transmission oil, the drive belt, the brake fluid, the rotors and pads, air filter, pollen filter. Only thing left are the spark plugs.
    Also, is it a good idea to take it to a dealer for a PPI? Any idea of the cost for a PPI.
    Can you gents please let me know what to look for when buying a used F430?
    I've watched many videos and just love the intoxicating howl of the engine/exhaust on that car.
    I thought about a Porsche GT3 but since Porsche has stopped making a manual transmission for the GT3 the older cars are really keeping their value, so I thought why not a Ferrari.
    The only mechanical issues I've read about the F430 are the failing exhaust manifolds.
    Are there any other issues with this car?
    I know lots of questions, but it is a substantial purchase,and any input would be appreciated.
    Cheers

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Your best starting point is to spend a lot of time reading all the threads which are identical to yours here and come back with any questions that remain unanswered

Oh and fill in your profile since no costs given have any validity unless we know where in the world you are located

PS top lurking : 8 1/2 years !

3. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I bought my 3 pedal coupe new in 2005. Manifolds were changed under warranty. I've had nothing but very minor issues. Annual service averages about 800. per year at dealer. Independents are fine.

Dave

4. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    My opinion is that 430s are pretty darn bulletproof outside of the exhaust manifold issue, which can be completely twarted with an aftermarket header/exhaust setup. I was planning on doing this mod to my 430, but decided to go in a different direction. Not much sounds better than a 430 or 360 WOT and a 6MT is quickly becoming the much sought after item. Be prepared to pay a premium for the car. A member on this sight named bkthomps has one for sale that hasn't hit the masses yet. I would suggest that if you are a serious buyer, you contact him asap before it hits the market officially. I have owned over a dozen supercars at this point and I would consider the F430 6MT a "great" car that is more fun than you should be allowed to have by law! Good luck and enjoy!:)

5. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Dave its your real life experience with your 3 pedal 430 that keeps me looking at the 430.

Last year I went with a Stradale instead of the 430 but if I ever let the Stradale go I would most likely replace it with a 3 pedal 430.

I no longer have the 355 by the way.
    Ciao

6. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    I fear you would be disappointed!

7. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Thanks for the input, I will be sure and drive/ride in a 430 3 pedal car a bunch before making that potential move.

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I have a 07 430 MT spider and have had no major issues. I agree with Dave but his annual service costs are way below average. My dealer charges 3 times that much. My indie charged me 1300 for a full fluid change. I do it annually now instead of bi-annually.

Its a great car. I don't plan on selling anytime soon.

9. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    #9 mtmilam, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Problem is FINDING A 6 sp. manual....I bought Treviso's on a whim, I just happened to be the first to call him....I still have a 328 I love shifting and always said a 430 with gated shifting should be heaven....IT IS!! :D ....I also have a 2014 Boxster that is a absolute joy to drive.....The Porsche is a Fun Driver...the Ferrari is an "Event" to Drive.:D.....I'm trying to find another 6 speed man for a friend....so far only 360 have come up.....If you want a good 328, let me know....you can ride the profit margin up with it, while you look for a 430 manual. :D

Does it get better than this?....Wife and I ripping through the Gears, chasing my Brother in his California...:D

Ferrari 430 and California, Laberge Rally, 2014 - YouTube

Yeah....its worth looking for a 6 sp gated. Thanks again Robert...enjoying your Car !!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    3 pedal F430 is becoming the unicorn! Get 'em while you can! They are special cars for sure.

11. Treviso

Treviso Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Mark,
    I am so happy that my 430 6MT Spider went to someone like you... a real enthusiast and lover of fine Ferraris. It really is the unicorn of modern Ferraris. As I have always said, we are simply stewards of these fine machines and they should be enjoyed by as many lovers of fine cars as possible. All the best my friend.
    Robert

12. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My 06 430 gearshift is the only car I ever regret getting rid of. In fact I am thinking of getting another one myself. They are not easy to find these days.

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Not a 430 owner but a 360 owner here who does a lot of his own work...

I would buy a 430 3 pedal in a heartbeat if I were looking. Personally the 360 fills my Ferrari needs so I'm good and dont need to upgrade. Routine maintenance is very DIY. The problem you'll find is diagnosis of the issue. ESP. With the electrical subsystems in the car. I've seen ediff issues as the only problem mentioned on here besides the headers. For this knowing a mechanic, read:Indy with an SD3 or Leonardo is a very good idea before you buy it. IMHO its nothing to hold anyone back from buying one as they are very reliable.. But consider someone local who can scan it if its needed.

FYI my 986 needed everything our did and ALOT more. I just bought a base 997 yesterday.

14. Chocorem

Chocorem Rookie

Nov 10, 2014
    I just bought a 2007 430 .... I was asking myself the same questions and all the answers can be found by reading ....

The main risks are

Exhaust manifolds
    High pressures hoses
    Pump
    Lambda
    Small electrical issues

Sent from my iPad using tapatalk